Rny/RNY revision

lmom
on 9/15/10 1:12 pm
Hello!

I am set to have my RNY /RNY revision next Monday. I Also have Fistula and hernia ( both found during scope)

I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm starting to wonder if Ishould even do this... Please tell me about your experiences with this. If you had it done, do you regret it? Is it true that the mortality rate with revisions is as high as 10%?

I'm scared! :(
P. Smith
on 9/16/10 12:35 am, edited 9/16/10 12:35 am - Duncanville, AL
I had my RNY revision to RNY on August 24th. I have lost almost thirty lbs. in just over three weeks. I had no complications at all. It was as easy as the first one I had in Feb. 2004. I am so glad I had it done. My surgeon told me the mortality rate was exactly the same as it was for the first one. The only thing he had to deal with was some old scar tissue, but again, I had no problem. Go for it! You won't regret it!
 Thanks! 

Paul Smith

tscott826
on 9/16/10 12:51 am - Spring, TX
Thank you for your post Paul.  I am looking to have my RNY redone as well due to bad habits that have caused me to stretch my pouch.  I am looking for another chance at this, but am very very scared.  It is good to hear that you have had a great experience thus far.  If I may ask, why did you have a revision?

Tiffany
kardell
on 9/16/10 1:33 am
Hi Tiffany.
I had Lap  RNY  done almost 10 years ago.
I also have a fistula and ulcer. No hernia though.Planning a revision for sometime in October.I am very nervous and scared too. Up about 39 lbs from my lowest weight yrs ago.
Is this true about the 10%? Did your surgeon tell u this?
If I do not do..I am at risk of gaining the weight slowly all back and more ulcers.
I have no restriction when it comes to eating. it feels as if I never had the surgery.
Help!!
thanks a bunch
Karen
tscott826
on 9/16/10 7:44 am - Spring, TX
My surgeon has not said anything about the 10%, not sure what that is.  With the Gastric Bypass, you will lose weight really good at first, but if you are not careful, and continue to overeat, you will stretch your pouch and start to gain weight.  There is sooo much more information out there now about how to maintain after weightloss surgery.   My original doctor told me that I did not need to do anything ---anything different!  Just eat small amounts.  That is not the case.  I was told I may gain a little, but I would never gain it all back....I would stablize at a certain weight....not the case.  While I am on this 3 month diet plan that the insurance requires, I am trying to get use to not drinking and eating at the same time, eating slower, and eating at home.  I am trying to prepare for the revision.

Tiffany
nickyboop
on 9/16/10 7:21 am - Noblesville, IN
Hello Tiffany I was wondering when you had your RNY done the first time? I have to have a revision due to my stretched pouch. I had my RNY in April of this year. I am scared too death.
Nickyboop
tscott826
on 9/16/10 7:38 am - Spring, TX
Hey Nickey-
I had my RNY in 2002 the first time.   I am slowly gaining my weight back.  I refuse to be 300lbs again.  I am 230 now.   I am so scared to get the revision, but I need help.   What doctor are you looking at?

Tiffany
Sherri H.
on 9/20/10 10:53 am - Ponchatoula, LA
Tiffany & all,

I had open RNY 1/15/02.  I could've been the "poster child" for WLS.  I lost from 321 lbs to 147 - 155, which I maintained for about 5 years with zero complications. Over the last three years, the pounds have crept back on - 48 lbs so far.  I'm like you, I refuse to be 300 + again, so I went to see a surgeon a couple of weeks ago.  He did an EGD last week and said my pouch is still small, but the stoma is stretched.  Unfortunately, with the pouch being small, he cannot maneuver the instruments for the ROSE procedure.  So, I went to see him today again and we are discussing revision vs. lapband.  I think he would much prefer to do the lapband because it's less surgery, but I want results if I do anything.  I guess because I had such great results the first time, I'd like to think I could have that again, but I am more apprehensive now than I was before.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had the lapband after RNY or the RNY revision to compare experiences.

Thanks!
Sherri
Vicki S.
on 9/20/10 2:21 pm - sacramento, CA
@Paul...did your insurance pay for your revision? So you had RNY in 2004 and had a revision doing RNY again? How are you feeling? I have Kaiser insurance...RNY in 2006...didnt lose as much as i feel i should have (most lost was 70lbs...i've gained back 25)

Thanks, Vicki
[email protected]
Vicki    
megan1012
on 9/18/10 8:04 am - alexandria, VA
I had an open rny in 1998 just went on 9/15 and had a revision lapro. I didnt have any fistuka or hernias though. My dr told me the mortality rate was the same as the original surgery but it will just take longer because of scar tissue which he was correct. My surgery was 3 hrs long but i did just fine. Im not having any problems yet but again im only 3 days post-op.  Good luck.Where are you having surgery at?

Most Active