VBG to RNY? Lap or open?

daisylou1976
on 9/27/10 10:41 am - , Canada
HI, I just had a question...

I am going to be having a revision from a VBG which was open, done 12 years ago, to an RNY.  My refering surgeon requested that it be done open, but I was wondering if it can be done lap?

I have heard that there is a lot of scar tissue.  I have no problems with a big scar, cause I already have a nice wide one.  But I know that the healing time would be quicker and easier.

Thanks for sharing,

Sandi :)

sophielyn
on 9/27/10 3:52 pm
On September 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM Pacific Time, daisylou1976 wrote:
HI, I just had a question...

I am going to be having a revision from a VBG which was open, done 12 years ago, to an RNY.  My refering surgeon requested that it be done open, but I was wondering if it can be done lap?

I have heard that there is a lot of scar tissue.  I have no problems with a big scar, cause I already have a nice wide one.  But I know that the healing time would be quicker and easier.

Thanks for sharing,

Sandi :)
The way I understand is that the lap surgery takes twice as long; so they are being safer with your specific revision by doing open (i had SRVG just a variation with salistsic ring of VBG). Safer for surgeon because he has better access to you & the complexities of a revision.  I had a consult today and surgeon told me open will take less than an hour & half and if he does it lap you are looking at almost 3 hours.  Personally, I would rarther less anesthesia time and a bit more recovery...in the long run its not a huge difference.  And, this is OT but several years ago I was having an ovarian cyst removed via lap, it turned into something more and I ended up being cut anyway. 
JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 1:21 am - Layton, UT
Sandi,

Just my .02 but having a revision done open is like having multiple clean-up surgeries!!!!  A good surgeon can fix a multitude of things when they have you there for a good peek.  Laproscopic doesn't always give the best view and then if there's things wrong, they have to open you up anyway.  Open gives them a chance to carefully trim away scar tissue, fix hernias, ulcers, etc.

Honestly....I've had both and the healing time was pretty much equal if your surgeon does great stitching and ;your hospital team does great sterile aftercare:)

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sosoclark
on 9/28/10 3:20 am - Sacramento, CA
Joyce,

I'm glad you posted this information, I have been concerned about the open DS. It seems like the surgery will be pretty cut and dry. Dr K said I would be under for about 3 hours and he would be done, seem quite fast considering he has to put me back to together again. Anyway I have been waiting on this for a while and praying the paid isn't that bad.

Sophia
Bobbie D.
on 9/29/10 7:35 am
I just had my VBG revised to RNY and it was done open. My old ugly scar is now just a thin line. I had no staples or stitches outside.

Most Active