Looking for Advice

lionessgrr
on 8/16/10 1:26 am
I'm not sure what to do.  I had my surgery, RNY GBP, almost 3 years ago.  The day of the surgery I weighted in at 317lbs (My heighest recorded weight was 355lbs).  The first 6 months after surgery the weight melted off.  I hit 201 in August 2008.  After that I gained back up to around 215lbs (hey I was thrilled to be there). Last year around August I started gaining more weight, so I hired a personal trainer and hit the gym.  I just about died exercising.  I would be burnt when I left there almost to the point where I couldn't walk, then I would leave and not be able to do anything the rest of the day.  After 2 months of that, I gained to 270lbs where I have stayed, give or take a few lbs (and not muscle or stamina).  I have tried the pouch reset diet, after doing it I didn't feel like it made a difference.  I'm starving all the time now and I'm exhausted.  My energy level and stamina are worse now than they were before I had the surgery.  I feel worse about myself because I have this disgusting excess skin which makes me look even worse in clothing than before I had the surgery.  I feel like a failure, not to mention my cousin had his surgery 2 months after me and is skinny as a rail (he eats worse than I and gets less exercise) Everyone is always saying how great he looks and how he did such a fantastic job.  Why is this still an issue for me? I'm still 130lbs over weight.  People who are 70lbs less than me are having the surgery.  Should I consider a revision, how do I know if I need one?  I don't think my surgeon would consider it, plus I don't want to see him and hear his lecturing.... any advice would be appreciated. 
JRinAZ
on 8/16/10 2:27 am - Layton, UT
Your cousin is a guy.  They burn the scale down in a fast hurry BUT.....he'll be on this forum in a while as well if he's eating crappy. 

You had the cards stacked against you when you began your journey.  You've actually done very well for an Rny with your starting weight!  So, pat yourself on the back, dust yourself off, and go see a different surgeon.  Some surgeon's take it personally when someone shows up unhappy with their procedure.  Just avoid that!  LOL!  Chances are, you surgeon isn't a revision expert anyway.

Your first step should be to find out if there's a medical issue through some scopes and tests.  Any Bariatric surgeon can order those BUT....you'll need an expert revision surgeon to help you make the right plan and execute it!  Check on www.dsfacts.com

Kudos to you for the exercise attempt!  If you were happy where you are right now, then I'd say that exercise and very strict dieting could at least keep you there but i"m hearing you'd like to go beyond your original lowest point?  ....  You CAN do it!  There is an option right for you!!!

Let us know if we can help!  .....  Theere are oodles of reivision peeps over on the DS forum that have been in your EXACT shoes! 

Hugggzzz!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

lionessgrr
on 8/16/10 2:47 am
Thank you soo much.  I'm going to look at that site now! 
PlantLover
on 8/16/10 3:07 am, edited 8/16/10 3:08 am

Hiya,

I don't know enough about rny to have an opinion on revision, but you said several times that you feel tired, exhausted, no stamina. Have you had bloodwork recently? Thyroid issues, iron anemia and b vitamin deficiencies can definitely make you feel wiped out!

Your surgeon will have had patients regain before, try phoning his office? Some tests wouldn't hurt, and
if there's a mechanical problem perhaps it can be fixed.

I hear you on the cousin issue. My sister is my height, a few years younger, and has never in her life been a lb overweight. Are you doing high protein/low carb?

hope you have a good day today,
Ivy
lionessgrr
on 8/16/10 3:38 am
Thanks,

I've had my blood work and everything was normal.  I'm following a high protein diet.  When I'm hungry I try to have a sugar free protein shake.  I've also started having heartburn at night while I'm sleeping, which has never happened before.  I know this sounds silly, but I'm embarassed to call my surgeon.  I was his "star patient."  I did everything I was suppose to do, work in healthcare myself, and now I feel like he would be angry at me for gaining the weight. 
Hondurian Queen
on 8/19/10 2:30 pm - BOSTON, MA
I understand how you feel believe me I do. I have the revison from the band in 2006 to the RNY in 2008 and I have done well I went from 331 to 217 and now I weight 238 I yoyo back and forth from 234 to 242 but That is only beacuse I waws choosing the wrong food and drinking alot of alcohol . But I am cutting all this out to get back to where I know I can be. dont beat yourself up we all are human my surgeon knows what the deal is with me I faced him axccepted the fact that its my doing but I am going to make a change. I wish you much success on getting that weight back off I know you can do it. if you believe so it shall be.

Most Active