what will you do differently after revision

TamaraL
on 9/12/10 8:56 am
So I was reading on a website from a surgeon in Atlanta.  He said that Overall only 50% of revisions and conversions will lose a significant amount of weight (50% excess weight loss) due to continued behavioral and eating disorders which defeat the surgery.

So if you are thinking about a revision what will you change this time

Debbie M.
on 9/12/10 9:04 am
You can out eat any surgery out there.  You have to change your lifestyle and get a surgery that works well with the way  you live.  I've learned that the hard way.
I'm not a huge exerciser although I'm active.  I stay away from alcohol, sugar and carbs and have done well so far.  I've lost quite a bit of weight in 7 months.  I have 90lbs to go and pray I get there.
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

terilynn112
on 9/12/10 9:35 pm - maryland, NY
I'm learning to put me first, and that was one of the errors I had made. Another, is I don't care how hungry I am, I'm not eating more than the suggested amount... in my case 3 to 4 ozs per meal for the first 6 months to a year.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

thebestme2010
on 9/13/10 3:28 am, edited 9/13/10 3:54 am
I can't agree more with the surgeon and with Debbie M.  This time I am not looking for the surgery to be a panacea for my overeating.  I admit that I have an addiction to food.  With that admission I began weekly therapy sessions to deal with the underlying cause(s).  Also, I have already included a WLS support group into my tool box.

When I was banded in 2007, the notion of needing more than the band was never real to me.  I have finally realized that no device, surgery, therapy or support will be the magic bullet.

My success is totally up to me.  While I look forward to a better healthier life, the reality that it is totally up to me takes time to really sink in.  This achievement is for a lifetime.  It's not another diet. This is forever, and that's a long time.

Keep me in your prayers.  My surgery is Sept 14 at 10:00.

Daddy, this journey is for you.  I love you and I miss you.       

HW 240 / SW 221.7/   CW 143

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way" Booker T. Washington
WASaBubbleButt
on 9/13/10 6:15 am - Mexico
I think I really had made the changes to my lifestyle before my revision but i revised at goal. I have little problem maintaining but there are days it is still a challenge and I think it always will be a challenge to some degree.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Ladytazz
on 9/13/10 8:37 am, edited 9/13/10 8:37 am
My surgeon warned me that I may not lose weight after my revision. I am sure it was because I failed so miserably at the first one. I know I did nothing to address my food issues before. I continued overeating and eating bad things. I thought I had a magic surgery that would allow me to eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight. It worked for the first 2 years and then I started regaining, plus other bad side effects from not changing my habits. I do think it will help that my stomach is smaller because I am a quanity eater. I am able now to eat smaller amounts and be satisfied. All I can do is take it one day at a time and know my limitations. I can't predict the future so I will do the best I can do today.
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/10 10:41 am - Bayonne, NJ
I'm probably in the minority here, but for me, the thing I'm doing differently since my revision is eating!

I'm wroking on self-esteem issues in therapy, and issues as to why I allowed my body image to get so bad. I think that plays into it, and going to therapy will keep me on the right path.
Most Active