Just about ready to go!!!

sosoclark
on 9/25/10 1:43 am - Sacramento, CA
Ok, so I have finished all of the required testing so the documents can be submitted to insurance.... Now I am excited but scared all at the same time. I am excited about the new life I will be leading but scaIred of the pain of surgery. Well I'm not really scared just I  it more my nerves than than anything else. Its the unknown that has thinking about life after surgery and will this work? I will be compliant to Dr K's requirements but its the what ifs like... Welll farts. When I fart now I run little children to their homes, if it gets any worse I might knock down a house!!!! LOL.. Anyway I can deal with alot of things and to the best of my understanding through research if I stay away from carbs I should be able to keep them to a low measure.

Ok so on to more important questions, What did you take to the hospital for surgery? If you had your surgery out of town how was the drive home? Was your surgery open or lap? If open how was your pain and could you get around pretty well? How long did you have to wait to take a shower?

Ok I think that is it for now thanks for all of your help.

Sophia
wife2denizmoi
on 9/25/10 4:10 pm
Hi Sophia;

Let me first say that I am the biggest wuss going! In 2008 I had open abdominal surgery, not WLS, but open none-the-less. It was not as painful as I thought it might be. Other parts of me hurt. The gas after surgery does hurt a lot. Gas-x was the only thing that worked for me. Unfortunately, the hospital wouldn't give me any...so I had my husband bring it from home. Then I felt tons better. I walked out of the hospital after three nights there.  I took liquid tylenol pm to sleep and rest and felt generally crappy for about 2 weeks after the surgery. Getting up and walking around helps though.

In 2009, I had laproscopic lap band surgery. I was in recovery waiting for a room for about 3 hours. Once I got to the room, I got up, used the bathroom, dressed and told them it was time for me to go home.  They tried to convice me to stay, but I felt great and walked out with no problem. I never filled the pain med script and took liquid tylenol pm to sleep the first night and maybe the second night.

Usually after surgery, there isn't much pain other than the gas everyone talks about.  I'm still not sure why it is so hard to expell!  During surgery, the nerves are cut, so no nerves, no pain. It takes a long time before the feeling comes back, so I wouldn't worry about pain in all honesty.  Sometimes the tugging sensations at the incision sites are annoying, but not painful. With the band, the port site was painful for a bit after surgery because with the realize band, the port goes into muscle, so it just felt weird and a little sore.

As for what to take to the hospital. I took my own nightgown, my cell phone, clean socks and underwear for as many days as I would be there, lip balm, and magazines.  Beyond that, it was boring, TV was awful and they never leave you alone long enough to rest at the hospital! Someone is always checking something.

With the open surgery, I had to wait 5 days to take a shower. For the laproscopic, I showered the next day.  Hope that helps.

Heidi
sosoclark
on 9/26/10 2:30 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hiedi,

Thanks for the information, its been a whiles since I had surgery so I don't quite remember everything.

Sophia
Monique H.
on 9/26/10 2:58 pm
I don't even want to talk about the pain from my last open surgery. I've had over 30 surgeries in my life, most due to a car accident when i was 17. Anyway just make sure when you're leaving the hospital that you have a prescription that you can get filled before your trip back. That is a long drive. My last one was from Oakland here to Sac and I couldn't even sleep through it. Oh and the farts, we could do battle lol. It will change up too. Sometimes I'm okay with milk products and other times I feel like something exploded in my stomach. Oh my gosh and don't let me eat beans like I did last night. Okay enough about that I really just wanted to say hi and tell you to go to bed. You know you have to work in the morning. If I have my surgery first I'll let you know how it goes. Besides toiletries, phone, and loose clothing I'll be taking my laptop. I can't wait to be in my hospital room posting that I've crossed over to the other side .
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
sosoclark
on 9/27/10 3:48 am - Sacramento, CA
LOL!! You know I can't sleep right now I am too excited I should have been asleep!!!! Anyway I think I am going to do the same thing and take my laptop with me too. Keep me posted as to a surgery date for you too!!!

Sophia
JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 1:17 am - Layton, UT
Sooooooooooooooo?????  Miss Sophia?  what's that laptop telling you today?  Any good news?  LOL!

Thinking of YOU!!! 
sosoclark
on 9/28/10 3:13 am - Sacramento, CA
Nothing yet but I am praying soon I will be moving to the darkside!!!!! Hope you have a good 6 hour fight too!!
smileyjamie72
on 9/27/10 3:26 am - Palmer, AK
YAHOO!!!!!

Here's to hoping on a GREAT & eay recovery for you!!!!

I finished my expired evals & as soon as Dr. K's office gets the last report.... Insurance here I go again!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

sosoclark
on 9/27/10 3:49 am - Sacramento, CA
Go!!!!!! Jamie!!!! Sounds like things are on the right path!!!!!!!!! Keep me posted.

Sophia
JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 1:15 am - Layton, UT
On September 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM Pacific Time, smileyjamie72 wrote:
YAHOO!!!!!

Here's to hoping on a GREAT & eay recovery for you!!!!

I finished my expired evals & as soon as Dr. K's office gets the last report.... Insurance here I go again!!!
-Jamie
Gooooo Jamie!  It's your birthday!!!  

Most Active