1st doc appt was today for revision

Texas_Saphire
on 8/20/10 1:58 pm - McAllen, TX
I've gained 50 lbs. Saw doc today. I have an endoscopy next week. Then he will see what's going on inside...but said he's 99.9% sure I would require revision.

Now Just hope my insurancde (blue cross blue shields fed) approves it!
Debbie M.
on 8/21/10 2:38 am
What kind of revision are you thinking of having?

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Texas_Saphire
on 8/21/10 2:56 am - McAllen, TX
he recommended the lap band. But i'm mortified. I was scared that he would say i wouldn't qualify but he thinks its a mechanical failure with by rny as well as overeating, stretched pouch etc. I do get alot of diarhea as well. So they will do the upper GI and after that determine if I qualify. He is like 100% sure the endoscopy will show what he suspects.

So now that he told me what i wanted to hear, I'm scared. I dont know why but I am. I'm afraid I won't lose any weight. He said i'd loswe 60-70 lbs. I'm @ 200lbs right now. But that it might be slower than my first surgery.

Driving back home I thought maybe i could just lose the weight on my own and not need a revision. But seriously, I know myself better than anyone and if i could have I wouldn't have dieted my entire life unsuccesfully to 300lbs.

So...I just don't know what I'm scare about. I guess reading everyone's posts and opinions about which revision to do adn how one is better or worst, etc.

I'm just confused right now. And if all is thumbs up with doctor I hope insurance approves it. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal...and it seems like they're pretty good at approving revisions as long as it's deemed medically necessary by doctors.
Jennifer D.
on 8/22/10 1:48 pm
I would be mortified too if anyone suggested the lap band to me as a revision! Look at what most people on this board are revising from and read their experiences. This is a somewhat "out there" thread but illustrates my point.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4179142/Who-wants -a-choking-collar-called-Lap-Band/
Check out the DS or possibly the VSG and be sure you have a surgeon who is experienced in doing revisions.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Debbie M.
on 8/21/10 5:09 am

It's ok to be scared, I was frightened when I was faced with this.  Just don't put pressure on yourself to speed through this process.   I don't know much about the band but do see quite a few people revising from it to other surgeries.  I imagine there's a lot of factors that weigh in to it.

Be sure you research all of your options before you make a final decision.

Best of luck in your journey,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Windi
on 8/21/10 1:00 pm - Sparks, NV
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield federal as well (basic option) and I just had my revision done on 8/2/10.  :)  I went from a RNY to yet another RNY.  My insurance had no issues at all approving the procedure and it went through on the first submission. 

HW 245; SW 232; GW 150
I will do this! 

Texas_Saphire
on 8/23/10 2:57 am - McAllen, TX
Wow...now I'm really confused. Just don't understand why there are so many problems with the band. Or so many against band over bypass.
Ms Shell
on 8/23/10 5:28 am - Hawthorne, CA
It's ok to be scared AND confused.  My biggest suggest is to RESEARCH until you start crying.  I did before I got the band and in my 3 years since surgery the more people I see HAVING to revise from bands to other surgies makes me proud that I researched till exhaustion!

ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Texas_Saphire
on 8/23/10 3:49 am - McAllen, TX
windi,

How long from your initial appt. till surgery date? Just wondering how long your process took. I know every doctor is different...but just curious.
Windi
on 8/23/10 10:54 am - Sparks, NV

My first appointment with the surgeon was in May and I got approval in July.  In that time I had to have a psych visit, a visit with the nutritionist and attend two educational classes held by the surgeon's office, plus get an upper GI and lab work.  What took so long was that it was also mandatory to attend a support group sponsered by their office and it was only offered once a month at the place I could go.  This is what dragged it out.  Once I finished all of the above, they submitted my packet to my insurance and I received an approval within 10 days.  My surgery was scheduled about 2 weeks after that.

HW 245; SW 232; GW 150
I will do this! 

Most Active