First time looking into Revision - lots of questions

Julia G.
on 7/15/10 5:50 pm - Bakersfield, CA
I had RNY in August 2004....lost 100lbs but I still weighed 200 lbs.  I maintained at 200 for a while.  In 2007 I had a baby - I only gained 16lbs and lost them within 2 weeks of having the baby....fast forward to 2008 I had baby #2 - I was already uo 13lbs (213lbs) when I got pregnant then I gained another 35lbs getting me close to 250....After the baby I got down to 220 and have not moved since!!  I have been debating a revision  surgery since 2007 before I found out I was pregnant...I had some tests done and sure enough - I had an enlarged stoma and intestine.

I have gained up to 230lbs but I am pretty much at 220 now....since baby no 2 I have gone as low as 215 but no less.  I have employer sponsered Athem in California (my husband works for the County) and I have a million questions.  I see most people going from RNY to DS....is this the best?  Do insurance companies cover revisional surgeries?  what is the recovery period?  Success?  But mostly -- how do i decide which surgery is best??  I filled out an online form and hopefully I will hear from a local surgeon by Monday or Tuesday....
karenh1127
on 7/16/10 1:08 am - Deer Park, TX
I am going from lapband to RNY in a few weeks.  I hear some about the ds but I understand it to be a bit more risky than others.  You need to see a surgeon so he/she can help you decide what surgery is best for you.  Good luck on your journey.

charleston-mom
on 7/16/10 2:11 am
Not sure what to tell you. I went from lapband to RNY and it was the best thing I ever did.

First thing might be to have an upper GI and see what the size of your pouch is and possibly an endoscopy to see what your stoma looks like. If everything is okay, you may be able to do it with your anatomy as it is, without having a revision. If you do have a revision, pretty much the only thing you could do would be a DS. The results with the rose procedure and others like it aren't good.
sosoclark
on 7/16/10 5:13 am - Sacramento, CA
I suggest that you do your research and look at all of your options and then make a decision. I have been on the path to a revision for about 1 year and it is a process. I will be having the same similar testing that you had done in a week to see what is going on. When I eat the food travels down to my intestines, my doctor thinks that the food is backing up out the intestines to give me the full feeling. I guess the test will show something. Bu I have gained some weight and hoping to have the DS as a revision but please do your research.

Sophia
shele
on 7/16/10 7:12 am

Are you by chance consulting with Dr. Kershisian?  If so you rumor has it you will be in great hands!  He said to be one of the best revision surgeons.

I have been down the revision road, had a revision and am now seeking another.  My advice is for you to start researching your options, decide what you want to live with the rest of your lfe,  see what you find to be the surgery with the best longterm results.  Find a doctor that wil do the surgery that you find is best for you, research will point you toward the ds.

A great place to start is www.dsfacts.com

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/10 2:57 am - Bayonne, NJ
I went from RNY to DS. My story was similar to yours, but without kids, lol. I had my son a loooong time ago.

Anyway, if you never got to goal, redoing the RNY won't help all that much. A band won't offer malabsorption, and you probably need it to get the extra weight off. Look into the DS on dsfacts.com, but research everything. All the best.
Most Active