Medically needed revision

tarakae
on 7/25/10 4:53 pm - Meridian, ID
Hi everyone.  New member here!

I had gastric bypass in 2003 and did awesome in my weightloss journey untilll January of this year.  I had several peptic ulcers and one perforated.  Surgery on the perforated ulcer led to two strictures.  Which led to the five month journey for a Dr. to find that I had several places twisted in my intestines that led to surgery two.  Now, nothing is working...  Dr. tried first feeding me with a pic line and now I have a feeding tube because nothing will heal my pouch.  I am having a revision to my normal stomach in a few weeks.  I am 5'5" and weigh less than 90 pounds.  Has anyone had these issues, do you know anyone who I can talk to or anywhere I might find some information on what to expect?  I really cant find anything.  Most information is on revising to another type of weightloss surgery and not going back to the old belly.  I assume I will gain all my weight back, slow or fast.  I really dont care.  I have been so sick and malnurshed that I would rather have it back to normal anyway.  I would appreciate anyones input.
karenh1127
on 7/26/10 5:12 am - Deer Park, TX
I have no info but wanted to say sorry for your horrible experience. I wish you the best and good health!
candycain1278
on 7/26/10 5:37 am - Anderson, IN
I know there use to be a couple people on the main forum that had to switch back to their old stomachs.  I think one of them gained weight back pretty quickly but the other never regained her "appetite."  I don't have much information either but wanted to say that I'm sorry for your trouble.  That is AWFUL.  I wish you the best of luck!
"Life is hard.  Afterall, it kills you."- Katherine Hepburn
SW 387.1/ CW 229.1/ GW 190 (Updated 7/27/10)

JRinAZ
on 7/26/10 8:08 am - Layton, UT
On July 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM Pacific Time, tarakae wrote:
Hi everyone.  New member here!

I had gastric bypass in 2003 and did awesome in my weightloss journey untilll January of this year.  I had several peptic ulcers and one perforated.  Surgery on the perforated ulcer led to two strictures.  Which led to the five month journey for a Dr. to find that I had several places twisted in my intestines that led to surgery two.  Now, nothing is working...  Dr. tried first feeding me with a pic line and now I have a feeding tube because nothing will heal my pouch.  I am having a revision to my normal stomach in a few weeks.  I am 5'5" and weigh less than 90 pounds.  Has anyone had these issues, do you know anyone who I can talk to or anywhere I might find some information on what to expect?  I really cant find anything.  Most information is on revising to another type of weightloss surgery and not going back to the old belly.  I assume I will gain all my weight back, slow or fast.  I really dont care.  I have been so sick and malnurshed that I would rather have it back to normal anyway.  I would appreciate anyones input.
Hey there Idaho friend!
I was in a similar boat just a bit ago.  I didn't get nearly as critical as you though.  I dipped below 100 pounds for a while and struggled to survive daily with normal life.  My iron tanked.  My labs tanked.  My quality of life was horrible! 

I was just revised in May from an Extended Rny to a DS.  When you say you'll be going "back to your old belly"......you can do that AND still have a WLS in place for control in the future by having a sleeve built and a completed DS.  I didn't have to go on the pic line because I was able to gain enough weight to go into surgery fairly strong.  I gained weight while on the feeding tube they placed AFTER the surgery and have lost the post- surgery regain and am now working on finding a good weight to stabilize.  I'm at a normal/healthy BMI right now but all of my clothes are a couple of sizes smaller soooo.......I can really work it and go on the low side of normal or just go shopping and stay where i'm at!!!  LOL!

Your situation sounds so very much like mine.  I went to several surgeons before finding the answer that sounded best for me.  Dr. Keshishian in the L.A., CA area was willing to take my high risk case and pretty much whipped me through the O.R. without any problems at all!!!!

I understand that they want you to get back into a healthy weight.  I also understand that you need to be able to better absorb nutrients.  BUT....like me, you may stress over the possibility of regain by just "undoing" it completely!!!  Revising to the DS can give you the weight stabilization, the absorption (the tummy absorbs more than the Rny pouch but you'll still need to be on high maintenance vite supplements), and yet keep your weight gain in check for the future.

Dr. K's info can be found at www.dssurgery.com 

I wish youthe best of luck friend!  I can imagine that you are just on survival mode right now and can barely think let alone research your options. 

Oh and....regarding your twisted intestine.....mine were all fused into my bowels as well as other crazy findings when he opened me up....the revision is a chance to clean up all that is wrong within i.e. ulcers, hernias, intestinal twists and turns....etc.

Let us know how we can help support you! 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active