Looking into revision feeling like a HUGE failure

jmwjskasick
on 7/24/10 3:31 am - Granite City, IL
So needless to say I feel like a giant failure...

I had gastric bypass 3/25/08 and managed to lose just under 100lbs. The lowest I got was 267 from my highest weight of 360.

I am now a little over 2 years out and I have started to regain like crazy. I feel like a HUGE failure.

I am now looking into all options that could get me back on track. I am looking for any suggestions for surgeons that I can look into in the state of Missouri that does revisions.

I am terrified of a revision, after my surgery I had no complications and walked away with no pain or anything. I didn't even have the pain meds filled. I know that a revision is quite a bit more risky and can come with lots more complications.

So far it looks like the best option is DS after RNY if the RNY wasn't successful. I am going to try to find a doctor that I can talk to about my options and have tests run to see if something is wrong internally.

Any words of wisdom or advice?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
jeanyjane
on 7/24/10 5:55 am - Germany
You know that studies showed the failure rate for the RNY is 35-more then 50%, if the patient has a starting BMI of more then 50, don`t you? Did your surgeon tell you this before your surgery? I guess he didn`t. Most RNY surgeons don`t tell their super-obese patients that they had a much better chance with the DS.. the RNY setup has a high likelyhood for failure. The malabsorbation stops about 2 years after surgery, because the body can and will compensate (growing more vili in the intestines). The dumping will often stop around the same time, and the pouch and the stoma will stretch, because the pouch is made from the stretchiest part of the stmach tissue, meaning you will be able to eat a lot more then before. In combination with the stopping of malabsorbation, it would actually be surprising if you didn`t have problems with regain.

It`s not your fault, and you`re right, a revision to the DS seems like your best option. The less invasive methods are most likely not strong enough for someone with more then 100 pounds to loose. You can find a lot more info on the DS board, there are lots of people who went through a RNY to DS revision.

Good luck!
Debbie M.
on 7/24/10 11:33 am
You're not a failure, your surgery failed you.  Check out my profile, I had an RNY in 2002, lost my weight, then gained it back.  I revised to a DS in February and have lost 110lbs since then and feel fantastic.  I feel human again.  I've been dumping and having diarrehea for years after that stupid RNY - I'm so glad that damn pouch is gone.  Don't know if you've had an opportunity but check out www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com, hopefully you'll find those sites helpful.
You'll need to find an experienced revision surgeon, there aren't a lot of them in the country.  Dr. Rabkin in SF, Keshishian in LA Area,  I understand Dr. Husted just moved to Arizona, and I'm sure there are 1 or 2 more scattered around the country.  I don't know of any in the Chicago area, I know that Rabkin makes trips out their quite frequently, you might want to go check out the DS board and contact one of his patients for info.
Best of luck,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

jmwjskasick
on 7/26/10 3:38 am - Granite City, IL
You know, I did research on this surgery for 4 years before deciding to finally do it. My doctor was good, don't get me wrong. She did a great job with the surgery, but she did not tell me that super obese patients would do better with a DS. I do not think she even told me about it. I feel kind of duped...

I never had dumping, I never really felt that restricted. Maybe this is why. I need to do something, so I guess now I will start looking for a surgeon that will do the DS revision.

Thank you for your kind words, I do feel a little better now
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
JenInNH
on 7/28/10 11:37 am - Concord, NH
Honey, I feel your pain and you are NOT a failure.  I am in the same boat and I am also looking into revision surgery.   The human body is a truly amazing machine and we are all a little different. 

My RNY was Feb of 2003. I was 364 when I started and got down to 205 within about 12-18 months.  I did great for a while....Over the last few years...I am not back up to 350.  I can eat just like any normal person...although I am careful not to.  

Most of these new surgeries weren't even around when I had my surgery.  And NONE of this fabulous internet support.  

I am so glad that I found this site.  Just found it today and I am sure that I will be on here for a while tonite :-)

Hang tough!   We will all get thru this!   I live in the New England area and we have excellent medical facilities here so I am hoping to find a surgeon that will help me.  

cmdtyarmstrong
on 7/31/10 9:06 am - Sullivan, MO
I had my RNY in April 2008 and I too am a failure! I only lost 70 lbs and I am still 100 lbs over weight. I too am looking into a DS and have already seen one dr for it. I am on here trying to find a different dr though because the dr I saw doesnt want to do a ds on me because he says it is too risky. i am going to get another opinion because the ds is really what i think will benefit me. I am searching and making a list. you can message me and i will send you my list of revision to ds drs. If i find any info out about a dr that will do it and i will let you know. I am in missouri and searching for drs that take mo medicaid so i will try and keep u updated.
MsBatt
on 8/2/10 6:01 am
There's a list of 'vetted' DS surgeons here:

www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html

Most Active