LapBand Revision to ???

FoxieRoxie
on 8/26/10 12:37 pm - TX
 I had the LapBand in August 2004.  I've subsequently have developed a dilated esophagus and have also discovered scar tissue around my stomach where the band sits.  There currently is no fill and my doctor is evaluating the best course of action, which of course could possibly mean removal and revision to something else.

I've read that RNY is best for helping GERD (which I have due to dilation), yet am slightly hesitant because it seems rather drastic.  HOWEVER....throughout my research, I can't help but circle back to that being the best possibility for me.  With that said, I have a few questions to those of you who have gone through this:

How long was your recovery time for your RNY or Sleeve?  

How long was it before you were able to go back to work? I have an office job.

What has your weight loss experience been like since your revision - and what type of revision did you have?  I've read that weight loss is slower in revisions vs. first time WLS.

Did you suffer from GERD, and if so, what type of revision did you have and has it helped?

Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to being a part of this community!
Baby Blues
on 8/26/10 4:27 pm - Roy, UT
I had GERD and I revised from the band to DS. 

BEST THING EVER.  I lost 150 lbs in 11 months.

Just remember that a revision surgery is going to take LONGER and be more intense. I worked at Starbucks at the time of my revision and was told I could not return to work for 2 weeks and then only lite duty (no more then 12 hours a week or longer then 4 hour shifts in a day) for the first 2 week after that. I would imagine that working at an office job you might have more flexibility and barring any complications you should be able to return to work in 2 weeks or so.

Ironically I just had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and altho my scars have healed nicely and my surgeon is pleased with how things are going I am still strugging with sheer exhaustion and occassional mild cramps if I work my stomach muscles too much. 

Good luck with your revision.
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
SchwartzFamly
on 8/26/10 7:51 pm
I had my band from 10/07. Lots of problems (lost almost 100 pounds, had to have all fluid out and regained almost 40).

Revised to a sleeve.

First week I was walking dead.  Second week my kids no longer asked "mommy, are you sick" every three seconds.  Third week I felt really good.  This last week I've had a nasty sinus infection (not related to surgery, just the boon docks where we live) and haven't felt better until today when I got a steroid shot from the doc.

So far I've lost 24 pounds since surgery. 

I can eat.  I haven't thrown up since the surgery.  I just feel better.
 I'm 6' tall and 41 years old

Jennifer D.
on 8/27/10 3:16 am
What is your BMI? If it is 50+ I would go with DS, I would even consider it below that BMI. The sleeve is another option but GERD is prevalent in the first few months and then is usually under control. I converted from the RNY, it was a horrible experience for me.
bufedwards
on 8/27/10 9:20 am - Hustonville, KY
Ditto.... (DS)

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

skinnyin2010
on 8/27/10 2:21 pm
I had the band in 2006, did not have any success, so in May 2010 I had the revision to RNY, I am so happy, I had no problems, had laproscopic surgery on Friday morning and went home Saturday.  I am now down 54lbs since May, I really feel its a lot to do with attitude and determination and doing as the doctor says.  I have gone to all my post op appts and also a nutrition class and I am always on the forum getting suggestions from others that have already been where I am.  I started taking my vitamins as soon as I could and I also get a 1000mg b-12 shot once a month, it really helps with the energy level.  I wish you success and best health with your revision.  Angie Sturr
flwr54
on 9/10/10 1:35 am
Foxie, I am there with you! Had the band since 2002, horrible GERD, I now have Barrett's esophogus. I am trying to decide what to do, just remove the band or revise to another WLS. I have out of control diabetes so, I need to do something. My BMI is about 38. Keep me updated and good luck!
shelliwi
on 9/13/10 5:53 am - Sheldon, WI
I have some of the same questions. I've had my band since July of 09 and have had nothing but problems with GERD. I sleep in a chair and wake up puking and choking on acid. I have irratated my band so much that I have had 2 complete unfills and now the doctor thinks my band may have slipped. I'm thinking about converting to the sleeve. However, I'm also anxious to know if the GERD followed people with the sleeve. I never experienced GERD before being banded and I don't want to live with it any longer. I'm not really keen on RNY. I don't want to go that drastic. (just me) I was one pound from goal and now am up about 10#. I'm not even sure if my insurance will cover a revision. I'm actually waiting on a call back from my surgeon.
I guess I just want to research my options.

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

WASaBubbleButt
on 9/13/10 6:09 am - Mexico
On August 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM Pacific Time, FoxieRoxie wrote:
 I had the LapBand in August 2004.  I've subsequently have developed a dilated esophagus and have also discovered scar tissue around my stomach where the band sits.  There currently is no fill and my doctor is evaluating the best course of action, which of course could possibly mean removal and revision to something else.

I've read that RNY is best for helping GERD (which I have due to dilation), yet am slightly hesitant because it seems rather drastic.  HOWEVER....throughout my research, I can't help but circle back to that being the best possibility for me.  With that said, I have a few questions to those of you who have gone through this:

How long was your recovery time for your RNY or Sleeve?  

How long was it before you were able to go back to work? I have an office job.

What has your weight loss experience been like since your revision - and what type of revision did you have?  I've read that weight loss is slower in revisions vs. first time WLS.

Did you suffer from GERD, and if so, what type of revision did you have and has it helped?

Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to being a part of this community!

I had a band in 12/06 and hated every minute of it.  I got to goal but revised at goal to a sleeve.

The scarring around the band is supposed to be there.  It's normal, it's what holds the band in place long term.  We all have it and you'll have it around your bypass staple lines in time as well.

Recovery for my revision to sleeve was the same as the band.

I went to work as soon as I got out of the hospital.  Worst part of the whole recovery was removing my port, that hurt for a couple of weeks.

I revised at goal so I was trying to maintain.

I do have GERD, damage from the band and it will always be there.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active