vsg to a rny???

gwheezy41
on 9/5/10 2:31 am - Fullerton, CA
Hi would like to hear from people that are having a revision...vsg to a rny! Would like to know exactly what is done and is it harder on you having a revision? Longer  hospital time? More painful? Thanks...Gwheezy41

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/10 4:35 am - Bayonne, NJ
I don't think that can be done, since with the vsg the part of the stomach that would be made into a puch is gone. They might do a different type.

Why not consider the DS since you have the first half of it with the vsg? 
WASaBubbleButt
on 9/13/10 6:10 am - Mexico
On September 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM Pacific Time, baileymouse wrote:
I don't think that can be done, since with the vsg the part of the stomach that would be made into a puch is gone. They might do a different type.

Why not consider the DS since you have the first half of it with the vsg? 

You can do DS or bypass after a sleeve.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
gwheezy41
on 9/6/10 5:23 am - Fullerton, CA
Hi  Baileymouse,  that is what I wanted (DS) but he does not do it nor does my Ins cover it,  Dr said something about making pouch smaller and then doing the rest like Rny, I go back to see him next week and I'm going to ask him more questions about this. Thank you...Gwheezy41

liveinphx
on 9/6/10 6:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
I have heard of it being done, though it is not commonly done as far as I know. It is far more common to go from VSG to DS.
When did you have your sleeve done and what issues are you having leading you to see a revision if I might ask?
If malabsorbtion is what you are seeking, you may or may not know that with RNY much of the malabsorbtion of calories  will be gone after a year or two but the malabsorbtion of vitamins/nutrients will last forever.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
MsBatt
on 9/12/10 6:13 am
I would appeal. Having the Switch added to your current VSG would be less risky AND have a greater chance of long-term success. Get a lawyer if necessary---this is the rest of your life we're talking about.
gwheezy41
on 9/6/10 7:24 am - Fullerton, CA
Hi Liveinphx, I had the vsg in 2/09, In about 2 monts later I felt no restriction, I felt guilty and felt like a failure, had lost about 50 lbs and stopped, I was so ashamed did not go back to the dr, went for therapy for emotional eating,  and went back to see the dr about a month ago, and he said that I needed a revision . I understand now all the things I did wrong and I'm grateful for this second chance.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/10 1:15 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Why would your insurance cover rny and not the DS? I would check into it more fully, and since it makes more medical sense to go for the DS after the vsg, you might be able to be approved on appeal. Just because this doctor doesn't do it doesn't mean you shouldn't investigate it.  Many people travel for the DS. I was lucky, I only had to go about 1.5 hrs south of me, but lots of people on the DS board have traveled.

There are people on here who help you with insurance questions, too.
bufedwards
on 9/7/10 11:49 am - Hustonville, KY
I would be concerned about a revision to a RNY. Be sure to ask lots of questions. Be sure to ask, what do they plan on doing with the rest of your sleeve? Are they going to leave it there like with a regular RNY or are they going to cut it out leaving you only with a pouch?

Also, it doesn't make sense for the insurance company to deny a revision to a DS and approve a revision to an RNY, in your case. So I would question them about this. In fact, if you already have the sleeve then you would only need the switch portion of the surgery. They may not understand this and your doctor may not be telling them either.

It sounds like he is opting for a more complicated procedure as opposed to the DS. He may not do the DS but there are plenty of surgeons that do.

Don't let them cut until you get more info. Something sounds fishy to me. Good luck!

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/8/10 12:14 am - Tuvalu

It would not be in my nature to accept what my surgeon--who had already provided me with one surgery that was wrong for me and my insurance company--looking out for its bottom line--are willing to offer me.   It would be in my nature to see if I had any options.

Have you read your policy?  Inculding the small print?  Do you have appeal rights? What happens when you run out of appeals with the company?  Do yo u have outside appeal rights?  Why would someone try to take away a perfectly decent--although very small--stomach configuration to provide you with something that is essentially a hybrid that is "neither fish nor fowl" as they say?  There is a perfectly well-accepted--by the ASMBS--surgery that would merely move you from the first step of a two-step DS to a full DS...and all you are being offered is an attempt to turn it into something that it can't really be and doesn't fit any ASMBS surgery description...nope, not my style.  At least not without fighting like hell for something I thought was really the best.

Part of the new Health Care Billl that many people don't know about is that there will soon be outside appeal rights for EVERYONE with insurance...even in states that don't believe that individuals should have appeal rights against an insurance company....by next July (I think.)  And if states don't provide that option, federal appeal rights will apply.

Really, check out all your options.
Most Active