RNY orDS?????

MARYLOO
on 7/14/10 9:59 pm - UK
HI ALL, AFTER A LONG DELAY DUE TO ILLNESS I STARTED INQ.RE REVISION BAND TO DS. WHILE FOLLOWING UP ON ALL YOUR ADVICE I FOUND A SURGEON IN ENGLAND WHO DOES DS AT PRICE I CAN AFFORD, 'BUT' WHEN I WENT FOR CONSULTATION      (£150)  HE THEN SAID HE DID NOT REALLY RECOMEND DS (I WAS NOT HAPPY) AS IT WAS A MUCH BIGGER SURGERY WITH NO BENIFITS OVER BYPASS!!!!  THIS IS NOT WHAT ALL MY RESEARCH SUGGESTS,  SO PLEASE   CAN BOTH BP&DS  PEOPLE TELL ME HONESTLY WHAT THEIR OPINION IS, AS AFTER DISSAPOINTMENT WITH BAND I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANOTHER MISTAKE. SORRY THIS IS SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.maryloo
shele
on 7/14/10 11:45 pm

www.dsfacts.com

I had RNY  revised to Distal RNY, and now am hoping to get the real deal..DS... Your research suggests right!   Get to another surgeon that does the ds...

Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

MARYLOO
on 7/15/10 1:02 am - UK
THANKS SHELE'S  FOR REPLY I HAVE CANCELLED ALL APPOINTS WITH THIS SURGEON  .
maryloo
Monique H.
on 7/15/10 3:40 am
I was researching the independent medical reviews yesterday that overturned or upheld insurance decisions. I found several that stated that according to studies that were done DS did have extra benefits over RNY especially for people with a lot of weight to lose. They actually denied a woman because she wanted to revise from the band to rny but had a lot of weight to lose. In it they said that she should seek to be revised to ds instead as it would have the success she needed for her current bmi.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Debbie M.
on 7/16/10 9:42 am
I suspect your surgeon didn't recommend a revision to a DS because he doesn't do them.  Huge differences between the 2 surgeries - it's good your researching them, you should understand the differences before you proceed.  Lots to think about.

I had an RNY in 2002, lost the weight, then gained it 4 years later.  I suffered from problems with my pouch and diarrehea for years.  I revised to the DS in February and POOF, all better.  No more bathroom issues, pouch issues, life is much more normal now.

Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

shele
on 7/16/10 10:53 am

Debbie,

May I ask what kind of pouch issues you had?

Thanks!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Debbie M.
on 7/19/10 6:05 pm
Hi Shele,
I don't understand your question - I had a very small pouch after my RNY, don't remember how many ounces it was, surgery was back in 2002.
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

shele
on 7/20/10 12:40 pm

I had an RNY in 2002, lost the weight, then gained it 4 years later.  I suffered from problems with my pouch

Just wondering what you meant , if you had ulcers or something specific before your revision to ds.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/17/10 4:06 pm
The DSers call that a "bait and don't switch" surgeon.

I met with several surgeons that said they did the DS, then only when I was in their office, did they either say they didn't do them, or had reasons why I shouldn't have it.

Look up surgeons on DSfacts.com for find vetted DS surgeons.
MARYLOO
on 7/19/10 1:54 am - UK

I DON'T FEEL SO BAD NOW KNOWING OTHERS HAVE HAD SAME EXPERIENCE, WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME INFO RE  SURGEONS  IN UK AS USA, ALSO IN COMPARISON VERY FEW SURGEONS DO BARIATRIC STUFF ESP.DS,  I HAVE ONLY FOUND 4-5 WHO SAY THEY DO DS , WHICH AS EXP. IN FIRST POST WAS NOT QUITE TRUE. OH BY THE WAY HE HAS OFFERED TO REDUCE CONSULT FEE BY £30 DOWN TO £120 FOR INCONVIENIANCE TO ME!!!

Most Active