Band Over Bypass People...

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/7/10 5:42 am - Tuvalu
On September 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM Pacific Time, csanddex wrote:
As stated previously, the research is posted in other threads. Your rny experience does not apply to every other rny patient. I am happy with my bob. As the research librarian you claim to be, it should be no problem for you to find the info you seek. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

* Just a heads up to anyone reading this thread, read some of her other threads to get a sense for what her agenda is. She tries to bully and intimidate other posters because her opinion is DS or die. She is absolutely entitled to it but the part that is a bit disheartening is her tone. This tactic has obviously worked enough for her to continue to use it but it does not add weight to her arguments.

Another heads up to anyone reading this thread...the above comment is a good example of a lack of reading comprehension skills.

My sister is not a good candidate for the DS.  I helped her come to that conclusion. 

So, csanddex--who has no long term info on band over bypass because there isn't any--may have missed the finer points of other things s/he has read as well.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/10 10:18 pm, edited 9/6/10 1:17 pm - Bayonne, NJ
The studies you posted on 6/21 used small sample populations and  many of the reports weren't very long term. The studies show that the risk of complications was low and talk about being safe more than being effective.

1. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010 Jan-Feb;6(1):31-5. Epub 2009 Oct 9.

Adjustable gastric banding as revisional bariatric procedure after failed gastric
bypass--intermediate results.

Bessler M, Daud A, DiGiorgi MF, Inabnet WB, Schrope B, Olivero-Rivera L, Davis D.

Center for Obesity Surgery, Columbia University, New York-Presbyterian Hospital
and Lawrence Hospital, New York, NY 10032, USA. [email protected]

This study followed 22 patients. Three major complications occurred requiring reoperation.  "Patients had experienced a loss of 19%, 27%, 47.3%, 42.3%, 43%, and 47% of their excess weight at 6, 12, 24, 36, 48, and 60 months after the revisional procedure, respectively."  Weight loss statistics for other revision surgeries, including the VSG, are higher.

1. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009 Jan-Feb;5(1):38-42. Epub 2008 Aug 22.

Adjustable gastric band placed around gastric bypass pouch as revision operation
for failed gastric bypass.

Chin PL, Ali M, Francis K, LePort PC.

Smart Dimensions and Lite Dimensions Surgical Weight Loss, Fountain Valley,
California, USA. [email protected]

"Of the 10 patients accrued during this period, 2 were lost to follow-up, leaving 8 patients for analysis."  There were three complications in the sample, 2 requiring port revision and 1 postoperative wound hematoma. By 2 years they were only able to follow 5 patients, and by the three year mark, 1 patient.

1. Obes Surg. 2009 Oct;19(10):1439-41. Epub 2008 Dec 13.

Laparoscopic insertion of a gastric band for weight gain following laparoscopic
Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass: description of the technique.

This study follows only one patient, and shows results at 4 months.

Heath D, Leff D, Sufi P.

North London Obesity Surgery Service, The Whittington Hospital, Magdala Avenue,
London, N19 5NF, UK. [email protected]

1. Surg Endosc. 2008 Apr;22(4):1019-22. Epub 2007 Oct 18.

Gastric banding as a salvage procedure for patients with weight loss failure
after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.

Gobble RM, Parikh MS, Greives MR, Ren CJ, Fielding GA.

Department of Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New Bellevue 15
North 1, 550 First Avenue, New York, New York, 10016, USA [email protected]

This study followed 11 patients. 1 needed to have their port redone due to flipping. The average follow-up after the band over bypass was 13 months (2-32 months) with a mean BMI of 37.1 kg/m(2 )(22.7-54.5 kg/m(2)) and an overall mean EWL of 59% (7-96%).  That's not exactly stellar weight loss.

You also posted on June 10th of this year:

"I am suppossed to be getting a Band over Bypass on 6-25 in mexico but have been looking at the options. I have spoken to several sleeve patients and they say recovery was reasonable. Two main reasons. One is cash but the other is I do not have the time or emotional energy to recover from the DS." 

Does that mean that you would have gone that route if you'd had insurance? I think, like people who answered you in that thread, that the VSG is a much better option than the band. I have 5 friends with lap-bands. 4 of them have had complications, most have a crappy quality of life if they keep it filled, and none have come close to goal weight. You may complain about Cal posting what she did, but the statistic is right. 78% don't lose half of the excess weight.

There are people who choose to wait, fight their insurance companies, and bring in legal representation. Diana Cox has helped so many people on here, and Walter Lindstrom at Obesity Law has taken on and won many cases.

Most Active