Desperately seeking doctor for revision to RNY

MamaMary1974
on 9/23/10 10:15 am - Loveland, OH
I have been trying for a while to find someone to do a revision to my RNY to either redo the Rny , revise to Duadenal switch , or revise to VSG . I have BMI 54 and comorbid conditions. I have both Medicare and United Health care they said If i find one in Ohio Indiana or Kentucky they will pay for it I am getting desperate. Most dont do revisions in my area. Please help PLEASE!!!! My health is starting to depriciate from the dialated stoma and I know the risks with revision. I have 2 autistic sons who need their Mama back in good health. Please even if the doctor doesnt take my insurence i am willing to pay payments to them over next year for the surgery.
TY
Mary
MamaMary 1974    
justjenn2010
on 9/24/10 3:57 am - Kokomo, IN
mary, you might want to call dr frantzides.. he is out of chicago.. but is amazing..
Debbie M.
on 9/24/10 11:26 pm, edited 9/24/10 11:27 pm
I think you need to put on the brakes and think this through a little bit.

WIth a BMI of 54 I'm not sure why you'd want to revise to a surgery that you already had and didn't work.  You need to figure out what surgery you want and why, what can you live with, etc? 

If you want to revise to a DS there are 3 surgeons in the country that are good and they are Greenbaum, Rabkin in SF and Keshishian in Glendale, CA (near LA).  Dr. Rabkin and Dr. Keshishian are both EXCELLENT revision surgeons and take self pay patients.  If you're serious about this I suggest you call their offices to get information as part of your research.

Good luck, don't make a rash decision from desperation, do what's going to get and keep you healthy so you're around for years to come for your boys.

Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

MamaMary1974
on 9/26/10 9:08 am - Loveland, OH
I emailed The one near LA Dr Keshishian and he said he could help and he takes my insurence asked me to fill out some info on his sute and he will call in 2 business days to start the preliminaries  for revision to Ds I am at 54 bmi but was at 82bmi when i started so i still have a ways to go.

TY
Mary
MamaMary 1974    
Amyiable
on 10/3/10 10:33 am
I see you only list 3 surgeons.  Is there a place where you get this information?  This is just a sincere question.  I've read a similar comment from others, so that info must be somewhere. 

I wonder why other surgeons are excluded, or Dr. Elariny, for example.  He's been doing revisions, and revisions to DS for a decade.  His patients seem to think he is an excellent surgeon, & I am considering him.  I wondered if he is unknown because he works out of insurance networks.

Amyiable 
Amyiable ----  Revised again on 12/9/10 
My 16 oz pouch was VSG'd & stoma narrowed to1.2 cm diameter.  Slight changes to limb lengths, to align with DS  (Total sm bowel = 700 cm, alimentary limb = 275 cm, and common channel set at 75cm)  

Highest 325/Weight at revision 241/Current ???/Goal 150

JRinAZ
on 10/4/10 5:09 am - Layton, UT
On October 3, 2010 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, Amyiable wrote:
I see you only list 3 surgeons.  Is there a place where you get this information?  This is just a sincere question.  I've read a similar comment from others, so that info must be somewhere. 

I wonder why other surgeons are excluded, or Dr. Elariny, for example.  He's been doing revisions, and revisions to DS for a decade.  His patients seem to think he is an excellent surgeon, & I am considering him.  I wondered if he is unknown because he works out of insurance networks.

Amyiable 
Hi Amyiable,
I think the top 3 revision to DS surgeon's are listed on the website www.dsfacts.com ?  I know from my personal experience in hunting for one who takes "high risk" cases, I was directed over and over again from vetted DS peeps to head to the top 3-4:  Dr. Keshishian, Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Gagner,  Dr. Greenbaum. (and since Dr. Greenbaum is overloaded and backed out then he's pretty much off the list for now)

I know there are others who do revisions; I'm just not sure they have the #'s, stats and experience to take on the high risk folks.  And...my understanding is that anyone *****vises from an Rny to a DS pretty much falls in that category.

I have heard good things about your doc.  Maybe others should ask over on the DS forum if they're wondering who to go to.  I was steered clear of some and am sooo grateful that a few guided me to Dr. Keshishian.  I had been turned down (for what I wanted to have done) by 7 other Bariatric surgeons as well as denied by insurance!  I KNEW what I wanted for MY body and  as soon as I found a surgeon who gave me the same answers then I knew I was in the right place:)  We took on the insurance company and all is well!!!!

Good luck with your journey!  Let us know how everything goes, K?!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

cateyes80
on 9/25/10 10:40 pm
Hello Mary, I live in the Washington DC area. On 9/23/10 I just had my 2nd revision done by Dr. Terrance Fullum. I had my first RNY in 12/98 then had to have a revision 4/99 due to a stoma blockage. Over the past 11 yrs my life with WLS has been a war. I was blessed to find Dr. fullum because no other dr. Would take me. They did not want to have to clean up another drs. mess, and that's what Dr. fullum had to do. I was in surgery for 5hrs. I was told after the surgery that I never had a RNY in the first place. My pouch was left at 15cm. From the first surgery, it is now at 5cm, so this time I should be able to loose some weight. Good luck to you!!! Don't give up!!!
jeanyjane
on 9/27/10 3:32 am - Germany
Dr. Fullum is not known as one of the top Ds revision surgeons - I guess he is not doing the DS at all or at least not very often. What Mary needs is a revision to a full DS, with her weight history, anything less (and a repair of a RNY or making it more distal is less) will probably bring only problems (too much malabsorbation) and not enough weight loss.

Dr. Kesheshian has an excellent reputation and is one of the best you can get, so if he is willingly to help you and even takes your insurence, that`s fantastic!!!!!
rbb825
on 10/1/10 2:59 pm - Suffern, NY
If you are willing to travel to NY and want to have your RNY repaired, my surgeon is excellent. His name is Dr Marc Bessler at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital the phone number is 212-305-4000.  He does revisions.

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/10 12:06 pm
hello, ur doc does revisions from rny to ds?
Most Active