2 weeks out today and doing just fine

Bobbie D.
on 9/15/10 7:20 am
I had my 10 year old VBG revised to RNY on 9/1. I have a smaller pouch than a normal RNY because my previous pouch had to be revised to perform this surgery. I was told that it would be more complicated for my surgeon but in the end he said it went better than he expected.

I have not had any trouble with keeping anything down and only feel gassy from milk. I do have a G-tube so if I can't get enough liquid it could go there. I haven't been using it for that but I have been using it to take my crushed pills.

I have been more emotional than usual but fortunately I have an understanding family.

My old ugly scar is gone and now I have just a thin straight line that I can imagine sometime down the road will be barely visible. My old one was wide and each staple mark was there. It will be nice to not have that anymore.

So far so good!!!!

kmbear
on 9/15/10 3:42 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID
It is great to hear you are doing well. I hope to have a revision date soon. Well wishes to you. Karen

Bobbie D.
on 9/15/10 9:47 pm
Thanks, Karen. Good luck in getting your date!!

Bridgett Gallow
on 9/17/10 8:58 am
I had VBG revision 07/01, I am loving being able to eat meat and not throw up. good luck it gets better my RNY rocks although I had mine laproscopic. My scar is the same way as yours was but I did okay. Good luck to you.

Bobbie D.
on 9/17/10 10:01 am
Thanks, Bridgett. I'm going one day at a time. I wish you the best of luck as well.

daisylou1976
on 9/20/10 3:09 pm - , Canada
Hello Ladies, I am happy to see recent revisions from VBG to RNY.  I too had a VBG 12 years ago and think i'm about to get a revision in a couple of months  "fingers crossed"

Did you guys have problems/complications with your VBGs or just not lose the weight you hoped?  I tend to get stuck on so much.  I cannot eat meat and heavier things.

Can you share with me any tips or works of wisdom about having a revison? 

Thanks Girls :)

oh ya, and congrats on your weight loss!!!

dawn1234
on 9/21/10 12:41 pm
HI...I had a VBG in 1997 lost 80 lbs, got pregnant within 4 months of surgery (oopps, because I was told I was infertile). I had problems from surgery on, especially with keeping food down. I would vomit almost every meal and finally started eating those "slider type foods". I ended up regaining all my weight and had a revision in 2005 to a RNY. Since that revision I have had several operations due to complications. My initial complication was a subphrenic abcess due to a spleenic nick. I then had a anastomosis leak that lead to peritonitis and a collapsed left lung. This year I ended up having a extremely rare complication, a antegrade intussception and had another 45 cm. of my small bowel removed.
Please research your choices of surgeries and also surgeons! Don't be afraid to ask tons of questions.And as I always say prepare for the worst but hope for the best!
daisylou1976
on 9/23/10 1:38 pm - , Canada

HI Dawn, thanks for sharing.  I choose the slider foods too, I find that I feel like I get stuck on oatmeal.  I have developed a hitial hernia from throwing up for the last 12 years. 

I am really sorry that you had all those complications with your surgery.  I have a mindset that I am aware that those complications can happen, but I just say that it won't happen to me.    It sounds really crappy to say that I would be willing to suffer complications just to be thin, but when you have be so obese and miserable your whole life......

I am in Canada and we have only 3 surgeons that do bariatric surgery, the weight for them is about 5 years or so.

I am in the process of having it done in the States, but the doctor is chosen for you by the hospital because our health care system is paying for it, we don't get a say in who does it, I guess one can always say they don't want that doctor, but I doubt that they would bend over backwards to accommodate you. 

I hope you're feeling ok now, and that you don't suffer anymore complications.  Take care.

S :)

Most Active