had band removed... now having RNY... worried... help.

mylament
on 7/24/10 8:26 am - MO
Hi there! I am a lapband patient who had the band in 04, it slipped in 06 and i lost 160 lbs from may 06 until june 07 b/c i could not keep any food down. they finally took the band out while i was 6 months pregnant b/c my blood work was crazy and i had already had a couple miscarriages b/c i could barely keep myself alive, let a lone a baby growing in me, too.

now, i'm approved to have RNY Thursday and wondering about others experience w/ this situation. 

i've read others have had extremely slow weight loss w/ revisions... like 20 lbs and then tapered.... I'm 390+ and can't risk only losing 20-30 lbs. I need to lose a lot during the first 6 months to jump start me. 

Any advice?

Thanks a BUNCH!
Debbie M.
on 7/24/10 11:28 am
Hi there,
I had an RNY in 2002, lost the weight then gained it back, you can read my profile for details on that.  Anyway, I revised to a Duodenal switch in February and have lost 110lbs.  I've got another 90 to go so I'm thrilled with the results.  I don't know how tall you are, but my BMI was 54 when I had both surgeries - I was saddened to find out that there is a 30% chance of regain with an RNY when you have a BMI over 50.  I only bring this up because this isn't something you're going to want to go through a 3rd time. 
The major difference I find between the 2 surgeries, is the RNY feels a bit more like dieting, low fat this, light that.  The DS is more like Atkins, high protein, low carb.  My cholesterol went from 185 to 116 in 3 months. Energy is great and I feel fantastic.
I wish you the best of luck with your RNY, some people do well, I hope you're one of them
Take care,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

charleston-mom
on 7/24/10 12:48 pm
I had my band removed in 2007 and revised to a RNY. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm 52 and lost all my weight and fast. The people you may have heard about losing do slow are people who were non-compliant. They didn't do well with either surgery. The RNY is night and day better than the band. I weigh in maintenance anywhere from 103 to 106. I'm a size zero to a two depending on the clothes. The RNY enabled me to lose all my excess weight. According to my doctor now, I'm one of his only top 5 patients that made it to ideal body weight. You can do it!!! I'm thrilled for you and so excited for you! I was worried two, but after two slips and erosion of that terrible band, there was no choice. I won't say it doesn't take hard work. It does but it the best thing I ever did!
JRinAZ
on 7/26/10 8:55 am - Layton, UT
On July 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:
I had my band removed in 2007 and revised to a RNY. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm 52 and lost all my weight and fast. The people you may have heard about losing do slow are people who were non-compliant. They didn't do well with either surgery. The RNY is night and day better than the band. I weigh in maintenance anywhere from 103 to 106. I'm a size zero to a two depending on the clothes. The RNY enabled me to lose all my excess weight. According to my doctor now, I'm one of his only top 5 patients that made it to ideal body weight. You can do it!!! I'm thrilled for you and so excited for you! I was worried two, but after two slips and erosion of that terrible band, there was no choice. I won't say it doesn't take hard work. It does but it the best thing I ever did!
You said:  "The people you may have heard about losing do (too?) slow are people who were non-compliant. They didn't do well with either surgery."

Our population hears this from everyone all the time.  That it's "our" fault and that we are non-compliant.  To hear it on this forum as a "catch all" is offensive.  I didn't do well with TWO types of Rny's and I was VERY compliant!!!  I was in competitive athletic events, lead support groups, and worked in the industry teaching others.  SOME may gain because they are non-compliant but that just proves they need a surgery that is more forgiving than an Rny. 

The fact that your doctor even acknowledges that your situation and success is unique speaks volumes of the Rny.

"The RNY enabled me to lose all my excess weight. According to my doctor now, I'm one of his only top 5 patients that made it to ideal body weight"

I know you said you had the Rny because it was all that your insurance would cover back then.  I appreciate you cheering other Rny's on to give them hope.  I just feel like it's misrepresenting a bit to our newbies reading this forum to give them false hope in revising to an Rny.  Few Rny's can be one of their doc's top 5 patients.  The stats just dont' support it.

I honestly admire and respect you and your journey because you have been compliant and successful and are a wonderful inspiration and example to many of us.  I guess I *****le when I see our population accused of always being non-compliant.  We all had WLS in the first place because we were metabolically challenged in some fashion and couldn't just diet like the norm.  We need the best chance possible.  "Generally" that's NOT the lapband or the Rny.

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

charleston-mom
on 7/26/10 9:56 pm
On July 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On July 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:
You said:  "The people you may have heard about losing do (too?) slow are people who were non-compliant. They didn't do well with either surgery."

Our population hears this from everyone all the time.  That it's "our" fault and that we are non-compliant.  To hear it on this forum as a "catch all" is offensive.  I didn't do well with TWO types of Rny's and I was VERY compliant!!!  I was in competitive athletic events, lead support groups, and worked in the industry teaching others.  SOME may gain because they are non-compliant but that just proves they need a surgery that is more forgiving than an Rny. 

The fact that your doctor even acknowledges that your situation and success is unique speaks volumes of the Rny.

"The RNY enabled me to lose all my excess weight. According to my doctor now, I'm one of his only top 5 patients that made it to ideal body weight"

I know you said you had the Rny because it was all that your insurance would cover back then.  I appreciate you cheering other Rny's on to give them hope.  I just feel like it's misrepresenting a bit to our newbies reading this forum to give them false hope in revising to an Rny.  Few Rny's can be one of their doc's top 5 patients.  The stats just dont' support it.

I honestly admire and respect you and your journey because you have been compliant and successful and are a wonderful inspiration and example to many of us.  I guess I *****le when I see our population accused of always being non-compliant.  We all had WLS in the first place because we were metabolically challenged in some fashion and couldn't just diet like the norm.  We need the best chance possible.  "Generally" that's NOT the lapband or the Rny.

If you read the majority of my posts, I say there is no doubt that DS is the best WLS. I've been saying that for at least a year. But not everyone can go that route, either due to insurance or stomach scarring like I had. I don't think there is anything wrong though with letting people know that RNY can truly work with compliance. I'm the first to admit how hard it is. DS is better surgery, but compliance honestly can make it work.
karenh1127
on 7/25/10 3:09 am - Deer Park, TX
I am about to have my band out and revised to rny!  I initially was losing with the band (65lbs) but mostly because I could not keep food down.  Then I discovered that sweets and high carb foods went down easy.  Back came the weight and issues with the band.  My doc said since sweets are my downfall that I need more than portion control (lapband).  I need something with malabsorption so I will be encouraged to not eat the bad stuff.  He feels I will probably lose all if not more than my excess weight.  I have read that those who only need to lose 100 lbs or less usually lose slower than those who need to lose alot more.  I only need 100 lbs so I am prepared for this.  Go into this with a positive attitude and you will be successful.  And these boards are great too for encouragement!  Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/10 7:09 am - Bayonne, NJ
If you weigh 390+ I'd go for the DS over RNY for a revision. Why? RNY will take off an average of 60% of the excess weight. The DS gives better results for someone with a higher BMI.

I revised from RNY to a DS. I was 221 when I revised on 12/21/09, I'm 164 today and still losing. I was 328 when I went for the RNY and I was extremely compliant. I couldn't lose beyond a certain point and I had trouble with the additional ring around my stoma.
Zee Starrlite
on 7/25/10 3:27 pm
You may want to consider the best surgery for your  BMI/weight - the Duodenal Switch!

Good luck

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

mylament
on 7/26/10 9:17 am - MO
 thank you all for the input. i'm weighing it, no pun intended, heavily and pondering what to do.

my insurance is messed up and only approves RNY. for NOW. soon, the insurance may change, and i've considered that. 

i just hate to go through the whole process over, again, of pre op testing, pre op diet the insurance requires, and all the other things (psych eval, etc.)

Again, thanks a bunch!

Britt U.
on 7/26/10 11:09 am - Mill Creek, WA
I also had  a lap band that slipped. Between trying to eat foods that wouldn't make me sick and later having the band removed I regained almost all of my weight. I revised to a VSG on June 9th and am down just under 30 pounds. I love the sleeve, it's what I thought the band would be. I eat a little and feel satisfied. It also removes your stomach's ability to produce grehlin which makes you feel hungry. Not everyone gets the grehlin effect but I did, I never get hungry. I sometimes feel empty like I should eat but I'm not hungry and I don't care a whole lot about food. Once in awhile something sounds good and 2 or 3 bites is all I care to have.
Most Active