Best Revision Surgeon ?

sophielyn
on 9/19/10 3:05 pm
If you have had a revision please tell me your surgeon? your results?

i want a revision from SRVG (1998) to either the DS or RNY
reason:  regained all weight plus some
Monique H.
on 9/19/10 3:20 pm
Hi Sophielyn,

I'm going to have mine with Dr. Keshishian. Whenever anyone asks the response is him or Dr Rabkin for the DS that is. There are others that are mentioned, but I'm in CA so that is who I know of.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
sophielyn
on 9/19/10 4:06 pm
thanks for reply.. do you know how they handle cordinating for patients who are out of state ?  also, if my insurance covers,do they still require a large sum deposit ?
JRinAZ
on 9/20/10 5:18 am - Layton, UT
On September 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM Pacific Time, sophielyn wrote:
thanks for reply.. do you know how they handle cordinating for patients who are out of state ?  also, if my insurance covers,do they still require a large sum deposit ?
Dr. K patient's are required to pay a fee regardless of their insurance.  I was out of state and my insurance covered everything (but the fee).  They are very accomodating for out of state patient's and try to help you get your required tests done in your home state.  They have you do your pre-op appointment the day before your surgery so you can consolidate visits.  The hospital is beautiful and your private room has one extra bed where your support person can actually stay during your hospital time.  I think the average hospital stay is 5 days and perhaps another 3 to 10 days in the area; depending on your health, and your distance needed to travel.  I drove to L.A. by myself on a Monday, had my surgery Weds, was discharged from the hospital on Monday morning and had my post-op check in his office on Weds morning and was driving home (hubby flew over to be with me and drive me home).  I was home by Thursday evening so 10 nights total away!  .....   Dr. K usually removes your drains on your 1 week post-op visit and then you'll be sent home with the feeding tubes still in.  He will help coach your local surgeon or pcp with the feeding tube removal.  I removed my own (not recommended!  LOL!).

It's VERY common for people to have to travel for a Revision since very few of us have one of the experts living in our home towns.  Your body is worth it!  Go to one of the best!

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

smileyjamie72
on 9/20/10 9:36 am - Palmer, AK

Joyce has given very good & valuable information!!

I have not had my RNY to DS revision, yet, but I am getting closer & closer to the 2nd submittal into the insurance company!!!

Good luck & Keep us all posted!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

stillhopefull
on 9/19/10 11:15 pm
Where do you live?  You have Rabkin, Keshishian in California, Dr. Greenbaum who is not doing full revision any longer, Stewart in Texas, Huston in Arizona, etc. for DS revision.   If you are considering revising to DS go to the DS board and ask.  If RNY go to their board and ask.  Both boards will give you good information.  Best of luck on your journey.
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
sophielyn
on 9/20/10 12:54 am
I llive in Mississippi and am willing to travel (as I have no choice lol)  I have been on their boards and have been advised to come back to this board because I want revision surgery lol
stillhopefull
on 9/20/10 1:02 am
Sorry you are getting the shuffle.  There is Dr. Houston in Tennessee who also does revisions.  If you decide on DS I would really go back to their board and post you live in Mississippi and want to know the best revision surgeon closest to your area and you know you will have to travel.  You definitely will get Rabkin, Keshishian, and Greenbaum.  There is also Dr. Gagner in Canada.  If you are self pay let them know also and they can tell you different prices as well.

If you go to the search bar at the top of the page and type in revision surgeons you can spend hours researching.  Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help you in any way.  I started by lurking on the DS board and I can not believe the valuable information you can get from it.  It takes a LOT of time though.
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Barb R.
on 9/20/10 4:01 am - Troy, MO
Check this out. Info is a couple of years old but it should give you some ideas.
http://findyourweigh.webs.com/revisions.htm

Barb
                           Nightowl is My Angel
   BARB
         My Surgeon is Dr. Bernita Bernsten        BMI 47.1
 PRAYING FOR EASY RECOVERY FROM VBG REVISION TO DS

JRinAZ
on 9/20/10 5:09 am - Layton, UT
On September 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM Pacific Time, sophielyn wrote:
If you have had a revision please tell me your surgeon? your results?

i want a revision from SRVG (1998) to either the DS or RNY
reason:  regained all weight plus some
Hiya Sophielyn,
I had Dr. Keshishian with a revision for ERny to DS in May.  I LOVE Dr. K and have had great results.  My issues were unique and weight wasn't my main problem so I needed to go with a proven "expert"!

Though there are quite a few surgeons who do a DS as a 1st surgery there are very few who have the experience and expertise to do REVISIONS:

Dr. Keshishian is in CA
[email protected]

Dr. Rabkin is in CA
[email protected]

Dr. Greenbaum is in NJ
[email protected]

Dr. Gagner is in Montreal Canada
[email protected]

Be sure and check in with the DS forum with your questions.  You can get amazing information on www.dsfacts.com regarding the DS vs other options.

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active