has anyone had residual pain on your left side under the rib cage

ladyluca
on 7/18/10 8:55 am - Canada
I had a revison from stapling to rny laproscopicly May/10.  So far I have lost 45 lbs.
The problem im having is a nagging pain under my ribs that goes through to my back.  I have been to see the surgeon who did a cat scan but said everything looks alright and that it may be muscle or nerve damage??  I have had this pain since I woke up in recovery and could not take in full breaths as it hurt to expand my lungs on the left.  They checked me for heart problems in recovery and that wasnt the problem.  I even asked the doc if he had nicked a rib. It was excruciating and continues, although it is better than it was. Still cant sleep on my left side.  Im 8 wks post- op and was wondering if anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Libby S.
on 7/18/10 12:49 pm - Mobile, AL
 Hello,

I am having a revision to my RNY on Tuesday of this week.  The surgeon is resecting the pouch to make it smaller.  He did an endoscopy on  me a month ago and ever since then I have also had pain on my left side.  I had an abdominal ultrasound a few days ago but everything looked fine on me too.  I googled "left side abdominal pain" and found a lot of information but most of it did not apply to our situation. My surgeon also thinks it is probably just bruising but it seems to me that I should not still be able to feel it after a month.

Unlike you, I don't have increased pain when I take in a deep breath.  I suggest that you also google abdominal pain and see what the possibilities are (pancreatitis, gall bladder, kidney, spleen, etc).  and then ask your doctor to do some more tests.  You know your body and you are your own best doctor.  You should not be in excruciating pain, so don't give up.  Keep pressing until you get some answers.  Also be aware that you are are entitled to a copy of your own medical records. You can ask for a copy of your operative report if you want to take it to someone else to help them investigate the pain.

Good luck to you.  I hope you feel better soon.  

Libby
Vivian Prouty
on 7/18/10 9:43 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Please go and have your doctor check your gallbladder.   I had mine out in Dec.   I was having pains like that.     Then it got alot worse and everything I would eat would make me ill.    Get it out ASAP if that is what it turns out to be.   Hope it is your gallbladder and nothing serious.    Good luck to you.

Hugs and blessings  ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

ladyluca
on 7/19/10 1:05 am - Canada
Thanks for the feed back Libby and Vivian.
I was wondering if it was galbladder as well....but why would it start right after the surgery the pain has diminished so I think whatever it is, is getting better....just seems to be taking a long time?  Anyhow I will continue to check it out with the docs and will post whatever I find out.

Libby I also had a scope prior to surgery and had no problems.  Hopefully you will not have any problems with your up coming surgery.  Im not sorry I had the revision Good Luck I wish you both the best!
Catherine
Most Active