Scared

Mia H.
on 8/13/10 12:56 pm
When I was 17 years old (2002) I had gastric bypass RNY and lost alot of weight (over 200lbs) I than got a hernia and started to gain weight back(120lb over 5 years). Long story short I had given up on life because no dr would fix my hernia im in pain most of the time and last month everything changed. I went in because I thought I was having a heart attack I was having A fib - meaning my heart was going 180bpm at resting. After they got my heart rate down my chest was still killing me but part of me thought maybe hernia is worse who knows but it was gaul stones! Go in for one thing come out with another. Than an Angel came to me Dr. H and he said he is ganna fix everything. I didnt get my hopes up and today I got a call asking if next week would be ok for surgery!!!! They are going to fix my large hernia take out my gail bladder and do a revision (Duodenal Switch)

HAs any one has a Duodenal Switch as a revision from open RNY?
JRinAZ
on 8/13/10 3:37 pm - Layton, UT
I was revised in May from Rny to DS by Dr. Keshishian in CA.  He's one of the very best and all went well for me.....very smooth sailing!

I wish you the best!  I'm not familiar with your surgeon at all but assume he knows how to do the revision?  ......  You'll do well with a DS!  It totally rocks!

I'd recommend asking your same question on the DS forum.  There are OODLES of Rny revisions to DS who hang out there and can help you out!

Good luck friend!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

StacysMom
on 8/13/10 8:02 pm
 Hey there,

I'm with Joyce on this one.   I've never heard of your surgeon (the one listed under your name) and since only a handful of surgeons in the country have the skill and experience to correctly perform an RNY to DS revision, I'd get more info on both him and the procedure he's planning on performing on you.   It wouldn't be the first time that a patient thought she was getting the DS and woke up with something entirely different!  You need to ask some important questions.

Is he going to reconstruct your pouch back into a working stomach with a pyloric valve, and then cut away the sleeve?  Or will you still be left with some sort of a pouch?  What size sleeve will you be getting?  How long or short is he making your common channel?  Etc.
SassyNicole
on 8/14/10 11:23 am - Harrisville, UT

Hey there....I had my revision on May 7th. Everything went VERY smoothly for me. No complications at all and I am doing great. I have lost about 45lbs. so far. I am so glad I had it done. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me....I'll gladly help and answer if I can.

Good Luck!!!!

Nicole

Mia H.
on 8/14/10 11:29 am
HE said he was going to resize my pouch and bypass much of my intestines so that theres less absorbtion
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/10 3:20 pm - San Jose, CA
That doesn't sound like a DS to me.  WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!
Rena H.
on 8/14/10 5:06 pm - Spokane, WA
That isn't a DS... 

that is an ERNY. If you want a DS you need to cancel that appt and get with a real DS surgeon. If you like your RNY and pouch and just want more vitamin deficiencies then you're on the right path. Good luck, looks like you're gonna need it. 
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

MsBatt
on 8/15/10 5:07 am
I'm going to tell you the same things several people have already told you. What you're describing is NOT a DS, it's an ERNY. And your listed surgeon is not qualified to do a 'virgin' DS, much less a revision.

Find another surgeon ASAP.
StacysMom
on 8/14/10 2:28 pm
StacysMom
on 8/14/10 2:29 pm
  OK, so you are NOT getting revised to the DS.   What you are getting is an ERNY with a pouch tightening.   The ERNY has met with mixed success.  Those who were the most successful with it in terms of weight loss were not bypassed enough to begin with (and therefore the renewed malabsorption was almost like a virgin surgery) OR they their common channels were made so short that, although they lost weight, their labs were so bad that they suffered "failure to thrive" and had to have another revision to undo the malabsorption.

It sounds as though you are confused as to what surgery you want and what your doctor wants to give you.  You thought you were being given the DS, but you are not.   And, this is not the first time I have read of patients who are confused by their doctor as to what surgery they are going to be given.  

Do your research, ask questions and be carefu
Most Active