Anyone gone from Lap-Band to RNY???

terilynn112
on 9/5/10 7:15 am - maryland, NY
I'm with ya'll, I've had my band for 2 yrs, failed and am on my way to an rny. *sorry typing one handed- little on asleep on the other* I have to go as if i hadn't had surgery with my surgeons office. I have medicare and medicaid, so I still have to meet those original requirements. I am my surgeons 6th revision. NONE with complications. I have no fears about that aspect. Mine come from family members failing me post op of my lapband placement. I had help scheduled and was dropped like a stinky sock.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

m1806
on 9/5/10 1:06 pm - Marshville, NC
Please keep us updated on your surgery date!! ~M~ 
liveinphx
on 9/5/10 11:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On September 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM Pacific Time, terilynn112 wrote:
I'm with ya'll, I've had my band for 2 yrs, failed and am on my way to an rny. *sorry typing one handed- little on asleep on the other* I have to go as if i hadn't had surgery with my surgeons office. I have medicare and medicaid, so I still have to meet those original requirements. I am my surgeons 6th revision. NONE with complications. I have no fears about that aspect. Mine come from family members failing me post op of my lapband placement. I had help scheduled and was dropped like a stinky sock.

teri
I am curious how "family members failing me post op" caused your band/you to fail? Would you be willing to clarify?
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
terilynn112
on 9/6/10 12:04 am - maryland, NY
My band didn't fail because of that. It made healing more difficult, with a disabled little boy. And I fear the same happening with this surgery. It happened when I recently had to have my ovaries removed too.

I'd set up help, one being my respite provider for the disabled guy, and my neice who was to stay with me for a week, just to help out, being paid and all, jumped ship after less than 24 hours. So I was home with a 11 yr old, and twin 30 month old boys. One being very much dependent on me for getting around. It made healing and concentrating on fluids in and such, VERY VERY difficult.

I'm sorry I confused you.

Teri

Servaline Savannah
on 9/5/10 9:07 am - MI
Yep, I had to fulfil the original requrements.  My BMI wasn't high enough.  How illogical is that, 'tho?  You have to gain weight so that they will revise to another surgery that will help you lose weight, even if there were mechanical failures with the initial surgery. 
m1806
on 9/5/10 1:08 pm - Marshville, NC
Thank you all for sharing! Anyone know if they do 2 separate insurance authorizations? Wondering that b/c I'd hate to get approval for the removal, but not approval for the subsequent RNY!! ~M~
terilynn112
on 9/5/10 9:54 pm - maryland, NY
IF they plan to do it as one, no, but if they have to do it with two... most do require separate approvals. Medicare medicaid doesn't give prior auths.

Teri

Teri

Servaline Savannah
on 9/5/10 10:01 pm - MI
I sure hope it is just one surgery.  I'll be asking on Sept 23rd and let you know what my surgeon says.  Probably depends on the amount of damage the lapband did?  Yes, I bet you will have to submit to insurance twice, not sure.  That too probably depends on the type of ins.
TamaraL
on 9/5/10 11:16 pm
I wanted 1 surgery mainly because I don't do good under anesthesia. The band has caused me to have a abnormal slow heart rate.  My BMI is 36.5.  With Blue Cross Blue Shields of North Carolina I had to have a medical reason for them to take the band out and the bypass done. Due to the pain, reflux, not able to tighten the band any more I was able to go full throttle with the surgery.

My surgeon is in Hickory at Hickory Surgical.  I love the support I have had with the surgery there.
I live near Asheville but because they are not a center of surgery of Excellence I chose to go to Hickory. 

I wonder that since your BMI is over 40 that Blue Cross would approve you

Tamara

emjayel56
on 9/6/10 9:09 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
I had the lapband for 8 years (actually I replaced one lapband with a 2nd lapband after 7 years due to slippage).  Band worked initially but around 3 to 4 years out started continual problems. i.e., too tight, too loose, reflux, pain, weight gain etc etc.  My top weight was 289, I lost weight on my own and weighed about 239 day of surgery for lapband.  Lowest weight with the band was about 180 and then gained over the years to about 226.  In August 2009 I revised to an RNY bypass.... the band was removed and I was converted to bypass in same procedure and it was done laparascopically.  They were worried about complications due to alot of scar tissue however, thankfully, I have had none.  Over the year that followed bypass surgery I lost all my weight and currently way 138 lbs and below my goal weight.  All the problems associated with the band are gone.  My only regret with the bypass is that I did not do it from day 1.  I follow my eating program religiously, do my exercise, take my vitamins.  I am very very pleased and a very happy person.  My insurance covered the revision.  Good luck to you and if you have any questions just ask.  Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Most Active