Anyone here had to have an open roux en y??

bak54
on 9/7/10 10:25 pm
I need to have an open due to old band (21 yrs old) needs to be removed due to
erosion and problems. How long was anyone's recovery from an open? My old
surgery was an open and i was sick for months!!!! Give me some good news
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/10 1:49 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had open RNY in 2003, recovered very well. I was out of the hospital in 2 days, and up and about right away. I was back to work in 2 weeks.

I had a revision to an open DS in December. I was in the hospital 5 days, and flew to Texas to visit friends at 4 weeks. There was more involved with the revision, but it was ok.

I think that open RNY shouldn't be too bad. They'll probably have to deal with any adhesions or scarring from the band. I didn't think the bands were that old, 21 years? That's a long time!
bak54
on 9/8/10 3:01 am
It was done at univeristy of penna it was gastric vertical banding it think it was marlex mesh they used then not very successful and now has to be removed has eroded into the lumen of my stomach with erosion and causing dudoneal problems.
KimmieMitchell33
on 9/8/10 12:04 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
 I had an open RNY in Nov of 2003.  I did the things they told me like get up and walk,  but take it easy, get your water and protein in, and I was fine.  I did get dehydrated about 2 weeks out and it set me back a month, but I was not taking it easy then, my job at the time told me to come back for 4 hrs a day the Saturday after I was released from the hospital on the previous Sunday,  if I wanted to keep it, and the week that I went back to the doctor for the dehydration, the job said I had to return to work full time.  The Dr. said I could make some money for a short amount of time and DIE, or I could truly take it easy for another month, and then live to find another job.  I chose to take care of myself, and somehow God provided!  :)  But I had no one but myself to blame because I was the stubborn one who went back to work a week after surgery.  If I had taken it easy like I was supposed to, I wouldn't have had to rest the extra month.  But everything bounced right back!  No other complications.
Most Active