Update on Revison last Tuesday

brandlin23
on 7/19/10 2:32 am - Ft. Wainwright, AK
Hi everyone!
So I had the surgery last Tuesday and nothing about this has been easy or normal. So as some of you might know I originally went in for a gastric fistula repair and to be converted to a distal RNY. So not all of that exactly happened. I was operated on on Tuesday at Providence Hospital in Anchorage, AK, but things got a little hairy. So yes we all knew my pouch was somewhat fused to my stomach, but apparently my spleen didn't want to be left out, so it fused with my stomach! The spleen did not present itself right away which developed into a good amount of blood loss. My doctor was able to finally stop the bleeding and repair the spleen, stomach, and reconstruct the pouch which was a huge mess. Due to the loss of blood, no more was done. I ended up having to have two blood transfusions and had to stay for 4 nights in the hospital, but I am out now. My small incision is now a 12 in*****ision, but it was necessary to stop the bleeding. I am now having problems with acid reflux, I think, not sure. I have a Dr's appt today at 1030, so we can see what is going on. I am in a good amount of pain and my pain meds make me nauseous, but hey I am here! I am sad that I can't play with my little girl and let her sleep with me when she has a bad dream, but all it time everything will be back to normal. I don't know if reconstructing the pouch will work, my surgeon is confident that it will since it was a mess and wasn't working correctly for a long time, but this is my situation, and I will make the best of it. Sometimes we don't know what God has in store for us, but all we can do is make the best of it! Good Luck to Everyone This week who has upcoming surgeries!! You will all do great!
Road Less Travelled
on 7/19/10 2:48 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
oh dear - I am so glad you are OK.  thanks for the update and get lots of rest, lots of fluid, and since you have all that new blood - you might not need lots of iron :-)

keep me posted on your recovery.  How's your little one doing? IS she getting better at understanding that mommy can't pick her up?

donna
crteacher
on 7/19/10 5:26 am - Salem, NH
Holy cow on that surgery!  I am glad they were able to hopefully fix things. Your inside organs are obviously fond of each other! ;)
I had my revision on Monday and I know what you mean about the kids. My youngest is 16 months and I did not see her from Tuesday thru Sunday and now she is at the sitter this week while I am home becasue of not being able to chase her and pick her up.  She gets upset that I won't pick her up.
I have my follow up with the surgeon tomorrow and then meet with the Diet lady Friday to advance to full liquids and purees.
Keep us posted.
Candice  Revision to RNY 7/12/10
Wife to David
Mom to Lindsay and Zackary and Lauren

shele
on 7/19/10 12:35 pm

Wishing you a fast recovery also!... did want to tell you too that if you 'show" her your owie, she will most likly understand ant try to protect you!  I dont mean to show her the incision, but just the bandage. 

Good luck and speedy recovery!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

mrlddst
on 7/19/10 8:28 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I'm glad that your alright! Let us know what the doc says.
shele
on 7/19/10 12:39 pm

Well I am glad you are doing ok after all that!  I love your attitude, keep it up!

With your girl ( mine was 3) at the time, I showed her the boo boo  bandage, and she seemed to understand and protect me!  It was sweet/

I hope you get through this very quickly!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Zee Starrlite
on 7/20/10 2:38 am, edited 7/20/10 2:40 am
Wow, sorry you had to go through all of that!  Hope you have speedy healing.

The pouch repair alone may do the job - which is great as you've not had a huge gain and if it works, and it can, you will be so much better off not having the additional malabsorbtion.

All the best to you,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active