Band Over Bypass People...

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/2/10 1:54 pm - Tuvalu

Why? 

If your first WLS has failed, why would you then add the LEAST EFFECTIVE WLS EVER on top of that?

According to the folks who make and sell the band, 78% of the people who get the band do not manage to lose even HALF their excess weight. 

Really, think this through a lot before you do it.  You have one failed wls...why would you add something that is known to fail more than three times out of four to correct the problem?

Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

csanddex
on 9/2/10 3:13 pm
It actually works quite well because it restores the previous surgery. There is plenty of research to support it and I posted it in a previous thread. There are multiple people on this board who have had good results. In a certain way I agree with your sentiment because I would not have had one to start.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/2/10 3:18 pm, edited 9/3/10 4:11 am - Tuvalu
In my opinion, it adds a new layer of complication possibilities.  Now, on top of RnY issues, the poor people ALSO get to deal with slippage, erosion, esophageal dysmotility and GERD.

It would make more sense to go in a direction that has improved success, not increased failure.
MsBatt
on 9/3/10 3:18 am
Csanddex, do you speak from experience? All your profile tells us is that you're planning on having a revision.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/3/10 4:12 am - Tuvalu

Or provide links to peer reviewed stats?
csanddex
on 9/3/10 11:51 am, edited 9/3/10 4:42 pm
I had it in June. I did a lot of research on it. If you look at my June or July posts, I posted several abstracts on the matter. Click on link under my name to see posts. As far as the gerd, because of the rewiring that is not an issue. When I throw up, there is no stomach acid. You need to also consider what is considered a medical success vs what we have in our heads. There is research saying there are all kinds of benefits for people who lose 10% of their excess weight. After 5 years half of rny patients gain at least half of their weight back. Wls ain't a quick fix no matter what you chose and I think the medical community is starting to realize we need tweaks every few years.
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/10 11:13 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Uh, just because there's no stomach acid doesn't mean there won't be complications.

I had a permanent ring around my stoma with my RNY. I threw up constantly. The dentist said "it's not a problem, there's no acid so your teeth are fine."  However, 6 years later, an endoscopy showed severe esophageal erosion from throwing up.

Most RNY regain is because there's no more malabsorption and the body overcompensates for the previous malabsorption. The band over bypass doesn't address that. Instead, it goes along with the "we have to cut down on what the fatass is eating" idea.

I lived on 1200 calories a day. I followed a low-fat diet, became extremely anemic, even though I always supplemented. I don't think a band over my bypass would have done a damned thing for me.

I'd rather not need a tweak every few years, so looking at the long-term research I revised to the DS. It's not for everyone, but it's working for me, and I think it'll work for years to come as long as I follow the low-carb protocol.
csanddex
on 9/5/10 5:19 am, edited 9/5/10 5:22 am
Uh, i think you hit the nail on the head when you say the ds is not for everyone. The ds also has it's share of complications and failures. The bob is viable, supported by research and has several success stories on this board. It is up to the individual to do their research and make a final determination.
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/10 5:32 am - Bayonne, NJ
You stated that there was no problem with your reflux because there wasn't any acid. I showed otherwise, based on my own experience. Please link us to the long term viability studies you have quoted. As a reference librarian & a library director, I would be very curious to see them. Every study I saw showed the long term complication rates for the band to be vey high. They also showed that the band doesn't help most with a bmi over 45.

Take it as snarky if you want, but like the kids say, learn to link.
csanddex
on 9/5/10 4:30 pm, edited 9/5/10 4:39 pm
As stated previously, the research is posted in other threads. Your rny experience does not apply to every other rny patient. I am happy with my bob. As the research librarian you claim to be, it should be no problem for you to find the info you seek. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

* Just a heads up to anyone reading this thread, read some of her other threads to get a sense for what her agenda is. She tries to bully and intimidate other posters because her opinion is DS or die. She is absolutely entitled to it but the part that is a bit disheartening is her tone. This tactic has obviously worked enough for her to continue to use it but it does not add weight to her arguments.
Most Active