dr greenbaum will not do my revision to ds

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/10 1:08 pm
Im so upset and shocked that this is happening to me after all the crap I have been tru this yr. got insurance approval called his office to get a surgery date and his staff preaty much turn me away after gettng approved by aetna. I sent an emal to dr greenbaum saying the following.

I'm writing to you today because I'm confused about what's going to happen with me. I had open RNY in 2002. Went down to 170lb to find myself back at 260lb today. I have been keeping in contact with your staff  since December of 2009, while in the process of doing all the pre-op visits and  requirements needed for insurance approval.   I was recently told that you are no longer doing my revision from  RNY to DS in the near future. Aetna approved my revision in the beginning of  August and 2 weeks after im being told its not going to happen. I need   to know why you have decided to put my revision aside when at no time was I  informed there could be a chance you  would recommend a distal RNY or have me  wait till next June of 2011. I am super confused and upset because I should be  considered an existing patient of yours since December of 2009.    I know that your office is overwhelmed with revisions because we are all in  obesityhelp.com. Patients are posting "he doesn't want to be known as a revision surgeon" others post revision patients are too complicated to operate on. I'm  asking you to please consider my case and make an exception if possible to have  my revision done in the near future since I have an insurance approval that will  expire in the beginning of 2011. Please reply.  here is the reply...   unfortunately, I definatelly cannot get to your revision sooner and  I think you should look to have someone else try to do itdr. g     heads up all you out there trying to get a revision done  on the east coast!!!  

stillhopefull
on 9/23/10 10:51 pm
I don't understand.  They turned an approval away just because it was from Aetna?  Are you sure?  Maybe you misunderstood.  Let us know what Dr. Greenbaum has to say please.  Are you a revision or virgin DS?  This could be the problem.
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/10 1:41 am - Bayonne, NJ
It's not because it's Aetna, it's because he's not doing full revisions anymore. :(  I think it's a combination of the number of revision patients and the fact that it is more difficult, but I don't know. He could be getting pressure from the hospital, since revision patients cost more.

My bill was over 120K, I was in-network BCBS and I think they paid about 12K total for the hospital and the doctor. That's nothing.

It's a shame, because he really is the best on the east coast for these revisions.
hoofer4life
on 9/24/10 10:35 am - columbus, OH
I initially contacted him to inquire about a RNY revision to DS and he promptly replied that he is not currently taking any new patients but to check back with him in January.

Could it be that he just isn't taking on any new patients at this time? He could be in such high demand that he is backlogged with patients and surgery dates through the end of the year...

Wish you the best of luck for your surgery!!!

Laurie 
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/10 3:29 pm
hey Laurie good luck in January, my inicial consultation with him was in dec of 09, I was an existing patient. and he's office is talking about I can try again w him in june of 2011. something is happening or happened that he does want to do them. I'm pissed, since I have been waiting so long just to get a rejection. So if its ment to be it will happen, Im trying not to stress too much about it.

good luck
sandy_mt
on 9/24/10 2:23 pm
 I had the same response you did when I called his office.  Dr. Greenbaum is the only revision surgeon in my network that Aetna will pay for.  I wrote him a lengthy email basically begging for him to do my surgery, but he did not respond, and it has been 3 weeks.  
wife2denizmoi
on 9/25/10 4:17 pm
Call around. There are several surgeons that will do surgery for the out of network portion of what your insurance pays, plus any deductable.  Good luck!
JRinAZ
on 9/26/10 2:40 am - Layton, UT
On September 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM Pacific Time, wife2denizmoi wrote:
Call around. There are several surgeons that will do surgery for the out of network portion of what your insurance pays, plus any deductable.  Good luck!
Brakes!!!!  "calling around" will just find you a warm body.  To REVISE from an Rny to a DS; one needs a surgeon who specializes in that and has a long track record of success!  There are only about 3 or 4 surgeon's in the U.S. that fit that bill.

RESEARCH and then make the right call!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

wife2denizmoi
on 9/26/10 9:50 am
Of course you aren't just going to call willy nilly. Commen sense says that. However, I would call every single one and ask. If you don't ask, you don't get. In turn I would also ask the 3 or 4 if they have worked with anyone in the past that they can recommend. Sometimes a rising star is just what you need. Best of luck!
sandy_mt
on 9/27/10 2:13 am
 I've researched quite a bit and there are literally a handful of surgeons who are willing, capable, confident, and experienced enough to do a RNY to DS revision.  Rabkin (my first choice), Keshishian, Greenbaum, Gagner (Canada), and Husted.  
Most Active