Revision Complete! out of the hospital!

Deb S.
on 9/27/10 4:26 am - Winton, CA
Hi there! I am finally out of the hospital from my RNY revision. I went in thursday evening and was released Sunday afternoon. I had a hard time with a bad reaction to the morphine. Alot of nausea and vomitting. But after that was taken away and switched I started to come around. I am still really super sore. The revision took almost 4 hours to do. Had to make my pouch ALOT smaller, they said once they went in... it was huge! Then reduce the intestines and fix a hiatal hernia.
So I am still really super weak and get tired alot, alot of pain. But I am home. And sometimes that seems to be the world of difference. Tomorrow I have to sit through a nutrition class at my surgeons office and get my staples removed.

But .... in 4 days, I am already down 7 lbs!!! GO ME!!!
YAY!!!

Just thought I would share the good news. Thanks everyone :-)

smileyjamie72
on 9/27/10 7:00 am - Palmer, AK

Deb-

WOOT!!!  Glad you are on the healing & losing side of things!!!!

Keep us posted!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Deb S.
on 9/28/10 7:31 am - Winton, CA
THANK YOU !!!!

SwimmingShirley
on 9/27/10 9:57 am
Hi.  I am getting a revision on October 25Th and to fix a hiatal hernia.  I can't believe you had the same needs!! Can you help me with my fears of surgery again.....
Deb S.
on 9/28/10 7:33 am - Winton, CA
Fears of surgery are natrual. Any surgery will make you feel that fear, anxiety, worry all over again. But if you didn't feel it, then I would worry. Think at this point what do you really have to lose? You fall asleep....wake up, and you have the start of a whole new you.  
I am sure you will do fine . Glad to see you taking that step towards surgery! That is the hardest part. It will be worth it with the end result .

gbc1102
on 9/28/10 4:06 am - Durham, NC
Hi Deb and congratulations on your revision.  I'm in the processing stage for my revision.  I initially had RNY and i want to revised to RNY, however I've heard a lot of people say that you don't lose weight  with that revision.  I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin.  First, was your original surgery RNY?  Second, how's your appetite?  Third, did you have lap or open surgery?  I have an incisional hernia that my surgeon is going to repair once we get the approval for the surgery.  Thank you for helping to answer my questions.  Also, did you ever think about the DS revision?  Thank you so much - Gayzelle
Deb S.
on 9/28/10 7:26 am - Winton, CA
Honestly, no offense to this board, but this board is highly...highly pro ds and anti most everything else. It would be like telling someone interested in bariatric surgery for the first time ONLY gastric bypass will work...if you get the sleeve or lapband..good luck! To me, that just wasn't right. There are different surgery options out there for a reason and different surgeons performing each and every one or we wouldn't be here.

So with that said, YES you will lose weight on an RNY revision. I am due to lose a good 80+ pounds on mine. My Dr. has had many success stories and prefers to go this route vs the ds bc of the "bathroom" issues as he described it with the ds. As long as you are compliant, you will have success.  Internet forums tend to be biased one way or another. They are good for reading and taking things with a grain of salt....but do more research beyond this before making your choice. And if ds... or rny... or sleeve or whatever ends up being right for your body, your situation ect, Go for it! We all deserve a second chance at this game !  :-)

I had LAP RNY 2004 and dropped 150# from that and kept it off until I went through a pretty emotional sexual harassment lawsuit against a former boss and the main culpret of my gain back was eating and drinking at the same time again and grazing. So 40# went back on. Then I got pregnant and had a higher risk pregnancy of placenta previa so my exercise went out the window. After giving birth however, I did lose the baby weight. Just not that initial 40 that I put on. I tried and fought for a year and a half with the insurance company. I had proof my pouch and stoma were stretched, I had a scope showing the hiatal hernia. None of that was good enough insurance wise. So it was suggested under the table so to speak that I gain a bit of weight and get the right BMI and get it done. So long story short, I did. I had a LAP RNY REVISION this time around. Basically he said my pouch was four times bigger than what it should have been.

My doctor has an excellent program at his office set up with two nutritional classes on premises, fitness instructor there if you need a consult and all the bariatric products you can ever think of if you would like to purchase and try. So look for a surgeon that does more than cut you up and send you out the door. They required us to sit through a nutritional class which really kind of gets your mind back into RNY mode. You have to relearn and re think how to eat as an RNYer again if it has been a while.

Right now, I have no appetite but I am on the liquid phase. I go to mush here pretty soon. Explore your options though and be open minded to ALL possibilities out there. I have visited other forums that are more biased towards a different form of revision. I would talk to the surgeons in your area and see the success rates first hand. See what is best for your particular body. And go from there. But yes, you will lose weight for sure on the RNY revision. There shouldn't be any reason why you won't unless you have other things going on. I have read some cases to where revisions have loss more so than first timers. I think there are alot of different reasons why some people do, and some people don't. It isn't so black and white as alot make it out to be.

I wish you all the best!

JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 8:13 am - Layton, UT
On September 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Pacific Time, Deb S. wrote:
Honestly, no offense to this board, but this board is highly...highly pro ds and anti most everything else. It would be like telling someone interested in bariatric surgery for the first time ONLY gastric bypass will work...if you get the sleeve or lapband..good luck! To me, that just wasn't right. There are different surgery options out there for a reason and different surgeons performing each and every one or we wouldn't be here.

So with that said, YES you will lose weight on an RNY revision. I am due to lose a good 80+ pounds on mine. My Dr. has had many success stories and prefers to go this route vs the ds bc of the "bathroom" issues as he described it with the ds. As long as you are compliant, you will have success.  Internet forums tend to be biased one way or another. They are good for reading and taking things with a grain of salt....but do more research beyond this before making your choice. And if ds... or rny... or sleeve or whatever ends up being right for your body, your situation ect, Go for it! We all deserve a second chance at this game !  :-)

I had LAP RNY 2004 and dropped 150# from that and kept it off until I went through a pretty emotional sexual harassment lawsuit against a former boss and the main culpret of my gain back was eating and drinking at the same time again and grazing. So 40# went back on. Then I got pregnant and had a higher risk pregnancy of placenta previa so my exercise went out the window. After giving birth however, I did lose the baby weight. Just not that initial 40 that I put on. I tried and fought for a year and a half with the insurance company. I had proof my pouch and stoma were stretched, I had a scope showing the hiatal hernia. None of that was good enough insurance wise. So it was suggested under the table so to speak that I gain a bit of weight and get the right BMI and get it done. So long story short, I did. I had a LAP RNY REVISION this time around. Basically he said my pouch was four times bigger than what it should have been.

My doctor has an excellent program at his office set up with two nutritional classes on premises, fitness instructor there if you need a consult and all the bariatric products you can ever think of if you would like to purchase and try. So look for a surgeon that does more than cut you up and send you out the door. They required us to sit through a nutritional class which really kind of gets your mind back into RNY mode. You have to relearn and re think how to eat as an RNYer again if it has been a while.

Right now, I have no appetite but I am on the liquid phase. I go to mush here pretty soon. Explore your options though and be open minded to ALL possibilities out there. I have visited other forums that are more biased towards a different form of revision. I would talk to the surgeons in your area and see the success rates first hand. See what is best for your particular body. And go from there. But yes, you will lose weight for sure on the RNY revision. There shouldn't be any reason why you won't unless you have other things going on. I have read some cases to where revisions have loss more so than first timers. I think there are alot of different reasons why some people do, and some people don't. It isn't so black and white as alot make it out to be.

I wish you all the best!
Hey Deb,
I'm not sure I agree that this forum leans towards the DS.  "I" lean that way big time!!!  I try my hardest to be very vocal because like you, I revised to an Rny.  YOu're early out and have great hopes.  I sincerely hope your dreams come true!  Mine didn't..... and so I hang around the revision forum trying to answer questions that I wish someone would have helped me with...... and the thing I notice is that the majority who come here seeking revision advice are lapbands and Rny's.  I have only seen one DS'er on here in 8 years and she was the old old type of DS that isn't done any longer.  I think that's telling.

My guess is that your doctor does not even offer DS?  Rarely does a surgeon who knows the truth about DS and has been trained in it, ever point someone in the direction of something with less results.  When you  talk about "bathroom issues" in regard to the DS; that tells me that there hasn't been research done at all.  (please see www.dsfacts.com)  My WORST bathroom issues were with my revised Rny!!!

I agree that it isn't black and white but people should be able to hear all sides as you pointed out.  If people don't pay it forward with their own experiences (whether it's DS or something else) then how will the people make their revision choices?  If my posts or other's bother you then just skim, delete or block.

I wish you success!!!  I hope this is the last WLS you have to have!  I wasn't very smart and ignorred the DS info so it took me 3 tries! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sosoclark
on 9/28/10 8:27 am - Sacramento, CA
Wisdom at time comes with a price. Thanks for hanging around because I needed to read some of your post and I need help when I was down. I for one try and assist anyone who comes calling but since I haven't had my revision yet I just keep my mouth shut. Thanks for keeping your open .

Sophia
Deb S.
on 9/28/10 9:22 am - Winton, CA
I think posts like yours are great! People should paint thier succes stories. That is what it should be about. Just not dog out other's choices for chosing something they did not. I have seen some people on here, not you, actually put people down for not chosing ds. To me that is extreme.

But yes,post post post......and good luck!

Most Active