confused about which surgery is safest

lillybell68
on 8/25/10 11:51 am
I have had my Realize band for almost two years now and hate it.  I've only lost about 40-45 lbs and have recently gain most if not all back.  I am interested in revision surgery but don't know which is best/safest.  Any thoughts?
Liza
Jennifer D.
on 8/25/10 12:40 pm, edited 8/25/10 12:40 pm
What is your BMI right now Liza? Some say the VSG is safest as it involves the least cutting and no rearrangement of intestines.
lillybell68
on 8/25/10 10:24 pm
My BMI is 36 right now and I've got bad arthritis, high bp and glucose intolerance.
Angela R.
on 8/28/10 7:00 am - Jewett City, CT
I'm going for the RNY from band... But that's me..
Angela 
Revision Surgery from Lapband to Gastric Bypass... 1/3/11
Start 290 / Now 208/oal 180 (Doctor set goal)

MsBatt
on 8/29/10 8:09 am
With bad arthritis, you definitely want either the Sleeve or the DS, because you do NOT want to have to give up NSAIDs. Since you're a lightweight, the Sleeve might do the trick for weight loss---but you have glucose intolerance, which is a precurser to diabetes, isn't it? And the DS gives the very best results as far as resolving or preventing diabetes.

I'd seriously look at both the Sleeve and the DS. The 'safest' surgery is going to be the one that will do the trick long-term and not cause you to need another surgery later on.
justmeny
on 9/1/10 10:59 am
I have been researching VGS, thoroughly, for at least 4 months.  I do believe it is the safest WLS option at this point in time.  There is a risk of leak, as there is with all WLS surgeries, but the most recent data suggests that an EXPERIENCED sleeve surgeon has a leak rate of less than .2% which is better than most.  Good luck to you and do your research.  Sending you good thoughts...
Janis
April 2006: lap band
SW: 256, LW: 201
Planning revision to VSG
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/2/10 1:49 pm - Tuvalu

It all depends on how you define "Safe."

There is a SLIGHTLY higher chance of mortality with the more complicated surgeries...but not all that much in real numbers.  (And the DS has a higher mortality rate, but it also has the largest number of really SSMO people having surgery.)

LapBand is the safest for the hour or so you're in surgery---if you don't count the part that 78% of LapBands FAIL and those people are still dying from morbid obesity.  That isn't very safe at all.

I had the band and revised to the DS.
Most Active