Not Happy With LB - Looking to Switch

AnnePrince
on 7/24/10 2:36 pm - Bloomfield, NJ
Hello - I am looking for some input from others who have had lap band surgery but are considering or have switched to GBP.  I had my surgery in Sept of 2008 and did well for a few months (high of 275 - got to 240) and then had a series of events that got me off track (was in the hopital for 11 days with bi-lateral pnemonia and was put on massive dosages of steroids which had me practically eating the wallpaper off the walls and then caring for my very ill father, etc).

I went for 1-2 fills but always found that I could seem to eat more or was never totally full.  I had no problem with my surgery or doctor (Karl Strom), and am embaressed that I haven't been back or contacted him but now I found myself at a new all time high of 300 and am seriously considering either a mini or gastric bypass.

We initially agreed on the lap band thinking it would be a more slower, consistent weight loss but for whatever the reasons are, it just did not/is not working for me. 

My questions are - has anyone had the lap band and made the switch to GBP - I am trying to find real information/statistics on the reversal and stories (both good and bad) of people who made the switch.

I would apprciate any and all comments.

Thanks!
Anne Prince
Bloomfield, NJ
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/10 7:06 am - Bayonne, NJ
Lap band doesn't usually work for someone with a high bmi, so don't beat yourself up. Consult with a good revision surgeon.

Have you considered the DS? I drove down to Dr. Greenbaum in South Jersey, and I know Dr. Pomp and Dr. Roslin in NY will do a conversion from a lap band to the DS. You can ask over on the DS board. There are a lot of people who have given up the lap band.  

I actually revised from RNY to DS due to complications, and I've never been happier. I am lower that my RNY surgeon's goal. :)
terilynn112
on 7/25/10 10:01 am - maryland, NY
Hi. I'm in the same boat. I got my band in september 2008 also. I'm going RNY (or gastric bypass). I lost some, gained some... and currently holding around my surgery weight.

I have to wait until September 16th to actually start my journey, but have done the dietary, and the psych portion is this week.

Good luck
teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Most Active