Lap-band to RNY?

Kimberley H.
on 8/30/10 11:32 pm - Winston-Salem, NC

What was your experience going from a lap-band to the RNY? So far everyone I have spoke to said it was complete and absolute relief, and it was immediate.

terilynn112
on 8/30/10 11:44 pm - maryland, NY
good question, but i'm also pre op, so I can't help first hand. But I too hear the same thing.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

missnanajean
on 8/31/10 5:23 am - Friendswood, TX
I had revision from Lapband to RNY 11/09 and can't be happier. I can eat pretty normal get full quicker and have lost almost 100lb.s. The Rny surgery was much less painful than the lapband. Not really even painful just a pulling burning sensation where the Dr. removed the band. I had always had a soreness on that side and never lost a pound in the 2 yr.s I had it. My only regret is I didn't do the RNY first but I was scared now I know better and recommend if you have more than 100lb s to lose get something other than lapband. I am wearing small clothes for the first time in my life and it is AWESOME!
  Miss  Jean   
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/10 12:41 pm - NJ
Yes - I had my band out a month before I had RNY to allow my stomach to heal from the damage the band caused (reflux).

I felt amazing when I woke up from the removal!  I feel that I am able to eat better with RNY too (no more puking or intense stomach pain!).

I have more info on my profile if you want to read more :)

Good luck!!
Mary B.
on 9/5/10 12:37 am - Southern, MD
I just had my revision done...Im 11 days post op. Im still on mushies, but I can drink more than last time.

I have noticed my recovery is a little harder but I try to remember that this was a much more involved surgery and had my band removed at the same time. Im a little worried about going back to work on Tuesday, but I'll survive.

Any news for you yet? Hope you are still hangin on!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Kimberley H.
on 9/7/10 11:29 pm - Winston-Salem, NC

I hope everything was okay for you yesterday. I only have 2 weeks of vacation time to recover.

I decided to go with the RNY, although there were a lot of attractive things about the DS. I just felt it was too much surgery for me and when I found out I could still have reflux, that was the deal breaker.

I've submitted all my paperwork to a reputable surgeon that I researched and luckily he's local too.

I'm going to attend one of his seminars tonight to refresh my brain.

I'll be so glad when this band is gone.

I have heard such great news from people *****vised from the lap-band to the RNY.

Most Active