Considering a revision in PA-advice needed

keal19
on 9/21/10 6:48 am - Clarion, PA
Revision on 08/12/13
Hello all, I am seeking your advices as I  begin the research process for a revision to my RNY.

I had RNY in Pittsburgh with Dr. Hamad in February 2002.  The procedure went well and I lost weight consistently for just about 18 months.  Then slowly, the weight began to inch back up.  I was active, doing an hour of aerobics 3-5 times a week, monitoring my diet and it still crept up.  There would be weeks where overnight I would gain 10 pounds and I just could not shake it off.  About a year ago, I stopped aerobics after 2 stress fractures in less than a year.  Since then, I admit, my exercise has been horribly lacking.  

I had gotten to a weight loss of 180 pounds and have gained back over 100 pounds of it.  I would be lying if I said I was 'perfect' on my eating, however, I do not have eating habits consistent with that weight gain.  I have been working on thyroid issues since 2004/2005 and have been referred to a nutritionist from my primary care doctor.  The nutritionist actually believes that I am not eating enough and has given me some ideas about portions/calorie intake.  I rarely eat out, do very little processed foods, on occasion I drink something while eating, am not a sweet/junk eater.  I try to minimize my carbs or select complex carbs,but do have not eliminated them altogether.  I try to get in my proteins first and then everything else.    

I have a PPO with Highmark Blue Shield and am wondering about options in Western PA or others recommendations.  I have not been back to see my surgeon, as I've been trying to tackle it on my own and really feel like I've been a complete failure at this point.  Not sure where to turn next.  I'm at a loss, well with everything except my weight that is! 

I've recently gotten engaged and am ready to move my life forward but hate how unhealthy I am and long to be back where I was in 2003/2004. 

your help would be most welcome!
JRinAZ
on 9/21/10 8:26 am - Layton, UT
You are in the very good but frustrated company of hundreds and hundreds of Rny's who find themselves with regain and the craziness of wondering what to do next.

You have options but revising to another Rny probably shouldn't be one of your choices.  If it didn't work once then assuming it will a 2nd round is just......well, I can say stupid cuz that's what I did and I KNOW I was stupid!!!

Consider a DS.  It'll give you the best results with the longest effectiveness.

Research, research, research......I'd recommend reading www.dsfacts.com

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 9/21/10 8:58 am - Mexico
What kind of revision are you looking for? DS would likely be your best bet.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
KyleBeth
on 11/7/10 12:29 am - Erie, PA
Hello!

I see Dr. Gagne in Pittsburgh. They are the #1 bariatric program in PA 4 years in a row by Health Grades.

I was denied for my revision in August with BCBS PPO Blue... We resubmitted on Friday and I should know by Tuesday.

Dr. Gagne is a straight shooter... if he thinks he can help you, he will. I really like it there. I live in Erie and travel 2+ hours to go see him... So if your in Clarion, it's not that bad of a drive.

If my insurance covered the DS I would totally do that... but it doesn't and I can't afford to self pay right now.

http://www.bariatricsurgerypittsburgh.com/

Good Luck! 
Lilypie - (b6LK)      Lilypie - (evIs)
Most Active