Approved !! from band to VSG

Road Less Travelled
on 7/19/10 2:49 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I spoke to the doc's insurance person last Tuesday - so assuming she sent in my information by Wednesday - I was approved on Friday -- and she called me this morning!  3 days = surreal.

1st available surgery date is Aug 31st -- however I am scheduled to go to a conference (in Vegas) the week of 9/13-15 -- is that doable???  (not worried about not being able to eat, as I can back my protein drinks and instant soup.)  OR should I ask for a date after the conference?

WOW

Donna
Metro DC area
Banded 7/07 and soon to be Sleeved !!
LoserinMN
on 7/19/10 4:50 am - Cloquet, MN

Congrats!  I got my approval last Tuesday ( I called the insurance company :) ) Then the letter came on Saturday...revision from band to VSG.  YAY!   Im leaving for vacation next week, and using a lot of my PTO so I am not planning on having it done until the end of August...maybe later.  I'm not sure that I would want to  go on a trip to Vegas so soon after a surgery...lots to do and lots to see....Good luck though!   If I hadnt promised my kids this vacation ( before I knew I was going to have a revision) I would be calling the scheduler EVERY day to get this done soon!! I am sick of this band!  I barely have ANY fill and I am currently stuck on chicken breast....big surprise.  Although, I could eat it just fine last night....this stupid thing is tempermental!   I hate it!

pnkpassion
on 7/21/10 2:30 am

Hi!!

I am so glad that i saw your post as soon as I came online.  I need to leave my band behind!!  I swear...My doc wants to get me a revision to a sleeve..what made you decide on the sleeve?

Congrats BTW!

"To get something you never had, you must do something you have never done"

Road Less Travelled
on 7/21/10 4:47 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with

It's a long story - 3 yrs in the making - but here are some of the reasons:

Took forever to get reststriction --- thus little weight loss the 1st yr - good amount the second yr and none the 3rd yr.  On top of that it always hurts to eat -- so when in pain I stop eating, yet still hungry - now 3 yrs out I find myself grazing because I am hungry.

I hate the pain of the food entering my band -- even when I was almost unfilled it hurt.  Don't know what casues this - Doc says he see 4-5 patients a yr with "band intolerance" and it can't be explained -- me however was worried that it was the pre-curser of erosion.

So I did some research and i figure it's going to have to come out at some point - better now when I can still move vs still being fat and old and can't move :-)

so I went to PCP and he wrote a letter as did I and Dr Mo's office sent it in.  When I am restricted it works - but I can't keep the restriction with the band so the band has failed me.

In the end - I did not want RNY or DS -- because "what if" someday I need meds that need to be absorbed and they can't so I die.  The stats show that the sleeve works and it works by giving you restriction without all the bad band side effects.

thank god it was approved - I feel like I can now have a normal BMI someday - and even when I was up to get the band, I knew I'd never get to "normal".  I feel hopefull again.

saralynne65
on 7/21/10 1:50 pm
Revision on 01/23/13
I'm considering the same, revision from band to VSG. I've had the band since 2007 and a similar experience as you. Very depressed and down on myself about it but after 40 lbs off I've stalled the ast yr & a half. I feel like such a failure & I'm not getting any younger. I want to be healthy and just don't think I'm going to make it with the band.

I'm frightened of a more invasive/dangerous procedure but more frightened of worseing rheumatoid & losing my mobility due to obesity.

I'm so happy for you that you were approved. I hope I get approval too, just getting started here..will keep you in my thoughts. Did you get a surgery date yet?

~Sara
Road Less Travelled
on 7/22/10 12:29 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I did get a date of 8/31 then changed to 9/7 -- but I have a conf. on 9/13 --- so it's now 9/21 -- I am considering not going to the conf.  but it might be a career limiting move if I don't :-(

I too knew at some point now or later this band was going to have to come out (emergency due to an eroison) or other issue -- so I told to doc to go ahead and see if it can get approved now - and thank god it did --

I knew I would not loose anymore weight with it - and only keep gaining and hurting -- and I want to loose this weight now -- at 47 yrs old its not going to get any eaiser to loose weight
Most Active