Revision Surgeons?

GloryG
on 7/26/10 2:05 pm
OK, I had my lab band removed in October and am looking to revise to DS. I hear people talk about finding an experienced DS revision surgeon, but I don't see any specific lists of these folks. Can anyone help?

I have been planning on going to Dr. Sudan at Duke, but I thought I would ask on this board.

Thanks! 
Debbie M.
on 7/26/10 9:30 pm
I don't know any in NC - you might want to post your question on the DS board. I revised from an RNY to DS and used Ara Keshishian in California.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

GloryG
on 7/26/10 9:36 pm
 Thanks, Debbie!
buckridge
on 7/27/10 6:32 am
Best experienced DS revision surgeons are John Rabkin in San Francisco, Ara Keshishian in LA and David Greenbaum in NJ.

I've heard good things about all of them and personally know a couple of people who have had their Revision with Dr Rabkin and are extremely happy with the outcome.

Best of Luck.

GloryG
on 7/27/10 6:39 am
 Thanks. Although the more I think about it, I am not sure if I need someone with a lot of revision experience in that I will have had my lapband out for over a year by the time I have the surgery so except for some potential scar tissue, which I think any good DS surgeon would have to prepare for, it is almost like a virgin DS. Any one agree or disagree?

Thanks!! 
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/10 7:22 am - Bayonne, NJ
As long as your anatomy is intact and you don't have damage from the lap band, a good DS surgeon should be able to help.  Post on the DS board, you'll get suggestions.  See dsfacts.com for info on good docs.
GloryG
on 7/27/10 7:43 am
 Thanks, baileymouse. That is the feedback I am looking for. I did a barium swallow and everything looks intact. I mostly had to get it removed because I had no fill but could not get much down. Fortunately no erosion or slippage, but lots of irritation and swelling that did not want to resolve on its own without removal of the band.  I guess that is where the name CrapBand came from (Sorry to those of you folks looking to revise to a LapBand. After 6 years, I am not a fan and can't wait to be switched!! 
gbc1102
on 7/28/10 6:52 am - Durham, NC
Hi GloriaG:  I'm in North Carolina as well (Durham) and I'm researching a revision from RNY to DS.  I have been working with my initial surgeon, Dr. Enochs, however I'm very disappointed with his office staff.  I've been told that Dr. David Greenbaum in NJ would be the best option (on the East coast) becasue this is a very delicate surgery but he is not taking any new patients until January.  I'm strongly thinking about contacting Duke to see if they have someone who is performing this surgery.  How has your experience been with Duke and have you had any problems with the staff there?
GloryG
on 7/28/10 12:26 pm
 So far, so good. I really like Patrick the NUT and Hilary Blackwood the NP. I had my original band done at Duke and have to say this experience so far has been much better. I have heard that some have had challenges with the staff, but so far I have had a good experience. Dr. Sudan has a very good reputation as a DS surgeon, but I don't know how much experience he has had with revisions from RNY to DS since that is not something I have researched. Good luck!! 
stillhopefull
on 7/28/10 10:20 am
 You also have Dr. Gagner in Montario.
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Most Active