Last time here was 2002-back considering revision from lap band to bypass

Marni G.
on 9/23/10 4:46 am - River Edge, NJ
Hi Everyone,

I was on this site a loooong time ago when it was very different.  I had my wls (Lap Band) with Dr. Rod in Acuna mex in 2002.  Everything went well with the surgery and i've been healthy since. However the weight loss hasn't happened. I lost around 60 lbs post op in the following few months and after that it pretty much stopped, even with frequent fills, checkups, etc. 

I've even gone so far as to go on weigh****chers to lose excess weight, which worked a bit before i got married in July 2008 but that too stopped working. My body seems to have a super slow metabolism and the limited food intake doesnt help aparently.  I just can't lose weight. I've had all of my levels checked and am otherwise healthy. My fill dr. today told me that basically the band i had was a prototype and that the failure rate is much higher. She have me some options.. Eithe i can have a new band put in, do nothing, or have a revision to the Bypass.

All of these options scare me for different reasons.  To do nothing would be just what i've been doing, treading water and trying hard to lose the weight but getting nowhere.  If i got the new band there's a hope that it would help jump start things somehow but the risk of it failing and being back to square one like i am now is real. Then there are the risks associated with GB.  I'm just plain scared, especially as the risks of leaks and stuff go up a bit since i'd be a revision from lap band to rny and the scar tissue ups the % of leaks.  I honestly don't know what to do at this point.

I'm back here at OH looking for support, encouragement, and advice from those who are or have been in similar shoes.  Thanks for reading!
smileyjamie72
on 9/23/10 5:35 am - Palmer, AK

Marni,

I just wanted to let you know that there are more options out there, than just an RNY (GB).  I, had an RNY in 2002, and have been working for the last year and a half towards revising to the DS.

Research, research, RESEARCH!!!!!  The first thing, was to post... you should also post on the RNY & DS bords, they are much busier & hopefully, you can get links to published studies, and research.  And of course, feedback from the various surgeries.  My only opinion... is that look at *****plies..... HOW FAR OUT from surgery ARE THEY?  Because, I am 8 years out, and looking to revise, is all I am saying.

Good luck in whatever you do decide!!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Marni G.
on 9/23/10 6:23 am - River Edge, NJ
Thanks fo replying! If i may ask, why are you now seeking a revision to the DS?
Joyce G.
on 9/23/10 9:39 am - FL

Hi Marni,

I am pretty much in the same boat as you.  I had Lap Band surgery in 11/06 and have lost little to nothing.  I have had nothing but problems including a port revision in 08 and constantly getting food stuck and vomiting no matter what my fill level was. 

I just decided recently to try for a revision and initially thought of the RNY as well,  but after reading about the DS on the boards I started doing more research.  I'm glad I did and have started the process to revise to the DS.  I myself personally would never agree to have another band put in.  I want this thing out of me and am so sorry I didn't research more before choosing it.  I only hope I didn't waste my only chance for having wls approved with my ins. company. 

I am excited, scared and nervous but more scared about doing nothing at all.  I am also afraid of trying another surgery and failing as well, but from what I read from everyone that has had the DS, I feel I may have a second chance.   My biggest obstacle is getting insurance to approve a revision.

I agree, do your research, read the boards, and go to dsfacts.com.  

I wish you the best of luck in your journey. 

Joyce

Lap Band to DS Revision - I am hoping and praying
Prayers answered - Surgery in March!

Mrs.M
on 9/28/10 12:54 am
I had lapband in October 2006 and will revise to RNY this Thursday.  I had minimal weight loss, then gain and went to a new surgeon to see if anything would improve the lapband experience.  It was his opinion that the lapband was not appropriate for me and that RNY would be much more successful.   After all the research I am taking the plunge and couldn't be happier.
Lynn M.
on 10/1/10 9:34 am - Hartford, CT
I had lap band in 2008 and at the end of 2009 through April 2010 I was constantly vomiting.  I found out I had a slipped band and my doctor agreed to remove it and I am RNY as of August 18, 2008.  I must say that they changes I have experienced were from day one.  My recovery is much slower than it was with the band.  The first couple of weeks I felt like crap.  I am feeling better now, but I can not drink water the way I used to. 

I am constantly fighting to stay hydrated.  I need at least 70 oz of water a day. if I fall short I feel drained and sleepy all the time.  I can admit that my weight is down from 319 post op to 279 today, which is a considerable loss, somewhat slow for many others who have had RNY but I like it for 6 weeks considering I am losing inches which I can see as I fit into much smaller clothing than I have been able to wear since before my 17 year old daugther was born.  I also try to hit the gym 3 times a week for about 90 minutes and while that sounds like alot the time passes with great music and my water bottle.

Do investigate any and all options because I will admit this was no cake walk, but I feel very different then I did with the band.  the smell of fried food is a turn off to me right about now, and I always lived for fried foods before.  I am holding off on drinking until I am almost a year out and I make sure sugar free pudding and popsicles and jello are all kept in the house to tame my sweet tooth.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or just want to chat.

Lynn

my weight loss is both from the pre-band regimen, lap-band, and gastric bypass
HW/SW/CW/GW 
382/319/248.4/160
Most Active