BOB and having success

nightnurse1971
on 8/8/10 1:16 pm

There are alot of you still in the trying to figure it out mode... It's strange how something that works for one person doesn't work for another.  So here is my story briefly.

I had DS in 2002 lost 125lbs.. well the last 2 years i started gaining my weight back... I actually gained back 100lbs.  So my revision option was the band. I had the band placed on 06/30/10 . So far in the 5 weeks i have lost 30lbs... I feel so much better and for the first time have control over my eating. I have not had a fill yet and my band is wide open but i am still not really that hungry.  I know i havent' been banded long so i can't tell you what the long term outcome will be but as of right now the two surgeries are working well together.

Sarahlicious
on 8/8/10 1:19 pm - Portsmouth, OH
I had RNY in 2003 and have regained 150 of the 250lbs I had lost over the past 3 years. I'm having ROSE on Tuesday. I've had 2 hernia repairs and have mesh in the abdomin so I was happy with an option that didn't have to got cutting through adhesions, etc. We shall see. Welcome to OH.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Jennifer D.
on 8/10/10 4:32 am
Did you have the DS where they leave your stomach & pyloric valve in place then the reaarangement of the intestines or did you have the BPD  version?
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
MsBatt
on 8/10/10 7:13 am
Just curious---why did you choose to get a Band rather than be re-sleeved?
StacysMom
on 8/13/10 8:17 pm
 I think the confusion is that this person got the old DS procedure --  the one where they give you a large pouch, not a sleeve, but they still remove the remainder of the stomach.  It's like a very short channel RNY with an extra large pouch.  

Then it would make sense for her to get the BOB.   She can't revise to a new DS or get resleeved because she doesn't have a sleeve stomach to begin with.  

At least, that's how I'm reading this.  

It's unfortunate that the new DS is still called the same thing as the old one, because it leads to this confusion.   I personally think the old one should be called the "Scopinaro version" or something akin to that. 
MsBatt
on 8/14/10 6:18 am
No, what you're thinking of was never called the DS---it's the BPD.(Bilio-pancreatic Diversion.) The confusion came in when the 'new' procedure was called the BPD with DS. (Bilio-pancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.) This was done to pay homage to Dr. Scopinaro's work, but it REALLY caused a lot of confusion. Now the DS is just called the DS, OR DS with VSG. (More confusion on the way, LOL!)

She says she had the BPD with DS, so she *should* have a sleeve, not a pouch.
MsBatt
on 8/14/10 6:22 am
Oh---wait a mintue. I remember Dr. Timothy Sifers NOW. He's the guy who was telling people he was doing the DS but wasn't. Some people DID get the BPD instead.(And I think some people got nothing other than cut open.)

Okay---that explains a lot.
nightnurse1971
on 8/10/10 9:19 am
I chose lap band cuz i didn't wan t another invasive surgery..

I had the BPD with DS.
MsBatt
on 8/11/10 8:19 am
I just keep hearing SUCH bad things about the  Band. Who did your original DS?
nightnurse1971
on 8/11/10 12:25 pm
Dr. Timothy Sifers out of KC did my orginal surgery ... He died of a alcohol and drug overdose about a month after my surgery. So, I have had absolutely no follow up care.  I am not sure what you have heard about the band .. I have been banded for only 5 weeks with no fill. So far i love it. I belong to another site at www.band2gether.net..... no revision surgeries there but alot of banders willing to share the good the bad and the flab with you. 
Most Active