vsg to a rny???

StacysMom
on 9/8/10 5:47 pm
 IMHO, revising from the sleeve to the RNY would be a mistake.  If you stretched out your sleeve, you will do the same to your pouch, with the added deficit of not having a pyloric valve to release food into your intestinal tract.   The pouch's stoma will stretch out as well and then where will that leave you?  The malabsorption of the RNY is not really enough to sustain this kind of failure and your surgeon will probably then recommend revising you to the ERNY which, in order to be really effective, creates so much malabsorption as to create a "failure to thrive" situation.

If you cannot be revised to the DS, your best bet is to be re-sleeved and have your original sleeve made smaller.   Do you know how large it was made to begin with?   Perhaps your surgeon used too large of a bougie or even used a balloon to create your sleeve (I've heard of RNY docs doing this).   Perhaps you'd have been more successful with a smaller sleeve.   And, if that fails you too, then at least you still have the anatomy to revise to the DS, which is almost impossible to do if you get the RNY.   Maybe by then, your insurance company will approve it.
neacres100
on 9/13/10 12:18 am - NJ
In my own personal opinion, I would look into the DS.  You have the first part of it done already.  If it is due to insurance reasons, I would appeal, appeal, appeal.  Get an attorney envolved.  Get a complete copy of your health insurance policy on weight loss surgeries.  Also, if your surgeon doesn't perform DS, you may want to travel to get the right surgeon for you that can perform the DS.  Alot of DS'rs do travel to get the surgery done. 

My first surgeon, which I went for asking for the DS, he said the RNY would be better for me.  and he was a DS surgeon.  I said absolutely not.  I did not want the dumping syndrome, I didn't want to gain my weight back in 5 years.  I didn't want to have palpitations (I already have that issue, I didn't need to make it worse).  I switched surgeons, and am SO HAPPY I did.

Do your research on any surgery you are considering.  It will be the rest of your life.  You are your own best advocate of your body and health.

Best wishes to you.

Donna

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
StacysMom
on 9/13/10 5:49 am
 "My first surgeon, which I went for asking for the DS, he said the RNY would be better for me.  and he was a DS surgeon."

So, your first surgeon WAS a DS surgeon and he was still recommending the RNY for you??  That's really unusual!   I would think a DS surgeon would recommend the DS -- especially IF that's the surgery his patient is ASKING FOR!
neacres100
on 9/13/10 8:38 am - NJ
Yep, that's right, he is a DS surgeon.  Theres more to my story.  However because of my previous abdominal operations (they were done open and a long time ago), he read all my operative reports, he said it would be risky, too many adhesions and a delicate organ...the pancreas,  and didn't want to work with the pancreas, which was fuzed with my stomach.  He said it would be easier to do an rny, which wouldn't touch the pancreas. So he told me to think about the RNY.   I told him no, that's not what I want done.  So, I was talking to Dr. Gagner anyway for over a year, because I was waiting for him to transfer from Miami Fl, to NYC again.  But when he said he was going to Canada, I just looked for another surgeon.  When I told Dr. Gagner what the other surgeon said, he said that I could absolutely have the DS done.  I sent him all my operative reports, all my tests, etc.... he said there would be a lot of adhesions, and he's a pancreatic surgeon as well, but it could be done.  So, what I think, the other surgeon just didn't feel comfortable working with what he would find once he got in my abdomin.  I wasn't considered a textbook DS surgery I guess.  Whereas Dr. Gagner, went in cleaned me out, unattached all my organs from all the adhesions, and did my sleeve first.  I go back for the second half in Dec of Jan.  

Like I said, in my own personal opinion, I would never go for the RNY.  I know it has worked great for some, but for me, it was not an option that I was willing to even consider.

Donna

JRinAZ
on 9/14/10 2:57 am - Layton, UT
Donna!
Kudos to Gagner for having the expertise to improve the insides of your body while getting you the revision you truly wanted!!!  Kudos to you for taking the bumpy but better road!!

Dr. Keshishian ran into the same thing when he opened me up.  I was fused and twisted and literally a mess.  He had to add a ton extra O.R. time into fixing me.  But a surgeon SHOULD be able to leave you a much healthier package all together than when you walked through his door!  I would really worry about a surgeon who didn't feel comfortable doing a surgery.  Yikes!

Our experiences are proof that no one should select a revision surgeon lightly.  I chose Dr. K cuz I needed someone who had a long history of performing miracles!!!  My life was saved because of his aggressive "clean up".

If anyone is considering a revision to a DS (and ALL should at least research it and consider it).....please read www.dsfacts.com thoroughly.

I personally would only recommend Dr. Keshishian, Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Gagner and Dr. (going blank here but the surgeon in NJ....hmmmmm?  another G word?  LOL!)  ....If someone does any research and bumps into even a teeny red flag then RUN!  I learned the hard way!!!

Good luck with your 2nd DS half!  I hope you reach your personal goals!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 9/14/10 3:28 am - Mexico
On September 14, 2010 at 9:57 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Donna!
Kudos to Gagner for having the expertise to improve the insides of your body while getting you the revision you truly wanted!!!  Kudos to you for taking the bumpy but better road!!

Dr. Keshishian ran into the same thing when he opened me up.  I was fused and twisted and literally a mess.  He had to add a ton extra O.R. time into fixing me.  But a surgeon SHOULD be able to leave you a much healthier package all together than when you walked through his door!  I would really worry about a surgeon who didn't feel comfortable doing a surgery.  Yikes!

Our experiences are proof that no one should select a revision surgeon lightly.  I chose Dr. K cuz I needed someone who had a long history of performing miracles!!!  My life was saved because of his aggressive "clean up".

If anyone is considering a revision to a DS (and ALL should at least research it and consider it).....please read www.dsfacts.com thoroughly.

I personally would only recommend Dr. Keshishian, Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Gagner and Dr. (going blank here but the surgeon in NJ....hmmmmm?  another G word?  LOL!)  ....If someone does any research and bumps into even a teeny red flag then RUN!  I learned the hard way!!!

Good luck with your 2nd DS half!  I hope you reach your personal goals!!!

And Husted here in our very own Phoenix.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
neacres100
on 9/14/10 4:46 am - NJ
Thanks Joyce.  I am very thankful I stuck to my gut feeling and went with Dr Gagner.  He cleaned me up, seperated everything, even my pancreas from my stomach without any damage, and I'm alive and healing well.  Dr Gagner has done thousands of wls lap and I trusted his expertise, just as you with Dr. Keshishian. 

The other revision surgeon I believe is Dr. Greenbaum in NJ.

My second half may be on Dec 13th.  So I'll be going back to Canada.  I believe this is my life saving surgery.  Because before this, I really wasn't living, I was existing and going with the flow.  Come spring, I will be a lot lighter, and able to do so much more to enjoy my life with my family and friends.

All weight loss surgeries are serious and should really be completely researched and never just settle. 

Best wishes to all.

Donna

Most Active