Revision on 7/26/10

dfarrell
on 8/11/10 8:58 am - Baltimore, MD
Well,
You certainly sound as if you know exactly what you are talking about.  I will be looking forward to your response when I get my surgery notes.
Doris    
JRinAZ
on 8/11/10 3:56 pm - Layton, UT
On August 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
If you really have a Scopinaro BPD, you have a very large pouch, distal RNY. It looks like this:

A true DS (sometimes called a BPD with DS/duodenal switch) looks like this:

See in the top pic, how there's a big pouch, with a stoma? In the bottom pic, there's a skinny stomach, with the pyloric valve on its bottom end. This is the stomach's natural emptying port, and keeping it means the stomach still carries out all its usual functions. The pylorus opens and closes, and only allows a small amount of food to pass from the stomach into the small intestine at one time. This means no dumping syndrome, and it means that you can't push food out of your 'pouch' by drinking with meals.

If I were you, I'd get a copy of my surgical notes and post it here, and ask someone to help you wade through it so you'll understand exactly what was done to you. This is VERY important, because you WILL run into medical professionals who'll need to know, and since your insides aren't 'standard', odds are YOU will have to explain it to a doctor from time to time. (*grin*)

Also, knowing exactly what configuration you have will help us help you with questions.

As for the foot and leg pain---tonic water contains quinine, which is good for muscle cramps. I don't think that's your problem, but it might be. Drink lots of fluids, and take any pain pills you have left from surgery.
I have been looking for that comparison FOREVER!!!!  You totally rock!  ...... My new DS totally rocks 2!!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

MsBatt
on 8/12/10 1:22 am
I just Googled 'Bilio-pancreatic diversion' and got the images. I figured finding the old BPD would be the hard part, but I got lucky and found this matched pair.
StacysMom
on 8/13/10 8:25 pm, edited 8/13/10 8:28 pm
 Yet another patient confused by her surgeon into thinking she was going to get an RNY to DS revision and ends up with the ERNY!   Or, even worse, the BPD/DS!!     And, I think she may have had her stomach removed and is left with only a pouch!

THE BPD/DS, also known as the "Scopinaro Procedure" is NOT being done anymore because of all the post op problems the patients (er, victims) had with it.  

There is ONLY one DS being performed nowadays and it's the one with the sleeve stomach which preserves the pyloric valve.  

I, for one, am sick of reading about doctors manipulating patients into getting the surgery that the doctor happens to perform, INSTEAD OF THE ONE THE PATIENT WANTS AND ASKS FOR!!  Grrrr!

Oh, and another thing!   I've never heard of this surgeon as being an RNY to DS revision surgeon.   He probably doesn't even have the skill to do it, which is why he just gave her a Distal RNY and is calling it a BPD/DS.   Or, he did REMOVE the rest of her stomach and leave her with a pouch and now there is no way she can EVER get the true DS.

Only a handful of surgeons in the entire USA have the surgical ability  and experience to perform the RNY to DS revision.   The rest of them just convince their patients that "whatever revision they do perform" is the *BEST* and safest one for them to have.

It makes me so mad!  
Most Active