question about preop band to RNY

TamaraL
on 9/7/10 10:21 am

When you went from band to RNY did you have to do liquid pre op. I don't know how I could hand liquids for 7-10 days!!  I am trying to cut my calories right now but I am starving

Tamara

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/10 11:18 am - NJ
Nope - not when I originally had the band, before I had it out, or before RNY (my revision was two separate surgeries) did I do a liquid diet!

Hang in there and remember it will be worth it in the end!  Are you having one surgery?

I was on liquids for a bit after the RNY, although since I can't recall the specifics, I guess it wasn't that bad otherwise I would have remembered EXACTLY how long

Good luck with your revision!  RNY is totally different....
TamaraL
on 9/7/10 12:07 pm

the goal for me is to have one surgery as long as when he gets in there, there is nothing wrong. Strangely for the last 2 months I have been having spasms around band. They have no idea what is going on.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/10 12:32 pm - NJ
That sounds very painful!  I don't know why the band does such horrible things to some people - like us!  I had awful reflux that was intensified with each fill, and it didn't even go away after the band was empty.  It was like there was a wildfire in my stomach all the time, not to mention the puking - so glad that thing is gone!!

I hope you can do it in one shot!!  Keep me posted, and feel free to ask any questions you may have!
BungeeGirl
on 9/9/10 2:00 am - Cary, NC
Hey Tamara,

I just wanted to say 1) I'm sorry you have to get your band out and 2) congratulations on your surgery date!

You did much better with wt loss with the band than I did.  I only lost 30 lbs the whole band experience.  I've lost 40 lbs in 3 months with the sleeve so far.  :)

I just remember you from the nc board and wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.  I didn't recognize you initially - you've lost a lot!

Wishing you well.
Vickie PRE-OPS: Take  probioitcs before and after surgery-prevent C-Diff!

TamaraL
on 9/9/10 10:32 am
Thank you.  I still have a lot to lose and am so excited about the revision.  I am so glad you are doing good. I knew you were having the revision but did not know whether you had had surgery yet.

CONGRATULATIONS on the lost so far

Lori D.
on 9/12/10 8:13 am, edited 9/12/10 8:42 am - Carrollton, TX
I have a question for all that have posted so far on this topic. I had VBG (dec 1999) and I am currently schedule for RNY 10/18. While I am so excited that I have a second chance at getting to my goal,I am hesitant to tell anyone outside but my husband. I feel like a failure after not reaching my goal with VBG. Did any of you experience the same?

TamaraL
on 9/12/10 8:47 am
Lori

I have felt the same way.  Only those close to me will know about my surgery.  I had to see a psychologist a couple of weeks ago. We talked about why the band had not worked and she asked me if there was anything I wanted to work on and we decided to work on the grazing issue.

I did feel like I had failed the band until she said the band had failed me.  I had to really search deep with this topic and figure out if there was anything I could have done differently. I think you have to journal or whatever and figure out why the VBG did not work. If it was mechanical failure there is not a lot you can do about that. IF if is something else then you have to figure out what it is and take that with you on your new journey because this is a new journey.

with that being said My father, brother know about surgery.  My boss's at both my jobs. A couple of close friends. 

Most Active