Revision on 7/26/10

dfarrell
on 8/9/10 10:51 am, edited 8/9/10 10:54 am - Baltimore, MD
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had really, really bad leg and foot pain after surgery.  I know part of the problem is not having enough protein and it is very hard to try to walk with the pain.  I had an  ultrasound last Thursday to check for clots, but thank God, it was negative.  The Doctor told me to try warm compresses but they don't seem to help, either.  I know that in the long run, this will be worth it.  I powdered protein powder is not going down well, but I am doing the best I can.  I did just order something called "ProSource" online today.  That is what I had in the hospital and it is a liquid protein that is added to water and you can add a flavor, such as Crystal Light.  I'm hoping it comes soon.  My last surgery was back in 1998 and I cannot remember never being hungry.  I know it was not that "starving" feeling, but I was able to eat.  I am pureeing soups, but cannot do meat or baby food.  Pureed tuna fish is very good too.  This leg and arch pain is very annoying because I really want to walk and get back to a normal routine.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I was supposed to be revised to DS from RNY, but ultimately had to have the "Dr. Scapinaro" BPD, which is very close to DS.  My pyloric valve was very tight and the doctor was concerned that it may affect digestion.  I am very very serious about me making this work this time.  Please someone help!
Thanks!
Doris
Doris    
Becca63
on 8/9/10 12:10 pm - New Braunfels, TX
I had a similar problem after my lapband/gallbladder surgery. I had a doctor tell me to drink 6-8 ounces of tonic water twice a day.  (when I got up and before I went to bed. I had to mix crystal light with it because it was nasty but it did help some.

Becca from South Texas.

dfarrell
on 8/10/10 12:20 am - Baltimore, MD
Thank you so much for your response.  I wonder what the tonic water has that regular water doesn't?  I will try that. I'm somewhat disappointed also.  I got on the scale today and it read 251.5.  I know Dr. V wanted me to wait until my next appt 8/24, but I was too anxious.  I guess with not much activity can play a huge part in the weight loss process.  I will think positive, try to walk through the pain and get on with it.  Also, does anyone know anyone who has had the "Dr. Scapinaro" BPD and how it worked for them?  Thanks to all for any support. 
Doris    
Jennifer D.
on 8/10/10 3:39 am
I know you said you had an ultrasound to rule out clots but if the swelling and pain continues or the swelling moves I would have that checked out again. It's interesting how the BPD is being done again.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
dfarrell
on 8/11/10 8:04 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks for your response, Jennifer!  I talked with the surgeon's office and my PC today.  My PC feels maybe it is intramuscular.  I am waiting a few days and see if I can work it out myself.  I just wish I felt good enough to walk around the block.
Doris    
MsBatt
on 8/10/10 7:18 am
Are you saying he made a judgement call and decided to toss your pylorus??? He didn't even want to give it achance to wake up???

I think I'd sue.
dfarrell
on 8/11/10 7:58 am - Baltimore, MD
I don't think he tossed the pylorus.  In my consultation before the surgery, he explained through diagrams that he had to wait until he actually saw how everything had settled after the initial RNY.  My original surgery was in 98.  I knew that this other "Dr. Scapinaro" surgery may have to be done.  After doing the research, it looks very similar to the DS.  I'm very trusting when someone tells me they did what they thought was best.  I'm not really sure what the pylorus does?  Can you explain?
Thanks.
Doris    
MsBatt
on 8/11/10 8:13 am
If you really have a Scopinaro BPD, you have a very large pouch, distal RNY. It looks like this:

A true DS (sometimes called a BPD with DS/duodenal switch) looks like this:

See in the top pic, how there's a big pouch, with a stoma? In the bottom pic, there's a skinny stomach, with the pyloric valve on its bottom end. This is the stomach's natural emptying port, and keeping it means the stomach still carries out all its usual functions. The pylorus opens and closes, and only allows a small amount of food to pass from the stomach into the small intestine at one time. This means no dumping syndrome, and it means that you can't push food out of your 'pouch' by drinking with meals.

If I were you, I'd get a copy of my surgical notes and post it here, and ask someone to help you wade through it so you'll understand exactly what was done to you. This is VERY important, because you WILL run into medical professionals who'll need to know, and since your insides aren't 'standard', odds are YOU will have to explain it to a doctor from time to time. (*grin*)

Also, knowing exactly what configuration you have will help us help you with questions.

As for the foot and leg pain---tonic water contains quinine, which is good for muscle cramps. I don't think that's your problem, but it might be. Drink lots of fluids, and take any pain pills you have left from surgery.
dfarrell
on 8/11/10 8:27 am - Baltimore, MD

I truly thank you for this information.  I believe I will request a copy of surgical notes for my PCP. At least I can get them.  I have an appt on 8/24 but can return to work on 8/23. I thought I had done my research, but apparently not enough. Are you a medical professional?  I am trying to drink lots of fluids and am patiently waiting on my "liquid" protein that I know I will be able to get down.  
I will post when I get the records.  Thank you again! 

Doris    
MsBatt
on 8/11/10 8:49 am
No, I only play doctor. (*grin*)

I'm 6.5 years post-op from my DS, and we DSers generally HAVE to take this medical stuff pretty seriously. I did a lot of research before I had surgery, but a whole LOT more since. I come here nearly every day, and I usually learn something new every day, too.

LMK when you get your notes. I'm surious to know exactly wehat he DID do. Sometimes the pylorus won't 'wake up', if it's been unused for a long time, but I just can't imagine not giving it a chance. It's possible he wasn't able to put your stomach back together---what's usually done first when doing a revision from the RNY to the DS. After they put it back together, then they trim it into a Sleeve.
Most Active