VSG REvision to DS or Stomaphyx?

RainyDayWoman
on 7/19/10 12:42 pm - Fridley, MN
How would Stomaphyx help if you have no stoma?  You have a sleeve, so you have a pyloric valve.
StacysMom
on 7/20/10 12:56 pm
 Back in 2007 and 2008, when everyone was getting the Stomaphyx and ROSE procedures, there was a lot of excitement about both of them.   Then the people had the surgeries and there was NOT ONE POSITIVE RESULT.  

They ALL reported the SAME results.   An initial loss of about 20 lbs, most probably due to the pre and post op diets, and then they GAINED ALL THE WEIGHT BACK PLUS MORE.  

This goes for EVEN THOSE WHOSE DOCTORS SEWED THEM VERY TIGHT AND/OR PUT IN MULTIPLE ROWS OF FASTENERS!   The assumption is that the sutures come undone and so do the fasteners.   And, it makes it difficult for some of the patients to have a real revision down the line because some of their doctors got insurance coverage for the Stomaphyx or ROSE by "pushing a fancy pencil" (if you know what I mean), and the insurance companies don't want to pay for ANOTHER revision after they've already paid for this failed one!

I wish these "Johnny come lately" people who are all gung-ho on these endoscopic procedures would LOOK BACK THROUGH THE TREADS TO THE SUMMER OF 2008 and earlier.   They can read ALL ABOUT IT AS IT WAS HAPPENING!    Instead of making those of us keep telling them over and over again that these procedures DON'T WORK and being accused of negativity!  

I don't even bother anymore, because I am sick and tired of doing their research for them!  Go ahead, get the procedure ... and then we'll see you back on this board, 6 months later begging for info on how to get insurance coverage for a REAL revision!

Celeste76
on 7/22/10 1:48 pm - Gonzales, LA
Thank you for your advice, although I am not the type to "go on ahead" and just get a procedure. That is why I have been asking for your opinions, knowledge and advice. I have done more searching and found info on re-sleeving my original sleeve frm the VSG. I have a consultation next week. Thanks for your time & help.
Celeste76
on 7/22/10 2:18 pm - Gonzales, LA
You know, I just had to come back here and say a few more things to  you.

First of all, I am knew to this board/forum thing and just starting out. I didn't ask you to do any research for me. My inquiries on these forums were targeted to people who have had their own experiences or knew someone who had and were willing to share about them. If they had any of their own previous research and were so kind as to give me that info, then God bless them.  I will just be adding it to my own pile of research.

I did not accuse you of any negativity, nor do I feel that your last paragraph or rather the attitude of, was fair to me or to the other people implied that you targeted. You don't even know me or my situation.

One thing I do know is that the people on these forums are looking for help and answers. We aren't looking for someone to be so callous and unkind. Most of us here are already hurting, humiliated everyday, and emotionally abused in someway from being obese, let alone so unhealthy. These forums should be safe place.

StacysMom
on 7/22/10 4:44 pm
On July 22, 2010 at 9:18 PM Pacific Time, Celeste76 wrote:
You know, I just had to come back here and say a few more things to  you.

First of all, I am knew to this board/forum thing and just starting out. I didn't ask you to do any research for me. My inquiries on these forums were targeted to people who have had their own experiences or knew someone who had and were willing to share about them. If they had any of their own previous research and were so kind as to give me that info, then God bless them.  I will just be adding it to my own pile of research.

I did not accuse you of any negativity, nor do I feel that your last paragraph or rather the attitude of, was fair to me or to the other people implied that you targeted. You don't even know me or my situation.

One thing I do know is that the people on these forums are looking for help and answers. We aren't looking for someone to be so callous and unkind. Most of us here are already hurting, humiliated everyday, and emotionally abused in someway from being obese, let alone so unhealthy. These forums should be safe place.

Celeste, I was not referring to you in my post that you are taking personally.   That post was directed to Heather, who has been badmouthing anyone on this board (on other threads besides just this one) who says anything true about the Stomaphyx and ROSE procedures, because it's not what she "wants" to hear.    Some people just like to live in a kind of dream world, I guess.

I wish you the best of luck and did not direct any of my remarks to you!   
Celeste76
on 7/23/10 3:00 am - Gonzales, LA
I appreciate you letting me know that. Now I can better understand everything. Thanks :)
StacysMom
on 7/20/10 1:00 pm
 If your sleeve has stretched out, you can be "re-sleeved" laparoscopically.    Stomaphyx  and ROSE work (or rather don't work, LOL)  on the stoma or pouch which you DON'T have.

If you already have the sleeve, you have 1/2 way to the DS.   Go and talk to  a DS surgeon about getting the remainder of the switch done.   Don't talk to an MD who doesn't do the DS because they will try to talk you into a procedure that they do perform which is a load of crap!   Check out www.dsfacts.com or www.duodenalswitch.com for the most accurate and up-to-date information on fully vetted surgeons who perform the DS.  And, ask the people on the DS board!
Celeste76
on 7/22/10 1:54 pm - Gonzales, LA
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I appreciate your time! :) With my own research, and talking to others, I have found that to be true regarding the rose/stomaphyx. Fortunately, through my efforts, I have found a weight loss center in Louisiana (that actually has 3 branches in other cities, so is a pretty big practice), that does the re-sleeving laproscopically. I have a consultation next week, and will go to see what my options are. I do know that it is a higher risk surgery the second time around. There is a lot to consider.  I am blessed to have a kind and wise father who will be going with me who always thinks of questions that I don't. Unfortunately, my mother just passed away this passed Thanksgiving day due to a brain bleed that developed 3 days after a routine back surgery. Right now, my family and I are very wary about surgery, let alone me getting another one that will be higher risk. There are many pros and cons to consider that I will be takig very seriously.  I do NOT have insurance, and the only reason I can  afford this is b/c of the money I recently inherited from my mother. I do know that she would want me to get this resolved in the safest way possible. How I wish she were here to see me through this, but I know that I can get plenty of support here from you guys. Again, thanks so much for your advice and help. Good luck to you as well and God bless,

Celeste
RainyDayWoman
on 7/24/10 1:15 pm - Fridley, MN
Resleeving is a pretty tough revision.  The tissue is very stretched and some people have had serious complications with it.  Leaks seem pretty common, although I don't have a study to cite, so you'll have to hunt for data and ask surgeons.  I think a revision to DS with your current sleeve might not be as dangerous as a resleeve, although it's a very different type of revision. 
Celeste76
on 7/24/10 2:00 pm - Gonzales, LA
Thanks you for your thoughts. I have my consult on Wednesday, and those are some real concerns for me. I am def. keeping the DS in mind. God bless :)
Most Active