How would you compare the pain of rny to a ds revision ?

April Greer
on 9/4/10 12:00 pm - Springfield, MO
 Hi! I am in hopes of getting my rny that was done in 2002 revised to a ds.  My first go around was not a good experience.  I pick a VERY bad Dr. and truly was just a number.  I am trying hard to learn as much as I can this time about the Dr and the surgery.  I am hoping to have Dr. Keshishian.  I keep trying to tell myself the end result will be worth it. 
April     
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/10 11:20 pm - Bayonne, NJ
From what I understand, you'll be in good hands with Dr. Keshishian.

I had RNY in 2003. I had the DS revision at the end of 2009. Both were open.

There was more pain with the DS revision, but Dr. Greenbaum had to do a lot of work on me. I had adhesions from prior surgeries (c-section, lower body lift, rny, hernia repair), he had to repair a partial bowel obstruction, and he took my gall bladder & appendix. He also had to excise out the permanent ring on my stoma, something most RNY patients don't have.

Was it manageable? Yeah. They gave me happy drugs, and by the time I got home I was ok. All I wanted to do was sleep. I think the drain and the j-tube were more of a pain in the ass than the surgery itself. I was in the hospital for 5 days. A month later I flew from NJ to Texas to see friends.

The end result will be very, very worth it. I am soooo glad I went through with this and I am loving life now. All of the pain & frustration from my RNY is gone.
April Greer
on 9/5/10 4:31 am - Springfield, MO
Thanks Bailey.  My main reason for asking my question is not because I am afraid of the pain.  I am trying to prepare myself mentally for what is to come.  I think what will make a major difference this time will be the confidence I have in Dr. K.  I have had several surgeries since my RNY but, at the same time I know this will be the biggest ordeal yet.  I just want to make sure I do it right.  Thanks again
April     
Debbie M.
on 9/5/10 9:39 pm
Hi,
Check out my profile for some info.  I had an RNY in 2002 and revised with Dr. Keshishian.  My RNY was lap, the revision is open.  Initially sneezing and coughing weren't fun, but the pain was never unbearable and he's a big fan of being sure you're comfortable  He told me if you're in pain, I'm not doing my job.  I couldn't agree more.  You're in great hands with Dr. K. he's just the best.
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Most Active