Anyone that can offer words of wisdom and/or experience

jmwjskasick
on 8/2/10 11:45 pm - Granite City, IL
I am seeking a revision from RNY to DS. This is so scary for me. I never thought I would be in this position and yet, here I am. I am so sick that I have to go through this process again and am terrified of the surgery.

My RNY was lap and went off without a hitch. I healed and never even had to take pain meds. I was back to work in a little over 2 weeks.

This time I am seeking a revision to DS and the doctor performs it open. From what I understand I will be in ICU for a few days and then a regular room. I will also have a NG tube and drains. I have had a c-section and the RNY, thats it. I know on my OP report for the RNY it took her an extra hour and a half because she had to remove scar tissue. I imagine that is going to be worse with this surgery as there was a lot of cutting done.

The risks the first time around were there, but I had faith that I was a good candidate, I was healthy other than the weight. Now this time there is a really long involved process and from what I understand there is a whole new field of dangers and risks with a revision to DS.

Anyone that has been through this would be angels to me if you can share your experiences (good AND bad). I just want to go into this with as much knowledge as possible. I have been researching and feel I chose a doctor that has a great reputation (Dr. Anthone in NE).

Thank you so much everyone!
shele
on 8/3/10 9:56 pm

Please post on the ds board.. there are many rny to ds revisions there that would be more that willing to talk with you.

Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/10 10:02 pm - Bayonne, NJ
If you're sure he can do a FULL rny to ds revision, and he's done others, go for it. I had mine done in December and it was the best decision I ever made. Dr. Greenbaum completely reversed the RNY, excised out the extra ring around my stoma, and converted everything over to the DS.

It's like night and day. My life is much more normal.

I was in ICU for 4 days, on the regular floor for 1 day, and then I was home. No complications other than catching c. diff and that's gone now. I have no trouble getting in vitamins or protein. It's such a difference from the RNY, it's amazing.
Jennifer D.
on 8/7/10 5:48 pm, edited 8/7/10 5:48 pm
My RNY was open and the 6 week recovery was difficult but no infections and really the pain was managed well. I was lucky enough to be approved to see someone who would do the DS surgery lap. I was out of the hospital in 36 hours and grocery shopping the next day. Lap surgery made a huge difference if you are willing to find a surgeon who will do it for this surgery too (complications led to only half my surgery being done : ( )
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Most Active