Thinking about getting a revision....advice helpful!

joyfuljoy2010
on 8/5/10 12:44 pm - Ames, IA
I had the lap-band surgery done in Dec 2008, and had lost around 40 lbs but have gained it all back plus some. Right after my surgery my right hip started to have bad spasms in it so I have not been able to exercise like I would prefer. I have been considering getting a revision to a RNY or the DS. Does anyone know of a good doctor in Iowa that is willing to do revisions? Also does your surgery have to be considered a failure to qualify for insurance for a revision? All advice is welcome! Thanks

smileyjamie72
on 8/6/10 3:39 am - Palmer, AK

Start researching on DS facts.com website, it is very informative & helpful!!!  The DS messageboard has lots of RNY to DS revisions, and also lap-band to DS revisions as well, among others. 

I suggest to RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!!  So you can make the best decision for YOU!!!

Good luck & keep posting!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

joyfuljoy2010
on 8/6/10 3:51 am - Ames, IA
I actually found out my insurance company doesn't cover the DS surgery, pretty bummed about it, but I have been researching to see if the RNY will be worth it for me. Thanks!
MsBatt
on 8/6/10 7:26 am
Your BMI is 52---it can be easily argued that your insurance company should cover the DS FOR YOU because it has a greater chance of getting---and keeping---you at a normal weight. Studies have shown that the DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, ESPECIALLY for those of us with a starting BMI greater than 50. Do you have any co-morbs, like diabetes or high cholesterol? The DS is also the best at resolving or preventing them.
joyfuljoy2010
on 8/6/10 6:56 pm - Ames, IA
I did have gestational diabetes when I was pregnant so I dont know if that counts as a co-morbs or not.
jeanyjane
on 8/6/10 7:03 am - Germany
A lot of US insurence companies say they don`t cover the DS but will nevertheless approve yu if you apply on a case-by-case basis. So you will never know if they cover it unless you really have been denied. And if you get denied, you can almost always force them to pay for the DS through appeals. It depends on your insurence and which state you are in, but after having read dozends of stories from people in similar situations, it seems there is almost always a way to get the DS covered by insurence.

The failure rate of the RNY is high, and after loosing and gaining weight with the lapband your metabolism is now in worse shape then it was before you got the lapband, making it more difficult for you to have sucess after the revision. I highly recommend to 1) research the RNY and the DS and 2) fight for what you want. Or do you want to get a third revision? Here are a number of people who settled for the easy solution when it came to a revision, and now they are facing a third (even more complicated, risky) procedure.
joyfuljoy2010
on 8/6/10 6:58 pm - Ames, IA
I will look into it, I do have tri-care prime remote insurance so its worth a shot. I had no issues getting approved for my lap-band surgery.
terilynn112
on 8/6/10 8:49 am - maryland, NY
I am well into my road towards a RNY from the band. I have had some slips, but for the most part it's ok. So they are using the failure to loose weight. My insurance willa ccept that. I had similar issues, but have been able to walk thru it. I've lost, then gained, then lost again... now because I'm dealing with another slip, I'm gaining. My band is wide open.

My bmi isn't high enough for a dS. So I'm going RNY. And I know MANY that are successful with it.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

jeanyjane
on 8/6/10 8:21 pm - Germany
If you qualify for the RNY, you qualify for the DS. It is not true that the DS is only an option for those who are super morbidly obese. Those with a BMI over 50 (failure rate of the RNY of 35-50 %) benefit the most from the DS, but that doesn`t mean those with a BMI between 35-49 shouldnt get it. Although if my BMI were between 35-40, I`d consider a revision to the sleeve. The studies availible show that weight loss with the sleeve is excellent for those with a low BMI, comparable to the RNY with much less complications.
StacysMom
on 8/13/10 8:46 pm
 If you cannot get the DS covered by your insurance company at this time, at least look into getting the sleeve procedure.   More and more insurance companies are covering it and doctors are adding it to their repertoires.   You can always add the rest of the DS procedure later if you have the sleeve, but once you cut your stomach up into the unnatural configuration of the pouch, it takes a special expert surgeon to reconstruct it into a sleeve if you are unsuccessful with the RNY down the road and want to go for a DS.   

I say, get the sleeve if you can't get the full DS now and it will save you a huge hassle and more risky surgery down the line.  

The RNY seems to fail anyone and everyone who doesn't COMPLETELY change their lifestyle and eating habits.  They gain a lot of their weight back.   From my experience from reading on here and with friends, only the ones who work out, hike, bike ride and don't eat any carbs have been successful with the RNY.   If you think you can keep that up for the rest of your life, then it may work for you.   But, I've seen people who are all "gung ho" for the first 3 years, gain everything back by year 7 and are now looking for the RNY to DS revision.  

And, if you're willing to do all that, the sleeve alone will certainly work for you w/o cutting your stomach into a pouch.  The latest stats have shown that the RNY and the sleeve have practically the same level of success.
Most Active