DS REVISION

Lisa A.
on 8/18/10 11:24 am - Ottawa, Canada
I had my DS 3 years ago.  I weighed 430 pounds.  I lost 180 pounds but did not get to my goal.  I maintained my weight for 3 years and now in the last month i have gained 20 pounds??!? I have not changed anything?!?!!? What is going on?!!?!  I have asked my surgeon on multiple occassions to do a revision but he refuses.  My common channel is 100 cm but really should be shorter given my start weight.  Any suggestions? Advice? personal experience?? thanks, Lisa

I LOVE MY DS!!!

stillhopefull
on 8/18/10 12:14 pm
 You need to post over on the DS board.  They have a lot of very helpful people who can help you.
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
StacysMom
on 8/18/10 8:08 pm
JRinAZ
on 8/19/10 1:30 am - Layton, UT
On August 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM Pacific Time, Lisa A. wrote:
I had my DS 3 years ago.  I weighed 430 pounds.  I lost 180 pounds but did not get to my goal.  I maintained my weight for 3 years and now in the last month i have gained 20 pounds??!? I have not changed anything?!?!!? What is going on?!!?!  I have asked my surgeon on multiple occassions to do a revision but he refuses.  My common channel is 100 cm but really should be shorter given my start weight.  Any suggestions? Advice? personal experience?? thanks, Lisa
Hi Lisa!
100 cm is fairly common for a DS but many surgeon's will go as short as 50.  Your surgeon may not feel comfortable with the revision so how about getting other opinions?  You can find the list of the best revision surgeons on www.dsfacts.com  I chose Dr. Keshishian in CA for my revision.  He seems to get a kick out of the serious challenges and sails through them with ease!

I'd recommend posting on the DS forum as well so you get more/better feedback than on here.

I'm tackling some regain myself right now (high calories going into a feeding tube and living immersed in chocolate for the entire month of July ).....and am having to go back to basics with high protein/ low carb.  I'm pretty much living in the Atkins induction phase with my carbs under 20 each day.  It's working great and I have more energy! 

Good luck!  Hopefully you'll find some answers that can help you get to your goals!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

bufedwards
on 8/21/10 11:38 am - Hustonville, KY
If your surgeon is totally opposed and you feel you need a revision I would suggest talking to another surgeon. 100cm as someone else posted is fairly common but as you have healed your stomach has probably stretched and your level of malabsorption may have also decreased over time.

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/21/10 2:46 pm

Your loss maintenance doesn't sound bad, but I do get it. You've come so far, it would be nice to go all the way, and while your rebound isn't huge, it's likely more annoying when you didn't get to your goal.

I'd look closely first at my diet and see if I could lower my carbs (like under 50gr/day) and make sure I was getting lots of protein and fluid. Some temporary changes would be easier on you than another surgery, but may not be the solution.

If you think a re-sleeving or shortening of the common channel will help, you should just talk to a revision surgeon to get their input. I can certainly be done.
Lisa A.
on 8/22/10 5:15 am - Ottawa, Canada
thanks everyone for your replies

I LOVE MY DS!!!

Most Active