Half way there

flucca
on 8/15/10 8:54 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hi, just wanted to let everyone know I had my RNY to DS revision with Dr. Gagner in Montreal on August 6th.  It was done lap even though my first surgery was done open.  Due to massive scar tissue he could only complete half and I now have a VSG sleeve with normal intestinal anatomy.

I guess I'm supposed to be disappointed, but I'm not.......the surgery went well and I'm recovering nicely as opposed to six weeks of hell after my open RNY in 2001.  I'll take about 6 months to a year to enjoy life with my sleeve and then proceed to have the switch completed, but I know the difficult part of reconstructing the stomach and creating the sleeve is done (no leaks, no complications and no open wound to mess with...thank God)  I will never let anyone open me again if I can help it. 
JRinAZ
on 8/15/10 12:58 pm - Layton, UT
flucca,
So glad all went well for you.  It won't be long then before you have the full orchestra working for you!!!!

I had my revision done all at once and it was "open".  I'm soooooo glad that I was opened up so that Dr. Keshishian could clean up all the crap that had been left from my last surgery.  Sometimes the laperoscopic approach isn't as safe (or as fast) as some of us need.  As it was, my surgery had to be lengthened by a couple of hours.....but, I woke up with everything "fixed".  The big long incision hasn't been a problem but figuring out which foods are going to blow my belly up is the killer.  .....  At least you'll have some time to adjust to eating small and slow then the switch will be able to get you to the finish line!!!!

Good luck & Congrats!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

StacysMom
on 8/15/10 5:37 pm
 Congrats on the DS revision!   You must have had one talented surgeon to have been able to do the pouch-to-sleeve portion of the revision laparoscopically!   That's the most difficult part of the RNY-to-DS revision and I have never read of anyone having it done lap.  Kudos to the doc!

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/10 1:14 pm, edited 8/16/10 1:15 pm
I am so glad you had your surgery and there were no complications.  Not surprised at all with him doing you lap, Gagner MD being the first surgeon to perforn the lap DS and having a reputation for taking the most difficult cases no other surgeon would ever take (not saying that was you or not), he truly is a gifted surgeon.  So now you have a VSG, don't be disapointed, just closer to what you want.  Rest up, I will PM you...glad you are well--congrats on the long road

Mila
Jennifer D.
on 8/19/10 4:30 am
Good to hear that all is going well. So I assume you have resolved the back pain and hurting when you drink issues?
flucca
on 8/19/10 8:29 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  The back pain went away and so did the pain with drinking, I guess it was just from the OR and my new sleeve settling in.  I did develop an infection at one of the port sites, luckily there is a local surgeon here in S. Florida who studied under Dr. Gagner and he was happy to help me as one Dr. G's patients.  He drained the infection and started me on Levaquin.  Other than that, I actually feel great, better than I've felt in years....hoping to break the 250 mark this weekend and hopefully 200 by Christmas, that would be a great gift. 
dana712
on 8/19/10 9:23 am
Hi Flucca
I am in the process of an RNY to DS revision with Dr Inabnet in New York City. He said it would be done in two stages first the VSG and then the DS in about 6 months to 1 year later.so how much have you lost? How  much are you able to eat?
Thanks
Dana
Most Active