Band to RNY

CarolinaGirl270
on 9/4/10 3:52 am

Hey everyone, I had a lap-band placed 4 years ago this month and have only had pain and reflux since I was banded. I lost 25 pounds since being banded. I have had and upper GI and esophageal manometry (horrible experience) and it looks like my band slipped a little. Anyway, my insurance won't pay to take out the band or revise to any other wls so I am going to Dr. Aceves in June 2011 for a revision. I live in SC and the only thing I worry about are DVT's/PE from the long flight after surgery. I'm really looking forward to having this band out. I would appreciate any advice for anyone who has  experience with Dr. A or revision in general.  And thanks in advance for anyone offering advice on their surgery type but I've been on OH since 2003 and I am settled on RNY.

Lap-band placed August 2006, Lap-band removed September 2010.
Revision to RNY gastric bypass.
--Stephanie --   

terilynn112
on 9/4/10 11:38 pm - maryland, NY
I'm on the same journey as you. I'll be having mine locally because my insurance does cover it. But I'll be coming home to my 3 kids and a neice to help out.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

TamaraL
on 9/5/10 1:17 am
Teri

I am from familiar with your band story from the boards.  Where are you in the revision process. Do you have a date yet??

Tamara

terilynn112
on 9/5/10 10:02 pm - maryland, NY
No date yet... hoping for early november, but not likely. IF they end up putting me in for December, i'll go for january. But I will be done by my birthday my surgeon assures me. (Feb). I've met with the surgeon, met with the psych(passed) and dietary (passed). Next up is the PA, and the decision as to if I need an EGD. There is question, since I had one in June 09 and they said I wouldn't need another until June 11. Time will tell.

can i add you as friends?

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

m1806
on 9/5/10 12:08 am - Marshville, NC
Hey Carolina Girl, I'd love to add you as a friend b/c I am in a similar situation, but can't locate your profile; it says either it's been deleted or is private. If you are still on here, please add me... Thanks! ~Meg, from NC~
CarolinaGirl270
on 9/5/10 1:51 am
I have my profile set to private. I'll add you.  Thanks for the reply's everyone. I don't really come here anymore since I'm so over this band. I was posting a while back when I was looking into the VSG but I figure that if the band didn't work I may have trouble with the sleeve. I love sugar and I realize I may not dump with the RNY but I need the extra help from the malabsorbtion.  I also have three little girls but they won't be much of a help since they are 3,5 and 11. I have already contacted Dr. Aceves' office and let Nina know I will be coming to them during the summer. I have to wait to get my tax refund and I will finance the rest. I also need my kids to finish this school year so my mom can watch them without worrying about trying to get three kids off to school and herself off to work. I'll be on this site a little more since I need to fill up on RNY info about diet/vitamins etc. Thanks again everyone.

--Stephanie --   

CarolinaGirl270
on 9/5/10 1:57 am
Wow, Meg, I just looked at your profile. I had a baby too while I was banded. I got pregnant 4 months after I was banded and then nothing was ever the same with my band. My highest weight was 274 and I used Atkins last summer to get to 213 for a cruise. Here I sit at 255. This sucks. I can totally relate to your goal to clean the house without getting winded. LOL.  Where are you in your journey to revision?

--Stephanie --   

m1806
on 9/5/10 2:07 am - Marshville, NC
Great hearing from you, Stephanie, as far as where I am in the process, I'm trying to decide which surgeon. It boils down to, 1) the doctor w/ the easier program who is closer to home, or 2) the doctor w/ a more stringent program who is farther from home. (Any input?) I've pretty much decided I'm DONE with the band, as much $ as I put into it (self-pay) it's just not worked for me. Yes, I haven't worked it b/c it's too easy to cheat. I'm hoping that the RNY will allow me to feel full, which is something I've never felt w/ the Lap-Band. I'm also hoping that it'll produce results that allow me to stay motivated; I've NEVER been successful with weight loss so I think if I WAS successful I would care about my weight and health. Is this false hope?? I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having with the band and your insurance!!

Joyce G.
on 9/8/10 2:37 pm - FL
Hi Stephanie,

I saw your post and thought you sounded familiar.  I also had Lap Band surgery by Dr. Byrne in Nov. 06.  I am also now looking into a revision to a DS or RNY.  This band has been nothing but problems for me.  I have lost no more than 25 lbs. over the last 4 years.  I had to have a port revision in 2009 as my port flipped, have had so many fills and either had no restriction or too tight.  I constantly get food stuck, PB, vomit, pain etc.  I wish I never would have this awful thing put in me and hope that I can get insurance approval to a revision.  I used to live in Summerville, SC but moved to FL last year.  I have found a Dr. in GA that I am hoping will revise my band to a DS.  I have an upper GI and an endoscopy scheduled.  What is a esophageal manometry?  Best of luck to you!

Joyce
Most Active