Lapband, or RNY

Vicki E.
on 8/30/10 1:06 am
Hi.  I am just starting the process of WLS and I am looking at my options.  I have been to both the lapband and RNY boards and seen them talk about revision.  I was just wondering what were the reasons behind having revisions?  I dont want to make a decision and then have to go thru surgery again.  Also I know a few people that have had RNY, eat normally and gained all the weight back.  Is this because there pouch has stretched? 

Thank you for any advice you can give me - Sunny
 “Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be? George Sheehan

Debbie M.
on 8/30/10 7:06 am
pouch could stretch, stoma could stretch, you can out eat your surgery no matter which one you choose. Little harder to do with the DS because you've also got malabsorption on your side.  You might  want to check out www.dsfacts.com.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

TamaraL
on 8/30/10 10:02 am
Sunny

The  biggest thing with the band is that if you are a volume eater it will prevent you from eating big quantities. You do have to make healthy food choices. You do have to stay on top of the diet and not eat sweets. You may lose 1-2 pounds/week. You may have no weight loss with the band during some weeks.

The band can slip, it can cause chronic heartburn. After 1 1/2 years with the band I am so tired of hurting and being miserable. Not every body has these problems but I have. Please do your research before deciding on surgery.

bufedwards
on 8/30/10 10:24 am - Hustonville, KY
Have you considered the DS?

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Kimberley H.
on 8/30/10 11:27 pm - Winston-Salem, NC

Sunny,

I would strongly advise against the lap-band. I have had it for ten years and it has been miserable.

I want a revision as soon as I can.

missnanajean
on 8/31/10 5:31 am - Friendswood, TX
I had lapband  and never lost a pound in 2 yr.s once I got the RNY things took off and now almost 100lb.s down I can wear small clothes for the first time in my life. I have severa health problems that are gone or resolving  and manageable and feel so much better. Thats smart to investigate because doing it a second tome you lose slower.
  Miss  Jean   
amp173
on 8/31/10 6:32 am - Pleasant Gap, PA
Sunny,
I had the Realize band placed alittle over 2 years ago.  This past spring I started to have moderate complications from my band, by mid summer I had to have it drained.  My weight loss was minimal.  Now I am in the process of having the band removed and having a bypass done in December.  Good Luck!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/10 12:44 pm - NJ
Had the band and had it removed due to reflux.  I have RNY now and love it.

You should investigate the DS and the VSG too; there are boards here on OH.  Make sure you review all surgeries available before deciding.....
Servaline Savannah
on 9/1/10 1:49 am - MI
I too am in the process of having a revision from the Realize Band to RNY.  I have had the band for 2 1/2 years and lost 60 and gained it all back.  I did have complications with GERD, and acid coming up at night, choking, etc during the second year because the band was too tight.  I never did find what they call the 'sweet spot'.
justmeny
on 9/1/10 10:43 am
Hi, Sunny.  I had a lap band in 2005 and lost 50 of the 125 pounds I needed to lose.  Then things started going wrong. To make a long story short, I need to have the band removed as it has slipped though I am very lucky there is (apparently) minimal erosion from what the ultrasounds, esophagram and other tests show.  I have regained 30 pounds at this point, putting my BMI back to about 39.  Regardless, I would advise against the lap band.  It is, in my opinion, the least effective WLS option.  I am pursuing the VSG and have been researching it thoroughly for 4 months.  Take a look at the VSG board and do A LOT OF RESEARCH on whatever WLS you choose.  Best of luck to you....sending good thoughts.
Janis
April 2006: lap band
SW: 256, LW: 201
Planning revision to VSG
Most Active