Having a Revision on Tuesday

Libby S.
on 7/18/10 1:24 pm - Mobile, AL
 Hello OH Friends : >

I had open RNY in 2002.  I am having a (laproscopic) revision on Tuesday and of course I am scared : <

I originally lost 110 lbs but my pouch has stretched in length and in the size of the opening and I have gained back about 50 pounds.  I chose Dr. Bryan Freeman of Anniston, AL for my revision. Mobile, AL (where I live) is a much larger city but there is no one here that does revisions.

Dr. Freeman is an experienced laproscopic surgeon (about 15 years) that has done over 3000 surgeries and about 300 revisions - however, it just occurred to me that most of those revisions were undoubtedly band to RNY.  It didn't occur to me earlier to ask about this distinction and I am afraid to do it now, since my surgery is on Tuesday : <

I did discuss his mortality rate with him and he has had a total of 5 deaths, which he says is still well-below the 1% national average.  He said that one was a leak, one had undiagnosed pulmonary hypertension, one (recently) had a "blow out" of the pouch and at the time I met with him, they had not determined the cause. I don't recall the reason for the other two deaths. 

Dr. Freeman is going to resect my pouch to make it smaller but he is not going to mess with the rest of the original surgery.

I have read about the different types of revisions but have not seen any discussions about revising the original surgery WITHOUT changing to a different type (ie - without changing from RNY to DS, etc).

Has anyone else just had their original pouch resected without converting to a different type of bypass ?  There are medical reasons for me not converting (I have leukemia...don't need to go too drastic due to nutrition, etc).

I would welcome any input .....but please keep in mind that my surgery is on Tuesday of this week.

Thanks!

Libby

Jeannie A.
on 7/18/10 8:50 pm - Stockbridge, GA

DR. FREEMAN was my surgeron, I really loved him and the staff.

Jeannie Armstrong   
OH Support Group Leader
RNY 07/27/06 
sw358/ cw 175/ qw 175 to 160

I have been blessed with God's Help!

For those in GEORGIA come and join us at PEDMONT HENRY MEDICAL CENTER in the EDUCATIONAL BUILDING in Foundation Board room the 4th TUESDAY of each month at 6:30pm.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/jeannie4759_group/tab,0/page,1/#my_groups_main:1

doughgirl59
on 7/18/10 10:08 pm - New Baltimore, MI
I have tried to get more information on the revision of the RNY. I have not seen any infor either. I am scheduled for a revision on Wednesday. I am putting my trust in my surgeon since I too have gained back 29 lbs. I don't want to get to where I was before. I had mine done 6 years ago. Good Luck.
Libby S.
on 7/18/10 11:38 pm - Mobile, AL
 Thank you, and good luck to you also.  Let's post after our surgeries so we can both know that the other is doing okay : >

Angela B.
on 7/20/10 2:26 am - Atlantic, IA

Good Luck Today Libby and Doughgirl tomorrow!!!

I would love it if both of you would post after your surgeries.  I am having a revisional surgery on August 11th.  Which like you both it isn't to another type of WLS, just fixing some issues that have developed with my RNY.   I have also gained some weigh back (about 40 pounds) and I have a weird webbing thing going on in my stoma.  Plus there is an excess of intestine hanging over before the connection which is causing a candy cane effect and causing me nausea and alot of vomitting.  My surgeon is Dr. McBride who did my original RNY 5  years ago.  I trust her immensely.  They are going to also resection my pouch while they are in there, since it too has stretched some and that will help me take off some of the eccess weight I've gained.  There's a possible fistual that has presented which resectioning the pouch would take care of that also.  

I will try to add you both as friends so we can keep in touch.  I'm not very good at all of this so if it doesn't work please add me or message me.  Thanks for all you info and good luck ladies.  I will be thinking about you both, keep posting your updates.  I know exactly how you are both feeling.  I'm terrified and it's still two weeks away.  Hopefully my nerves will settle down, but I'm not betting on it.

Angie
Libby S.
on 7/27/10 12:04 pm - Mobile, AL
 Hi Angie,

Well, I had my revision on Tuesday of last week.  I got my drains out yesterday.  The first couple of days were scary, because I ran a fever and my hematocrit was so low the Doc was prepared to give me a blood transfusion.  Truthfully, I was thinking "What the heck have I done ?!"  But my situation is not normal because I have leukemia so I was greatly concerned about the fever.

The surgery lasted twice as long as my family expected (four instead of two) and my family was freaking out.  Dr. Freeman said I had lots of adhesions.  My stomach is all bruised, and of course I am in pain, but that is to be expected.  I have liquid lortab to control the pain.

I have started on soft food already... scrambled eggs with cheese, cottage cheese, sugar free jello pudding, etc. and lots of water and Propel.

I am feeling better each day.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Libby

kbush
on 7/27/10 11:39 pm - richmond, VA
Hi Libby,

I'm going today to discuss revision with my surgeon; I had rny in 2005; lost 102 lbs; have put 40 back on. How long were u in the hospital? Any info you have learned thru this is appreciated. I don't remember having drains in the 1st surgery. I said a prayer for u; I know it's tough after surgery. Take care.

randy S.
on 2/21/11 6:07 am - brooklyn, NY
Hi,
What revision did  end up doing. I am debating between the erny (the one my doc wants me to have) or the ds.
  Thanks for ur input.
brute2
on 12/5/11 9:39 pm - mobile, AL
Hi Libby:  I too live in Mobile & am considering rose procedure.  My initial surgery was done  by Dr. Weinstein in 1992 but I have gained all the weight back.  Who did your rose procedure?  Was it somebody local & did your insurance (whose) pay for it?  would like very much to talk to you at length.  can you call?  Bruce Terry  cell 251 408 1032
Libby S.
on 12/21/11 7:01 am - Mobile, AL
Hi Bruce,

I would be happy to talk with you (I'm sorry, I just saw your message of Dec 6).  I considered the rose procedure but didn't read that people had much success so I had a full revision of my original RNY. Did not change to ERNY, just reworked the old surgery.  I had to go to Anniston because I could not find a doctor in Mobile that did revisions.  Dr. Scott did my original surgery.  The Dr in Annison (Dr. Freeman ) said the surgery looked good but the opening had just stretched over time.  I loved Dr. Freeman, so if you are looking for a surgeon for a revision, I would recommend him.

I have not lost any weight from my revision.  I imagine it is due to a number of things.  I have leukemia and take chemo nightly and I know that some of my weight gain is from the chemo, but it is very depressing that I did not lose any weight after the revision.  I think I also began to eat full meals and bad snacking habits again waay too soon after the revision.  Changing my lifestyle was not as easy the second time around.

Again, I would be happy to speak with you on the phone if you still want to talk.  Just let me know.
Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas.

Libby
Most Active