Band removed now RnY, what should I expect?

mari_juma
on 9/16/10 4:30 pm - United Arab Emirates
Hi there,

I was banded in 2003, band removed March 2010 due to dilated esophagus. Now looking at having the RnY. I've been on the RnY board and just realized I should be here. What should I look forward to feeling and thinking? Is it gonna work this time around? I hear about failures with the RnY and am worried that this will be me. I realize that I am going to have to make changes in my life but am still worried about the long term.

Anybody out there?
TamaraL
on 9/16/10 11:48 pm
There are about 5-10 lap banders to RNY'ers on the RNY forum. I have been asking for help from them.

It will be like a whole new surgery for you. 

Do you have a date yet??

I would post on the RNY forum. Just post Lap band to RNY and your question

Tamara

charleston-mom
on 9/17/10 1:12 am
I was revised from a slipped and eroded band in August of 2007 (almost 3 years ago). I lost 100% of my excess weight with the RNY, and pretty quickly. To me, there was night and day difference between the surgeries. The RNY is completely different. I think the band should be outlawed.
Wendy A.
on 9/18/10 4:48 am - Evans, GA
Hi there. I just had my band removed on Monday. During the surgery, I was switched to RNY. I had a slip, esophagitis, GERD, night-time aspiration...you name it. Because I was having so many difficulties, my surgeon was able to get me approved very quickly. I am doing okay. I'm just trying to feel my way around what my body can and cannot handle. I am only on full liquids right now and will be until next Friday. I do not regret my decision. In fact, I felt like getting it approved and done so quickly was a blessing. I plan to keep reading and posting, so I will look forward to hearing about your journey.
terilynn112
on 9/19/10 10:20 pm - maryland, NY
I'm another band to bypass in the process. I've had my band for two years 4 days. IMO it has been a bumpy road, but at least I wasn't continuing to gain weight. I haven't lost much, most of my weight is preop. I've gained some recently, because my band is nearly empty. But it's not as much as i would have.

Anyway, always nice to meet someone else going thru it.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

mari_juma
on 9/20/10 3:24 am - United Arab Emirates
Thank you all for your time and comments! I have a date, October 18th. Kind of nervous about the whole thing. You know how the closer you get the more you think about it, well it's happening. I bought the book Weight loss for dummies and am learning some more things about RnY. It did awaken some concerns, but they were put at ease. Still hoping that I'm making the right decision, only time will tell.

Good job to those of you who have lost and then some and good luck with the rest of you waiting your turn!

Let's keep in touch.
Mary B.
on 9/21/10 6:28 am - Southern, MD
I had my band taken out and revised to RNY 4 weeks ago. I feel so much better having my band out. I had a slight slip, but I couldnt get my fills right, I was always too tight or too loose. I was vomiting all the time and choking on food.

My recovery was a little tougher, but now Im feeling good.

Ive lost 25 lbs so far. The most I ever lost with the band was 28-30 total but I gained all that back plus more when I demanded an unfill from vomiting every day. The gain was totally my fault though. I was eating things I had no business eating just because I hadnt been able to eat them for over a year.

Good luck to you. Your date will come up quickly!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active