Revision Complete! out of the hospital!

sweetdew
on 10/3/10 2:22 pm - CA
Deb,

I dont know if we ever knew each other in the past or not but i am in real need of help.I had RNY in 2005 starting at 305 lbs, lost 126 never getting to goal (which was a remaining 30-40 lbs). then started gaining weight about 2 years ago and have now gained 70 lbs out of the 126.  I have tried and tried and tried and really want the DS. I live in Los angeles, do you have contacts, advise or information that you could share with me?

Thanks so much,
Sad girl
SkInNyMiN
on 9/28/10 8:30 am - NE
On September 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Pacific Time, Deb S. wrote:
Honestly, no offense to this board, but this board is highly...highly pro ds and anti most everything else. It would be like telling someone interested in bariatric surgery for the first time ONLY gastric bypass will work...if you get the sleeve or lapband..good luck! To me, that just wasn't right. There are different surgery options out there for a reason and different surgeons performing each and every one or we wouldn't be here.

So with that said, YES you will lose weight on an RNY revision. I am due to lose a good 80+ pounds on mine. My Dr. has had many success stories and prefers to go this route vs the ds bc of the "bathroom" issues as he described it with the ds. As long as you are compliant, you will have success.  Internet forums tend to be biased one way or another. They are good for reading and taking things with a grain of salt....but do more research beyond this before making your choice. And if ds... or rny... or sleeve or whatever ends up being right for your body, your situation ect, Go for it! We all deserve a second chance at this game !  :-)

I had LAP RNY 2004 and dropped 150# from that and kept it off until I went through a pretty emotional sexual harassment lawsuit against a former boss and the main culpret of my gain back was eating and drinking at the same time again and grazing. So 40# went back on. Then I got pregnant and had a higher risk pregnancy of placenta previa so my exercise went out the window. After giving birth however, I did lose the baby weight. Just not that initial 40 that I put on. I tried and fought for a year and a half with the insurance company. I had proof my pouch and stoma were stretched, I had a scope showing the hiatal hernia. None of that was good enough insurance wise. So it was suggested under the table so to speak that I gain a bit of weight and get the right BMI and get it done. So long story short, I did. I had a LAP RNY REVISION this time around. Basically he said my pouch was four times bigger than what it should have been.

My doctor has an excellent program at his office set up with two nutritional classes on premises, fitness instructor there if you need a consult and all the bariatric products you can ever think of if you would like to purchase and try. So look for a surgeon that does more than cut you up and send you out the door. They required us to sit through a nutritional class which really kind of gets your mind back into RNY mode. You have to relearn and re think how to eat as an RNYer again if it has been a while.

Right now, I have no appetite but I am on the liquid phase. I go to mush here pretty soon. Explore your options though and be open minded to ALL possibilities out there. I have visited other forums that are more biased towards a different form of revision. I would talk to the surgeons in your area and see the success rates first hand. See what is best for your particular body. And go from there. But yes, you will lose weight for sure on the RNY revision. There shouldn't be any reason why you won't unless you have other things going on. I have read some cases to where revisions have loss more so than first timers. I think there are alot of different reasons why some people do, and some people don't. It isn't so black and white as alot make it out to be.

I wish you all the best!
**We** are pro-ds because it works. I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world with your revision but I must ask WHY if the RNY failed you the first time you would have it done again? Personally if something fails me I'm not going in for round two I'm going to research and find a better option. Your doctor doesn't recommend the DS because he doesn't do it. If you go somewhere else he loses out on $$ does he not? So of course he wants you to have the RNY. And what DS "bathroom issues"? If you wonder over to the DS board you will see these "issues" are almost always NOT true and come out of the mouths of surgeons who do not do the DS. Again I wish you all the luck in the world with your revision but I can see you didn't do much research on your options, if you had you would know what your doctor said is not true.
Deb S.
on 9/28/10 9:25 am - Winton, CA
i failed the RNY.... it didn't fail me. It's a tool . remember? You can out eat, out stretch... out anything any surgery. My doctor used to do ds actually. But, since I am not him....you would have to ask him his personal reasons for not going there any longer. I can't speak for him

Again I wish you all the luck in the world with your revision but I can see you didn't do much research on your options, if you had you would know what your doctor said is not true. <<<<<<<<<<<<---------------

You just proved my whole flaming point in once sentence. Good job!

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/10 10:20 am
On September 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, Deb S. wrote:
i failed the RNY.... it didn't fail me. It's a tool . remember? You can out eat, out stretch... out anything any surgery. My doctor used to do ds actually. But, since I am not him....you would have to ask him his personal reasons for not going there any longer. I can't speak for him

Again I wish you all the luck in the world with your revision but I can see you didn't do much research on your options, if you had you would know what your doctor said is not true. <<<<<<<<<<<<---------------

I'm confused.  How / Why is this flaming?  Please clarify for me.

More research would have pointed out the error of the Dr.'s statement.

Good luck to you,
Michele
SkInNyMiN
on 9/28/10 12:22 pm - NE
On September 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, Deb S. wrote:

Flaming really? That was said in the nicest way possible, and it's the truth. If you had researched ALL surgery types, all the options you had you would know that what your surgeon said was false. I don't usually sugar coat things but I made sure I did in this one as I didn't want to come acrossed as bashing you for your choice. But I truly don't understand it. I've never met/heard of a DSer that needed a revision due to weight regain.
gbc1102
on 9/30/10 1:11 am - Durham, NC
I agree with you Deb.  I saw one post where a gentleman wanted the DS because "he didn't have to do much strenuous exercise, etc".  This to me lets me know that he only wants to be slim without having to work to stay that way.  Any of these surgeries are tools.  I don't know which I'm going to have yet but I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and decision and should not be bashed about their choice.  We are all here to help one another and I just hate it when I see posts that are so hurtful.  WE ARE HERE TO HELP ONE ANOTHER, NOT TO TEAR EACH OTHER DOWN BECAUSE OF THE CHOICE WE MAKE!!
Debbie M.
on 9/28/10 8:48 am
Hi Deb,
I don't think this board is particularly heavy DS.  It's interesting because when I read the Main Board or pick up a copy of Obesity Help Magazine, the majority of it is RNY related information.

Nothing wrong with that - I agree with your post that you need to research and do what's best for you givin the post op lifestyle you need to become accustomed to.  Being compliant is important no matter what surgery you have, you can out eat the best of them.  What I like about the DS though is it has the added malaborption component so when you eat something that maybe you shouldn't it's a very forgiving surgery.  I like that I have a pyloric valve that regulate what goes through, I like that I don't dump or have pouch issues.

I had an RNY and revised to a DS this past February.  So far, so good.  But I'm only 7 months out and have a long way to go.  The pouch wasn't for me, the stretched stoma I had caused weight gain, all of it.  But surely that doesn't happen to everyone, there are lots of RNY success stories unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

Great post - it's causing some good dialogue.

Take care,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Deb S.
on 9/28/10 9:28 am - Winton, CA
This is what we need more of!!!!! Awesome post! It shows every surgery isn't for every person. You had great success at yours and why you chose it. Simple as that.

haha I do think it is interesting though it stimulated dialoge. I am sure it would. People don't like it when others go against the tide. It's nature. But its almost comical to see how mad people get....at a post.  Seems a little crazy to me.

Thanks for posting

ginau
on 9/28/10 10:27 am - mesa, AZ
HI Deb

Just wanted to say congratulations on your revision!!  I am sure your already feeling better. I too am a RNY revised person.

Just curious- can I ask  what your common channel was revised too ?

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

gbc1102
on 9/30/10 1:15 am - Durham, NC
Debbie:  Thank you for that tidbit of information regarding the DS.  I don't think there is anyone in my area that performs the revision DS.  I asked my original surgeon (it was in 2003 when I had my initial RNY) about it and he staff said he does the revision DS.  He will be back from vacation next month and I will restart my work-up and get to talk with him about my options.  Again, thank you so much for the clarification.  BTW, may I ask what your initial weight was and what you regained to when you had your DS?
Most Active