Average weight loss after a revision

Nicholas_Mommy
on 8/11/10 2:23 am - Manassas Park, VA
Revision on 01/23/11 with
Hello All!!!  I finally have my RNY revision scheduled on the 7th of Sept.  The Dr. said that the weight loss is much slower, closer to 5 pounds a month.  What is everyone else' experiance and what they have heard.

Windra
dasongbirdt
on 8/11/10 6:43 am - Dallas, TX
Well, that would definitely explain alot!  No one had ever told me this before but the weight loss is alot slower than a first time RNY'er.  I had a revision from a lap band to a RNY back in September of last year.  It took me nearly three months to drop 25 pounds.  I am almost a year out next month and I'm struggling to get to the 70 pounds lost mark (I'm just shy of 1 pound).  But, I only lost 20 pounds with lap band in the five years that I had it so I can't really complain too much.  I think you're making a great decision to get a revision though.
314 highest  / 270 surgery / 196 cw / 149 goal 

sjprice
on 8/11/10 8:07 am - Quinlan, TX
I had my revision Nov 2008.  I got to my goal in 9 mos, and my doctors goal in about 11 mos.  I even got below my doctors goal.  It did seem like it kind of slowed down in the 5 month but kicked back in.  Very please with the results.  I'm sure you will also. 

Nicholas_Mommy
on 8/11/10 8:15 am - Manassas Park, VA
Revision on 01/23/11 with
Were you "hungry" all the time after your surgery?  How much exercise did you do?  What was your average monthly weight loss after your surgery?  I have to loose 110 pounds to get to a healthy BMI, I have honestly NEVER been at 145 so I have no clue what to expect, lol!!! 
Debbie M.
on 8/12/10 1:32 am

I had an RNY and lost weight FAST, gained it fast too.

Had my DS revision in February and am down about 120lbs, have 90 to go.

Very pleased with the results - I'm trying not to obsess about it and let the scale control my mood, but it's hard.

Best of luck to you.

Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

charleston-mom
on 8/12/10 2:39 am
I had a revision from lapband to RNY and actually lost faster than a lot of the RNY first-timers. I was told there was not a lot of difference if the problem with the lack of weight loss with the band was mechanical, rather than lack of compliance.

If you were non-compliant with the band, grazing, etc. and don't change those habits with RNY, then you'll still have the problem of slow weight loss, or none, or weight regain.

My band had slipped and eroded, so when I had the RNY, it was like brand new surgery - so I lost fast and lost all the weight. I think it totally depends on compliance. My physician told me a compliant person, even with revision, can lost just as fast as a brand new RNY person.
dasongbirdt
on 8/12/10 11:23 am - Dallas, TX
I beg to differ with the lap band.  The front page of this board actually tells you that if a person does not have the metabolism to sustain only a "restrictive" surgery, such as the band, then you will not be successful.  Everyone loses differently because everyone's body is different.  You just have to figure out what surgery is best for you.  I am a type 2 diabetic so I needed more than just a restrictive surgery, compliant or not.  I exercised and nearly killed myself with liquids because I couldn't eat meat, still only 20 pounds lost in five years.  The lap band was the worst experience of my life!
314 highest  / 270 surgery / 196 cw / 149 goal 

Kimberley H.
on 8/12/10 3:28 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
Hello,

I'm in Winston-Salem and have the band.

Would you be willing to talk to me about the RNY?

Thanks,

Kim
charleston-mom
on 8/12/10 11:03 pm
On August 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM Pacific Time, Kimberley H. wrote:
Hello,

I'm in Winston-Salem and have the band.

Would you be willing to talk to me about the RNY?

Thanks,

Kim
Sure - anytime! Send me a private message! Be very happy to.
StacysMom
on 8/14/10 3:17 pm
 First, it's important to know what you're revising to!!  Are you getting one of the endoscopic procedures (Stomaphyx or ROSE) or the ERNY (with or w/o pouch tightening) or the BOB (lapband over bypass) or the modern DS??

How much intestine was bypassed with your original RNY?   Was it proximal, medial or distal?

Without knowing that, it is hard to gauge what your outcome will be -- especially the outcomes vary for everyone.   It depends if you are adding additional malabsorption to a primarily restrictive surgery OR if you are adding more malabsorption to an already fairly malabsorptive surgery.    If you are more of a virgin to malabsorption, you will probably do better than someone who is just adding more malabsorption, merely because the vili in their intestines have adapted to malabsorption already and will "fight" to absorb more to make up for the new malabsorption which has just been added.

Also, some folks who already had a combo restrictive/malabsorptive surgery (RNY)  may have only BARELY BEEN BYPASSED to begin with and for them, ANY malabsorption will be like a virgin surgery and they will lose more than the typical RNY revision patient.

Those *****vise from the RNY to the DS have an entirely different experience as they get the renewed restriction of the sleeve along with more malabsorption which is set up in a different way than in their original RNY.

The endoscopic procedures don't appear to work at all, not for anyone who has ever posted on these boards.  (And, I've been reading for 3 years!)

Another thing to take into account is the reason for the revision.   Was all of the weight lost with the original surgery REGAINED?   Or was it just a portion of it?   And, why did that happen?   Was the pouch stretched out, so that the restriction no longer was effective?   Or did the malabsorptive component cease to work?   Were there a lot of high calorie slider foods consumed which just went through the pouch w/o stretching it out?  Were there fissures, strictures or other complications which can impact weight loss?

One really can't compare one revision outcome  to another, as you can can clearly see.   
Most Active