Failure?

Scartears
on 8/25/10 1:58 am - Canada
Hi all,

Well, it's not  with 100% certainty right now but it looks as if my lapband is eroding. I had an endo the other day for something else and the surgeon mentionned I had a bunch of small ulcers on my stomach. I had the results sent to my bariatric surgeon asap and I am waiting on a call back.

Being a year out, I am completely upset and devasted as you can imagine. While the band has been a complete annoying experience, I have been very successful.

I've lost 130 pounds and only have about 10 pounds to go. Of course when you select a WLS, you want something for life. I never want to be fat again.

If my band has eroded, I am considering VSG (my surgeon does not do RNY). It seems logical to me because I am almost at goal and need something to maintain basically. I know DS is golden, but I don't need the malabsortion really so I think the VSG would be ideal for me.

For those of you who went from band to VSG - how was the surgery? Is it done Lap? Is it pregnancy friendly? Recover?

Of course those are all things I will discuss with my surgeon, just freaked out a little right now.

If the band has failed me, I swear I will NEVER recommend it to ANYONE.

Thanks,
Monica
mallrat
on 8/25/10 4:09 am - St Peters, MO
I just had my revsions from lapband to VSG last Wednesday.   The surgery wasnt bad at all.  I was expecting more pain.  I just have some soreness in my stomach.   It is done lap.  Because there was a lot of scar tissue from the band, the surgery took 3 hours.

I am one week out, and still have very little energy and am tired all the time, but other than that, I  feel fine. 

I would never recommend the band to anyone either.   I had 2 bands and 3 slips total in 4 years.  My revision to VSG was my 4th surgery and hopefully the last.

Good luck to you.
justmeny
on 8/26/10 10:24 am
Hi, Monica. If you search the VSG boards, you will find a lot of people *****vised from a band to the VSG.  You can also use the search feature on the main OH page.  Good luck to you!
Janis
April 2006: lap band
SW: 256, LW: 201
Planning revision to VSG
Most Active